Is streaming harmful for the planet?

But what have you have shown is the net overall saving by switching to alternate delivery and commerce methods using the internet over traditional methods which is significant.
In the U.K., it has actually halted the increase in carbon and last I looked it was in decline, with carbon emissions returning to that of around 1890… there are many many causes of this, not least the massive switch to wind energy in place of coal, and the use of low power lighting.
But there is also the change of retail habit and working habits, and much of these savings have been enabled by the internet.

I forgot how much time and gas I used to use to just drive from store to store to find what I was looking for. Very wasteful. The internet has almost infinite inventory of all things. I use it a lot. Seems like the miles on my cars and the use of gas and diesel has gone down as a result. I still frequent the local biz stores regularly for things that I know they have in stock, but try to bundle my car trips. The fact that I do this in my electric car is also a driver. I look forward and support clean electricity moving forward. That is the system solution. Its a lot more efficient to properly make a clean power plant than it is to make every car clean. I still have a petrol hybrid for long trips. Works out well.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.