Is anyone running a dedicated streamer into a 272?

I ask as for the most part I’m still quite happy with the 272, however I’ve always felt that it’s streaming capability is a notch below physical media (CD, TT, USB) inputs.

I wonder if hooking up a ‘better’ dedicated streamer into one of the digital inputs would bring an improvement (e.g. from Naim or Auralic say), or would the 272’s DAC still be a limiting factor and this would be a waste of time and money?

Thoughts?

1 Like

People are using Primare NP5 network bridge with 272 and other gen1 network streamers and reporting improved sound quality as well as improved functionality.

£600 for the NP5 and ifi power supply.

I use one with an ndac. It’s very good, although the app isn’t fantastic.

3 Likes

Or linderman limitree bridge. As for example @Blackbird .

2 Likes

I use a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro into my SuperUniti.

It provides all the functionality that is missing in the first generation of streamers, including Roon.

It was inexpensive, 34.90 EUR only.

The DAC in the SuperUniti is strong (I prefer it to a few others), you can experiment with tweaks. To begin with you will have to decide if you prefer coaxial or optical.

I think it is an improvement and fun. I imagine even more fun in a 272.

3 Likes

I’m using Wiim Pro with my 272. And very happy with it. Especially after I got Qobuz

4 Likes

An improvement on the 272 streamer?

Do you mean a steamer into an analogue inlet, or a transport into a digital input and utilising the 272 DAC, or either? Anyway, an Aurelic Aries as a transport might be a good option.

2 Likes

Exactly the latter, higher level streamer transport into digital input. Likely an Aries G1.1.

My mate recently added the Arie to his Denathrips DAC and I thought it was very good. The app is really nice too.

1 Like

If you want to go that far, as Auralic Aries, why not sell the 272 and get a 222? Just thinking

3 Likes

Yes it’s a thought, however wrong input combos on one of those…Have TT and phono stage, CDP and tape deck needing analogue inputs. 222 caters for different audience from me.

1 Like

Either you have extremely good sources or you have no external PS connected to your 272, here at home the streaming is far superior.

1 Like

My experience too. When I had a 272/XPSDR and compared ripping and streaming a CD with playing it on my CD5XS into either the analog or digital inputs of the 272, I found streaming had the edge. The difference was not massive but a bit more air and clarity in the sound stage, for example, meant my CD player was rarely used.

Roger

1 Like

I found the Goldnote Evo line, streamer and pre. There’s the 10 ( around 4k) and the 1000 ( 7k). But only 2 analog inputs.

1000 Evo line

Yes, it’s a bit of a shame actually to use a 272 without PS, it performs so much better with it.

Same solution that I use, with its application it is really painful; I use it with Roon and it’s wonderful.

1 Like

For me yes. I use wiim pro as a transport into a digital input of 272 to play Qobuz.

3 Likes

I am quite sure that Tidal streaming, only 16/44, with only the 272, sounds better than Wim Pro/ 272/ Qobuz hires.
But if I am wrong, tell me it.

1 Like

Another vote here for NP5 and Roon. I got mine second hand just to try it with Qobuz but I was pleasantly surprised with the slight uplift in quality.

2 Likes

I’m using a Holo Audio Red streamer feeding my nDAC. It’s nicely manufactured, a dense block of CNC’d aluminum carved on the innards. The list of supported services are on the product page, including UPnP, HQPlayer, Airplay, Qobuz, Tidal Connect and its Roon Ready. The Red has a quality LPS built-in and offers a plethora of outputs including SDPIF, AES, USB and BNC. In your case, you can theoretically feed the BNC output from the RED into the BNC input on your 272 for a more precise connection. This is how I’m doing it with a DC1 BNC-BNC to my nDAC but there are more economical models around; I have an Apogee Wyde Eye studio cable as a spare.

3 Likes