Is anyone running a dedicated streamer into a 272?

Used a Lumin U1 mini with Sbooster power supply on my former 272/555PSDR. Big upgrade!

Today using a Lindemann Bridge II on my NDS. Also a big upgrade.

2 Likes

Is it better than the 272 streamer?

I will buy an IFI Zen to try…

Well, that answers that question :wink::slightly_smiling_face::grinning:

3 Likes

We have found the 272 to be very sensitive to the quality of the signal it’s fed through it’s Ethernet connection:
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/switches-and-switch-psus-with-1st-gen-streamer-a-272

Using a Netgear **L2 Managed switch set to low power mode, coupled with an iFi iPower X PSU made a big improvement, and this was further enhance by using Ethernet isolators to partially decouple this from the rest of our network devices.

The Primare has recently been updated, you can now change the browse option as shown. Much more user friendly, would still welcome alphabetical listing though.

2 Likes

Running Hugo 2 + 2go into SuperUniti and I very much like it.

I know SU is not 272, and Hugo 2 is not a streamer, sorry for that.

1 Like

Is it an Auralic Aries G1.1?

It is!

I like the fact the latest favourites are at the top of the list.
I place artists into favourites who I haven’t actually listened to, or maybe only listened to one track.
I go into favourites sometime later and take listen. If artists are at the top of the list it makes things easier.

Some people have hundreds of artists in favourites, so they would find alphabetical would be better.

2 Likes

I received the Ifi Zen stream yesterday. Nice case and well finished.
I connected it in ethernet with a Wireworld Starlight 8 and a SPDIF Starlight 8 also on the 272… no sound on the digital inputs 2 and 3, only on the BNC input 1, i don’t now why!
I have Qobuz studio that I use with Mconnect so mode 5 on the back of the Ifi.
At first the Ifi cold the sound was a little tense, lack of fluidity… I leave it powered with sound, the next day it was much better, but I also turned the SPMS block, the difference is obvious, its thinner sound one side, tried and you will hear!
I find the sound very good, more natural than the streamer of the 272… I continue my listening and I ordered the power X and the elite to compare them.

3 Likes

Anyone know if there is much difference between the Primare NP5 Mk2 Prisma Network Streamer and the Lindermann Limetree BRIDGE II in use with a 272? Seems to be similar pricing.

One is black, the other silver.

Haha thanks, that’s about what I was able to surmise too. I had same question as OP but lower budget, found a Limetree Network Bridge II preowned vs a new (open box) NP5 Mk2 from an shop. Both review well, have similar feature set and yes one is silver and one is black. Went with the NP5 now it natively supports Qobuz at full 24/192 kHz resolution, seems to be a more popular choice on this forum.

1 Like

Might be worth taking a look at a video on YouTube

NP5 Prisma Tips and Tricks.

I’ve added an Ifi power X for £100 and a VDH Optocoupler for £75. Sounds very good into Ndac.

Thanks I’ll check it out.

I would love to hear your findings, as I am also thinking of adding a new streaming bridge or unit to my 272. However I am quite reluctant as I am afraid of a sound quality decrease in terms of PRaT. I read so many positive reactions on this forum but the dealers I speak to think I will be dissapointed as it gives in on the Naim house sound.

I prefer it to 272 with its basic power, the sound is more natural but the PRAT is still there… it will be even better with the X or the Elite… I will report it when I receive them!

Had similar concerns with my NDS and went for an Innuos Zen 3 feeding the NDS in server mode (i.e. still using NDS streaming board). Nice uplift in SQ but no change to the Naim house sound – if anything, it’s enhanced.

A Zen Mini running as a UPnP server into your 272 might improve SQ without affecting the Naim sound signature. You’d also have the option to run it as a standalone streamer.

2 Likes

Not all Naim equipment sounds the same.

If you consider the CDX and the CDS2, they don’t sound the same, the CDS2 is more refined. I found adding a Primare NP2 to the ndac produces a more refined sound, like the CDS2.

From what I recall, people seem to think the NDS is more refined than the Ndac.

There a number of streaming bridges available at under a grand, if you find you don’t like the sound; you won’t lose that much money if you sell it on. :grinning:

2 Likes

I have since a few days the Ifi Zen Stream with its original power supply ipower, the Power X and the Power Elite… suffice to say that the Elite is the best and by far, with the Zen the sound is very analog, fluid (the voices are sublime) while being dynamic and keeping the PRAT dear to Naim! Really an excellent set that takes out the streamer of the 272 and does justice to the preamp and dac of the 272…

2 Likes