Is it necessary to check the Rega P10 speed accuracy

I see the Rega strobe kit costs 80 euros. Not sure I want to pay that. Maybe second hand on eBay.

I’ve used two phone apps…one says a tiny bit fast, the other a tiny bit slow. I think that probably the speed stability is more important.

1 Like

I just read the review by Tone Audio. They used the Dr Feikert test record and say that speed accuracy is spot on.
But Michael Fremer had to adjust the speed, which was 1% to slow.
Do you know the Feikert test record?

Ordered finally the Project strobe disc . 26 euros. Should be enough.

1% error is big. On the other hand, I do not worry about what reviewers say, I do not have them up on a pedestal in my thinking.
I do not know of that test record…but all measurements have both intrinsic and extrinsic problems.
If it sounds good, it is good!

I will be soon fixed by the strobe disc. Michael Fremer uses a same, made by Feikert. I tend to trust him.

Better to trust yourself, your ears.
Anyway, wishing you a fabulous Christmas FR…and all on these fora.
May 2022 be better!

1 Like

Happy Christmas for you too.
Don’t worry, I trust the most my ears .

I received the project strobe disc.
I think the speed is ok because all the dashes bands seem to turn at the same speed.
But I have to look better this evening, when it will be dark.
I am not sure on which band I am supposed to look. Because YouTube videos show all the US bands ( the first 3, the 33 rpm is the third).
But for Europe it’s the 3 other bands at the bottom. So I should look at the first on the bottom ( down) ?

I don’t know this strobe disk, but with other ones it is not about several bands looking like they are moving at the same speed. What others should do is the correct (33.3) band looking like it is not moving at all, neither forwards nor backwards.

What light source are you using, is it plugged into the mains? The grid uses a 60Hz frequency in US and 50Hz in Europe. A mains-connected light source is flashing with the grid frequency, hence the need for the strobe band also using a different sequence for US and Europe.

Of course if you are using a battery powered light source (like the Rega strobe kit does), the frequency is independent of the mains

1 Like

I was using the normal light, lamp, not led.
As you said, the band should not move. I know now the 33 pm is on the bottom. I will try this evening again. When I tried the 3 bands were grey, and turning at the same speed. But they were grey, with no dashes.

I think if they look grey, the frequency does not fit. The idea is that the white stripes are visible and stay in place, more or less (although they will wander a bit back and forth, but over a minute or so this should balance out and essentially the stripes stay in place).

I’m glad I overspent on the Rega, it’s expensive but at least unambiguous :slight_smile:

I will tell you this evening. If not maybe my light is not adapted. So I will have to buy a cheap battery light.
Is the light torch from an IPad can work?

I think it’s best to use a light powered from either 50 or 60Hz mains or a special light with either 50 or 60Hz frequency.

1 Like

I used that , the light bulb is 40 W. Don’t know for hertz.

it’ll be whatever your mains is - I guess 50Hz, so you should read the 50Hz ring.

apologies - edited.

2 Likes

Thanks. So it shall be ok.

What Richard says, and make sure to read the correct ring on the disk for the 50Hz mains frequency.

Note that a traditional incandescent light bulb that is connected to the mains will fluctuate with the 50Hz mains frequency, but the strobe movement will be quite blurry because an incandescent bulb has an afterglow.
(Maybe an LED bulb works better, but I don’t even know if they flash with the mains frequency at all … )

A generic battery light won’t work because it may have no frequency (being DC) or one that you don’t know.
(The Rega strobe light is battery powered but it is designed to flash with a known frequency that works with the Rega disk)

Maybe the Wikipedia page on stroboscope can help with understanding how the concept works and what you are looking out for. Also has animations and a record player example

If using a strobe to light the disk, how do you know the frequency is correct?

Either you use a special light that flashes at a known frequency that fits the disk stripes, or you use a simple mains-connected lamp that naturally cycles along with the mains frequency, and a disk that expects that. But the latter option is not ideal, e.g. because mains frequency is not 100% stable and bulbs have their drawbacks as mentioned.

Best is a dedicated, digitally controlled flash light with a precise, known frequency (like the Rega one. The one built into the Technics 1210 is similar, I believe. Of course there are others)

The Wikipedia article is really very good :slight_smile: