Is Naim losing its way?

@NigelB Blimey!

Who said romance is dead

I think theyā€™ll be fine. The streamer software (ND series) seems to be good. The Atom and Nova need to be right. This is usually (Muso range aside) the first rung on the Naim ladder and needs to be a good user experience as youā€™ve got owners stepping up from Sonos and the like which just work. Theyā€™ll expect the same from Naim.

Are these issues really more common in Unitis than they are in the separate streamers? If there are more posts on issues with Unitis, perhaps thatā€™s to be expected as there are likely to be many more of them out there. (FWIW I have one of each, and both have been pretty trouble free.)

You, sir, are a pioneering and brave soul ā€“ passing for the moment on upgrading to the successor of the N272!

1 Like

FWIW I bought some Sonos One speakers for my office. They are possessed. Sometimes I have a whole day when I canā€™t operate them properly. Sometimes they register two entries on the network. And I had to turn off the assistant and the speakers kept on shouting random stuff at us from upstairs while we watched telly.

My experience of stability on Naim has far far surpassed my experience with Sonos.

1 Like

Iā€™ve gotta say, Iā€™m always a bit confused by these kind of threads where someone obviously has a massive beef about the app, software or firmware.
I honestly have never had such a music and enjoyment stopping situation with Naim.
Sure, occasionally the App has been buggy, particularly in the early days as an Android user when it needed to to do a lot of catching up, but these days, really?
Iā€™m on the beta testing group to try and do my best to offer up constructive criticism.

I canā€™t comment on the Core as I donā€™t have one, but as an early Unitiserve adopter, which I had for 9 years until last year, no software issues (maybe hardware was another story, but thatā€™s for another day).
Iā€™m on a legacy streamer (NDS) so donā€™t have the new platform, but my system, the firmware and software are rock solid.
I wouldnā€™t have any hesitation in upgrading to the new platform.
When anyone spends a lot of money on something we all expect it to function as expected and itā€™s very frustrating when things donā€™t go right Iā€™m sure, but things do seem to be taken out of proportion.

My Apple TV or iPhone or Android phone are buggy but I donā€™t flame Apple Or Android forums when things donā€™t go right.
I donā€™t know, maybe Iā€™m just old school, too relaxed or somethingā€¦

4 Likes

An appletv is 179 quid.

Ha ha, yes, true.

Still doesnā€™t change the fact that I havent seen the issues reported, not saying there hasnā€™t been any, maybe Iā€™m the special one.

If something wasnā€™t right I would sort it out with my dealer, maybe update on here, wouldnā€™t flame the company or the forum on the forum.
Thatā€™s just me, work in a sales role (not for Naim I hasten to add!), diplomatic, old school in the way I deal with problems.
Weā€™re not all the same I appreciate that.

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s because you are using Roon?!!!

:slightly_smiling_face: very true @trickydickie.
But even before this last 8 months running Roon was I ever frustrated, angry, etc at the way my system functioned or the sound it enabled?
No way.
Early days of Android werenā€™t great, but I canā€™t say it stopped me doing what I wanted to do.
Even now, with Roon, still in the beta test group for the Naim app, functions fine even though my usage of it is limited now.

Hope all good with you in these strange time Richard.

All OK thanks Chris

I have to agree I have always found things to be rock solid and very usable, especially on IOS.

I remember there being some teething problems in the early days of the first generation streamers but there do seem to be some ongoing issues with the new generation generation models which seem to be going on a bit.

Yes, agreed Richard!

Iā€™m not going to go into too much detail about computer audio as it would be irrelevant to most if not all of other members of this forum. I would agree that computers can be problematic although if one knows how to set them up, the results can be outstanding. I use a dual PC setup with a couple of i5/8GB laptops. Hardly state of the art but into my nDAC/XPS, the sound quality is noticeably better than my CDS2. Iā€™m not complaining as I still believe that the CDS2 is a very fine player. I have had no problems with my nDAC and mine is an early model. The only firmware update I applied was to render it capable of playing DSD. My computer audio setup has developed throughout my use of it. I started with a single i5/8GB laptop with Windows 7 and JRiver Media Center. I now run dual PC with Windows Server 2019 with JPLAY/Audiophile Optimizer/Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso. Issues are thankfully rare but are usually related to WiFi connectivity between my Control PC and Samsung Galaxy tablet that runs BubbleUPnP as the control point app. I stand by my belief that when you spend an awful lot of money on something, then it should work flawlessly. I realise that there are those who believe that if one makes any observation with regard to Naim Audio that implies any criticism, then one is considered a heretic. Heaven knows, some of the people on this forum would pay Ā£1000 for a toaster or a kettle if it had a Naim Audio badge on it. Unreserved brand loyalty is a dangerous thing. As for the reported problems with firmware and app updates, if the point of any system is the enjoyment of music then how can one enjoy a system that is unreliable. I donā€™t agree with those who believe that Naim Audio have lost the plot although it may appear that they need to test firmware an app updates more thoroughly before releasing them. Perhaps the company may wish to consider a beta programme for those who would wish to engage with it. That, together with lack of funds, is why I will I will stick with my computer audio system for the time being. I use it as a secondary source. My LP12/Armageddon/ARO/Troika is still my preferred front end component!

1 Like

Oh dude, paragraphs.

11 Likes

ā€¦or a deep breath.

3 Likes

2 and 3 are new features on my Core, too

This 2 and 3, sorry:
2. Every time they ā€˜improveā€™ the App they make it worse. Last upgrade: after ripping a CD it says at the bottom - go to the album which up to now just worked. Now it brings you to the main menu where you have to select newest music and then select the CD and then modify - improvement???
3. At times it puts all albums with the same title in to the same artist.

Bentley, Rolls Royce ā€¦any manufacturer, have problem products. Just because you spend a lot of money doesnā€™t mean fault free.

However, itā€™s how they respond to a problem that matters.

Iā€™ve been involved in helping customers out of problem cars. Some of those problems were product related and some down to the users!

I have also had a problem car exchanged where a dealer did not get to grips with the issue.

When it comes to Naim, I have not had a faulty product, but did have issues early on in my streaming journey. With the help of forum members I can confidently say the issues were down to my network setup.

The app allows me to play music, even randomly, listen to internet radio and allows me to search in the ways I want.

One customer I dealt with complained that his air vent wasnā€™t straight on the dashboard. Indeed it wasnā€™t, it worked as it should, and didnā€™t stop the car from functioning as a car. We changed his car, he was happy, but a bit of ā€¦

1 Like

Renaming artists happens when the Core rips an LP with an existing title. ā€œReggae Greatsā€ was my example; thankfully only had one previously existing album with the same name. Slightly wary of ripping a Greatest Hits album now thoughā€¦