Is Naim losing its way?

They went under due to the large numbers that were returned, and left their customers high and dry…a friend unfortunately bought one from their website just before they folded…he does not have the same view as you.
PLEASE don,t insult forum members, its not nice.

4 Likes

Firstly please be respectful of both the members and the forum as whole. Secondly, it’s quite clear that Naim do listen (otherwise why bother to have a forum at all) and take complaints seriously. Whether they will fix things to be exactly the way you want them to be, I’m not so sure, but if enough customers want something then Naim will certainly give it proper consideration - that I know for fact.

As for the rest of your post, that’s quite a serious allegation to make. I have messaged you about this.

8 Likes

hi richard
i may be wrong but i think stevesky’s post may have just been to the beta channel
nigel

True enough, so I guess only Beta members can read that one, but there have been plenty of others from him and from others at Naim here (and even post I’ve made myself from info gleaned from Naim) on the forum whenever issues have cropped up or been reported in the past, so I think to say that Naim don’t listen is wide of the mark.

2 Likes

hi richard - i agree completely, and thankyou for your feedback to the forum. i wish things would calm down a bit - just didn’t want a slight mis-speak to be escalated here - i am sure that @Stevesky will post to the forum in due course - it is a sunday after all and i am sure he want’s to get his team together this week to talk thru the issues raised and come up with solutions
nigel

Are you sure it’s not your server that’s doing this, as opposed to the Naim app?

1 Like

I do think Naim need to up there game as the hifi market is fast changing these days.
People are wanting great gear, that just works straight out the box, going away from multi boxes unless you are talking about the real hi end gear.
Would love to see a 500 series integrated and even at £30k I feel it would be a good seller, other manufacturers can do it along with there existing range so no reason why Naim can’t.
As for the app, I don’t use it these days, but when I did, I didn’t find it an issue

1 Like

I had this issue with some Bach Goldberg Variations recordings. If when they rip they end up with the same metadata the server somehow thinks they are the same album so puts all the track 1s together, then the track 2s etc. The way I overcame it was to modify the album title to include the artist - eg Bach : Goldberg Variations (Hewitt). That will keep them in the proper separate albums.

2 Likes

I’m obviously missing something Gazza - don’t think Bru is ‘dissing’ other forum members so much as venting genuine frustration.

I wondered about that myself - not sure what Bru’s system is, but iffy metadata from some servers can really mess things up in an unpredictable manner.

It’s easy to blame the app, because it’s what you see. But to a large extent the app only shows you what the servers sends it.

2 Likes

You are quite right. I think it went funny when I used Minim for a couple of years. Album title, artist and album artist are all correct yet it merged the albums. The only thing I could think of at the time to fix it was to change the album title by including the pianist in the title. It was all very strange and I was simply using it to support the suggestion that the issue was at the server end rather than being down to the app. As we all know, the app is a dumb thing that simply shows what the server sends.

I use an Auralic Aries Mini as my server for my ND555, as a result I’ve been able to use both the Auralic and Naim apps. In my opinion the Auralic app is much better to use, just slicker in every way with the way it shows artwork etc. But the bottom line is that I much prefer how the Naim sounds having heard various Auralic products. The Auralic is impressive, but for me Naim is more musical.
Naim has always prioritised sound performance and as far as I can see and hear, and that’s still the case. I understand people’s frustrations, but have Naim lost their way, I don’t think so.

I have to say that up to the second update everythign was good. Since the third update things have been going downhill though. The main thing that I have noticed is that since the third update the sound has gone boomy. It is noticeable and unpleasant.
And since the last update the system has gone very slow. Commands both on Spotify and Naim app have a lag. If I choose a different song or radio station/song on my mobile app/Spotify it takes a second or two before the Nova’s screen displays the logo of the new channel or the cover of the new song.

Of course, it doesn’t help that there is so much software to stuff the onboard computer with: Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, AirPlay, Chrome, etc, etc.

I have no axe to grind with Naim Audio. I have used their equipment since 1982. I am unaffected by the problems with firmware and app updates as I use a dual PC setup to feed my Naim Audio nDAC/Naim Audio XPS. The need to use an S/PDIF converter is a minor hassle. I wish the nDAC had been designed to accept USB input from sources other than pen drives, although I guess that digital audio is a developing technology and my nDAC is getting long in the tooth. In spite of that, I am still satisfied with the sound that it produces. I feel for those customers who have spent a lot of money on Naim Audio hardware to have the user experience spoiled by faulty hardware and app updates. A while ago, I considered adding a Naim Audio streamer to my system but thought better of it in view of the firmware and app update problems described by members of this forum. There also seems to be an issue with screens freezing on some models. Naim Audio equipment is costly and when a user invests that amount of money, it does not seem unreasonable for them to expect that their product will work faultlessly. It would also seem reasonable to observe that the reason for firmware and app update reliability is dues to the fact that the updates have not been sufficiently tested by the factory prior to release. Please correct me if I am wrong but given the cost of the equipment, the update unreliability seems wholly unacceptable. It is why I am staying away from Naim Audio streamers until I can be confident that the company have got it right.

5 Likes

It’s kind of crazy but the problems people seem to have with there streamers and the app I just don’t understand
Sure there may be a feature that someone wants that’s just not there but personally I have zero issues.
When I first started using a streamer I did have issues but it was my net work and once that was sorted ( had to call my internet provider) everything is fast / stable / and works, even the Muso QB.
I don’t have any issues with Tidal or Spotify or serving from 3 different servers.
Even the older legacy streamers work flawlessly.
And I find the naim app excellent ( especially compared to some other products )
Are you guys sure you aren’t being a little hard on Naim ?

4 Likes

Naim have always been about excellent audio engineering and so-so software. My first experience of this was the n-Vi. A fantastic piece of kit when working but buggy and unreliable. I recently steered a colleague down the Linn Selekt route as the Nova seems to have too many problems to recommend it. A shame, as bugs aside, it looks and sounds great. He’s very happy with the Linn though and it’s been trouble free. I wonder if Bentley owners have issues or perhaps they didn’t let Naim loose on the software for this…

1 Like

The current issues have certainly put me off from upgrading my 272 to the next incarnation of the 272 (if it appears) but for now the 272 is rock solid and so is the UQ2 feeding a Nait 2 I may just stay put and call it a day.

It’s perception. I steered my colleague down the Linn route as the perception of Naim software reliability (from previous experience) and comments from owners on here was not good. If he’d been looking for an amp, then it would have been another story.

2 Likes

I agree James, Naim amps are in a different class to their streaming strengths and after 25 years of using Naim amps I wont be looking elsewhere but streaming tech especially on the firmware rollouts thats another story.

1 Like