Is it worth replacing 272/XPSDR by NCS222

Hello,

I hesitate to replace my 272/XPSDR with a NSC222 for ATC 40A… will the 222 without power supply be better (I’m just talking about sound) than the 272 with XPSDR?

If I buy the 222 I have to sell the 272 and XPSDR, so don’t tell me to keep the power supply! :wink:

You don’t need to sell your xps dr. It works with the NSC222 via a special cable. Ask your dealer.

1 Like

My mistake.You need to sell both.:kissing_smiling_eyes:
Anyway I don’t know if it would sound better, but,for sure, you will get a modern machine with a better integration with streaming services,a good headphone amp and phono stage.

Maybe sell your headphone amp rather than the XPS DR. Would that work?

NSC 222 into ATC actives, probably, very probably, yes. IMHO the 222 is a significant step up from the 272, but, as ever, a home audition or lengthy personal demo will help you decide.

I moved from a 272/XPS DR/250 DR to the NSC 222/NOX 300/NAP 250, and have not regretted it for a moment.

Oh well, perhaps a moment or two, but never whilst listening :grinning:.

ATB, J

1 Like

You have all three, but 222 alone vs 272/xpsdr… I would have to test but it’s not easy!

Apologies if my response was confusing.

What I was trying/failing to suggest was that the NSC 222 would indeed outperform the NAC-N 272/XPS DR pairing with your active ATC speakers, even without the NPX 300 :grinning:. The 222 is a step change upgrade over the 272, however the latter is configured.

As always, an audition is the cure way forward, particularly if it can be in your home. In my own case, I spent almost a year considering and auditioning, considering not only SQ but also VFM - if the latter ever applies to HiFi purchases :joy:.

ATB, J

No excuse to have, there is nothing serious! Thank you for your opinion… :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.