Is a Unitiserve still a good choice?

If you want to separate hifi from computer, why not consider a Innuos mini or a Naim Uniticore. They will rip cds, store your albums and files.
But if you don’t want to rip, a Nas would be enough. For better sound and easiness, a Melco server.
Then, if you want a modern streamer with Qobuz, Tidal, radio…and storage files capacity, you have Aurender products or Auralic . Other less expensive, but don’t remember the brands. With an Spdif imput, it would connect perfectly to your Ndx, used as a dac only.

Innuos Zen Mini is on the list, but not Uniticore due to advice regards dated operating software.

2 Likes

Not sure where that idea came from. The Unitiserve has a totally outdated Operating System, Windows XP Embedded.

But the UnitiCore has a modern Operating System based on Linux.

It’s true that the UnitiCore is a bit limited in features compared to other options like Innuos. Whether that bothers you is a matter of personal choice.

1 Like

The issue is not how old the operating system, but whether it supported to address vulnerabilities. Windows XP Embedded SP2 has now no support so in that regard it is obsolete. With respect to the newer build OS based on Linux, again the key thing who provides the OS and how is it vulnerability supported? Assuming it is supported, it would follow that Naim would release service patches for it. As I don’t own these components I don’t know how often this occurs. Embedded OS based on or derived from popular kernels are certainly not fit and forget.
Specifically Linux is originally older than Windows XP.

1 Like

I am not sure you can totally seperate them, in my opinion that is an outdated concept… sure you can’t use UnitiCore to book a holiday on, but they are computers in as far as they use embedded OS and operating software… and as such you need to treat them as such and ensure they keep patched and updated with updates from the manufacturer. Computers don’t have to have a keyboard and screen.
Even my washing machine and TV automatically download vulnerability patches now

3 Likes

Its advice that I’ve read on here and other forums, for sure I have no experience of either of the Naim “servers” but they don’t seem to get good rep.

Your post seems to back up my research so far i.e. Unitiserve = an old dinosaur (just like me!) and the UnitiCore = Limited features and problems with compilation albums.

For the same form factor with much better software, features and the ability to add an LPS if you wish, the Innuos Zen Mini is hard to beat.

The UnitiServe has been obsolete for ages and from personal experience is a right faff to set up on your network without considerable network and IT know how. The Core is considerably better in this respect, however, a lot of users appear to run into issues with album artwork, metadata, etc.

I discarded my UnitiServe in favour of an Innuos Zenith Mk III and haven’t regretted it for a second :grinning:.

ATB, J

1 Like

Simon you might be surprised how many modern products run a fully supported variant of Linux and how few modern products run Windows XP, which is unsupported by Microsoft. To be honest, I would have thought you would know that already!

1 Like

I think you are agreeing with me though is a little unclear… . this is about operating system and software supportability, it’s not fit and forget which is what I said!

I think I might know just a little bit about this…… this is an important part of what I am accountable for some very large secure organisations in the UK…

Having an unsupported embedded operating system or software system is a security liability, and many large secure organisations forbid such devices to be connected to their network.

I guess it’s important for consumers to understand just because these devices don’t have a keyboard and screen, you should still treat them with the care and consideration as a regular general computer when connected to a network and keep them updated. Once those updates stop from your manufacturer/supplier then you should really consider removing and cease using them unfortunately even in a domestic environment.
BTW I can’t think of a single current product that uses XP… not to say I am sure there is not one, as it clearly has been out of support for a while now (10 years I think) and has some major security limitations. I have looked it up, and it is estimated 0.1% devices globally still use XP… which I guess is still a fair few… but even Microsoft themselves strongly advise to change OS to avoid system vulnerability attacks, compromises or viruses, so why would you unless it’s through ignorance.

The naim devices on our network are built on very old OS versions which would have been current at time of product development.

NDX2 runs Linux 4.1.25 for example.

Linux 4.1 (last version was 4.1.52) was EOL for LTS in May 2018.

The Core, launched in 2016, is likely a similar OS vintage.

My take is, I don’t want a hifi manufacturer dabbling with ‘software’, which inevitably means hardware, which is totally within their scope to just ditch when they are bored of it, or it becomes old, and actually you paid an incredible amount of money for a fancy looking motherboard and case.

My main streamer is a modded pc, my server is just that, an off the shelf server. I do have other hifi streamers, that I got cheap. I would weep to spend some of the money spent on hifi servers/streamers, they are glorified PCs and in 5 years will be obsolete.

My take is and has always been, spend the money on the dac. It astounds me naim do not have three dacs at three different price points.

1 Like

Yes there have been updates since launch as the product is still supported. I would be surprised if the key or relevant elements of that OS have not been updated in firmware updates from Naim. Remember vulnerabilities and bugs can often go hand in hand.
But as far as I can remember Naim remain silent on vulnerability patching so I am not certain it is upgraded in firmware updates… it would probably require an ITHC to test its vulnerability safety or a formal enquiry to Naim.
But you have me curious.

For example this is a list of the known vulnerabilities, low, medium and high, on Linux Kernel 4.1.25 (although these might not all be relevant for the NDX2) that have been vulnerability patched.

Thanks for the thought Simon. While I still have a US SSD, while it isn’t used for ripping anymore and therefore no longer requires internet access, it remains on the network. Do you have any suggestions as to if and how I can block, perhaps using IP address, internet access in both directions, at say router level, which is a Draytek 2860 (FTTC) please?
I have already purchased a Core, but I am awaiting a replacement for a suspect NAS disk before proceeding.

I don’t unfortunately, other than not using it. Putting it behind some sort of flow configurable firewall that puts it in its own segment might help, but would require some IT expertise to set up… although that wouldn’t remove the risks it could reduce the impact and chance of the device being exploited…

Without looking at this with more information which I suspect Naim would need to supply one can’t determine whether continuing to use it is a low risk, medium or high.
I would contact Naim.

1 Like

I will take it out of use in the next few months. In the meantime I will leave it switched off most of the time, thank you.

I bet the OP wishes he had never asked! I’m not disputing the points you raised, but when he said, “Innuos Zen Mini is on the list, but not Uniticore due to advice regards dated operating software.” I think he was just referring to the limitations of its very basic range of functions in terms of ripping, metadata handling and serving, rather than referring to the actual OS the device runs, which was never a part of this discussion up to that point.

1 Like

indeed - but it has raised a serious safety point that many might not be aware of. Unfortunately there is lot of ignorance of such things - that the bad guys can exploit where and if it’s worth their while. Cyber crime and related blackmail extortion is one of the biggest crime areas now in Britain - and UK is the second most targeted area after the US. This includes getting access to personal information which malware can be designed to do. The number one control, albeit for businesses, against malware according to UK Gov is to use up to date malware protection - including closing vulnerabilities on connected systems.

1 Like

I had a scan through the list of 4.1 vulnerabilities but didn’t see anything which would be a major concern.

Although there are a number of remotely exploitable vulnerabilities, our NDX2 won’t run many of the services and is behind an ISP router with no open ports.

So it’s not a real worry.

1 Like

Yep, I am hiding behind a rock swaying gently back and forward at the moment with my fingers in my ears… :smile:

It’s always good to absorb information and try to understand it, but at this stage I am wondering if I have enough days left on this earth to get anywhere near to understanding all that’s going on. :laughing:

Thanks for all the info though, the bits that I do understand are really helpful, just gotta work on the rest…

Yeah it is also about being infected from another vulnerable machine as well on your network, malware can look to infect and embed… yes this is getting more sophisticated and rarer … and probably only more relevant for higher worth targets.
The real worry mitigation is to keep supported….
However kernel race conditions can be exploited and 4.1 has at least one of those, so that is a worry unless patched… I think if you go surfing weird and wonderful web radio stations I would be generally careful or patched.

I will write to Naim and get the patching status, to be honest that would be the responsible thing to do.

@Richard.Dane can you help please, I can’t find a Naim support email address on the new Naim web site, thanks.