Is a Unitiserve still a good choice?

The implications are a risk they could be compromised, however as a target I would say they firmly sit waaaaay down there with the worm stomachs.

Without any back up or evidence I would be way more concerned with HDX/Unitiserve etc as they use embedded XP which is a far more popular vector for attack. Although I can only assume even that is so totally old school as it might not even matter now.

I’ve sort of gone in the opposite direction to some of the folks here…
I acquired an NDX a few months ago and ripped my CD collection using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) onto a Dell micro PC with a 2TB SSD, which shares UPnP over WiFi; the NDX plays fine, as does my MuSo Qb. (I added a Hi-Line which did what it was supposed to to the sound and will also pick up an XPS2 for it at some point.)
However, I’ve just acquired a US which was sold as faulty and it gives a disk error on boot (setting the Naim defaults in the BIOS).
So now I’m on a mission of how to bring it back to life; I’ll raise a separate thread for that.
However, it is true that the US is pretty much ancient in tech terms and runs an OS long out of support; it also doesn’t have WiFi.

Hello, I would love to build a new ripper or server inside an old UnitiServe casing! If you have any thoughts on how to go about it, we should start a new thread?

1 Like

We arn’t allowed to discuss mods here.

I think that’s for things Naim still support and service. Once a product is untouchable by Naim, it’s all fair game.

Naim still do offer servicing and repair for Unitiserve I believe. It’s for the wealthy though.

Bear i mind others have already discussed what they did with an old US case and it’s been fine. By that point it’s no longer a US.

Less about taliking about mods to a Naim product and more about what someone did with an old case.

Well good luck with that, mine got pulled even though it was just an HDX case.

I scrolled up and your Naim micro ATX rebuild is still in this thread.

Well fair enough, pictures have been removed from another thread though, if we can talk about it, that would be great, they are door stops at this stage so may as well do something with them.

So, I’ve started on the rebuild.
I’ve acquired a micro ITX Z87N board, but I’ll need to take an angle grinder to the US’s case at the back to make the sockets cutout a bit bigger; the protruding ones are just a bit longer than those on the US’s mobo, so they don’t quite fit behind the blank area on the right side facing the back.
This particular board has dual Wi-Fi aerials out, so I’m hoping that’ll nicely cover off networking.
The system will just be a UPnP server, so no need for Naim’s digital out circuit and any of their custom software/drivers.
Another job is to sort out suitable heatsinking; that may need a bit of work, as the CPU position means the US’s one can’t be easily used.

Can you used a low thermal CPU like in the 25w to 45w range, and get away with a passive heatsink and mount it off centre so it touches the side of the case when alid on?

Yes: the i5 & i7-4xxxT CPUs are the low-power ones (I have them in Dell micro PCs).
Also yes, the plan is a passive heatsink; the US’s original board has a bespoke aluminium heatsink which screws onto the chassis base.
It’s just the layout of the replacement motherboard is a bit different to the US’s one and so I’ll need to do some work with (copper) heat pipes to route around the components and make a good thermal connection to the chassis.
I don’t think just touching the sides of the case will do the trick; it’d be a bit hit&miss.

I think I used a low power board with built in chip which came with a simple passive heat sink. I may have a decent heat sink here for intel if you want me to send it, but copper piping might be a better option as the case is a good lump of metal.

1 Like