Is a Unitiserve still a good choice?

Support@naimaudio.com

1 Like

Thanks Richard.

I have US and have successfully ripped a few hundred CDs. Occasional got a disc it could find meta data for but like 0.1% so not a big deal. Occasionally has issues with older cds finding album art but worked out how to add those manually using the app.
So several years later I have everything ripped and rarely buy cds ( now back on vinyl) to add to the library so the US is now way underutilized fir it’s ripping capability and wouldn’t say getting good value from it now as my other gear can see and read the ripped files.
Agree setting up the software to do backups is really hard and I am fairly IT literate. So if you are really looking at just buying to rip you collection I would seriously look at much cheaper options , so long as it’s stored a year on your network and is visible then you can still access and stream it to most other bits of equipment.
My US is really now redundant though I could use it as a cd player mode only.
The US was a good idea but poorly implemented software wise plus I to had to replace hard drive a couple of times - it’s been ok now but I am not ripping very rarely.
Probably been surpassed by steaming hi def services unless your old school and want to have your own on prem soliton.

For anyone following this, I did email Naim support, last week, and got a confirmation receipt, and have just been informed my query has been forwarded to the software team.

1 Like

I just love the government advice!
The number 1 way to protect against malware is to use malware protection!
That will be the source of an occasional chuckle for a couple of days, for me!

1 Like

ATB, J :joy:

Yep, but you will probably not be surprised how many people still don’t get it. There is nowt as strange as folk and I am being polite of course :wink:
It’s a bit like look both ways before you cross the road……

Oddly enough, I’d love a US purely for the case. Building your own ripper server around the US case that already has the optical mounting bracket would be great. If I could get an old knackered one, I’d definitely do that. Basically, the only bits I’d use would be the case, power button. But sadly, the postage costs more than they are worth.

2 Likes

I did just that with one. Micro atx fits them though you will have to modify the back to accommodate standard i/o plates.
You’ll want an internal 24pin set up going to power on the outside but they are cheap.

Never worked out a way to light up the logo though in the end stuck an led behind it

1 Like

Still waiting for an update from Naim, hopefully next week.

This is still with the software team. Naim support have been chasing. Perhaps the answer is not straightforward.

Naim have answered my query and I am satisfied, thank you Duncan. They have shared the certificate of compliance of The Product Security and Telecommunications Infrastructure Act 2022 (security requirements for internet-connectable products and products capable of connecting to such) until the end 2025. That act requires the provision of vulnerability updates for embedded systems where they exist.

I notice on the above “statement of compliance” pdf that the US and NDX are not mentioned.

Should I be concerned about the NDX?

Nor is the UnitiCore, not to mention all of those legacy Unitis and streamers.

I think the core is mentioned in the first group.

Perhaps these rules didn’t apply/exist when earlier Naim stuff came out

So it is!

Deleted my previous comment as the PSTI compliance statement can be found via googling or on the declarations of conformity page of the naim website.

However, not sure it answers the original question which was - naim hardware (at latest firmware) includes very old linux kernels.

Does latest naim firmware address all security vulnerabilities in these kernels?

If conformity to the recent and current UK legislation is stated, then yes.
For details you can look up the legislation and see what it covers and what manufacturers are required to do for devices that connect to the internet. If you have specific queries about cyber legislation compliance, best contact Naim. It may take a bit of time, but you will likely get a specific answer.

Interesting, thanks for posting.

The first Gen MuSo and Qb don’t appear n the list, so what are the implications for the many folks here who still use them ?

Perhaps this is worth a new thread ?