Is the NDX2 streamer significantly better than the ND5XS2 which I have?

@daddycool Thanks for your great comments. I am awaiting my dealer to receive items from focal Naim. I will also be getting the Focal Utopia headphones going into the SN3.

I see myself staying with the SN3/ Highcap DR/NDX2/XPSDR for quite a while. The SN3 with buttons is easy for us to operate. The NC stuff is LCD, which can be difficult for us to see. No matter how good a component might be, if it is difficult to operate, its value is limited. So again I will stick with the SN3

8 Likes

Hi @Jaybar , you have made your decision and must be excited waiting for it to arrive. My advice is not to pay any attention to other suggestions and just enjoy your new system for many years without worry!

You have a great system - enjoy!

I will be interested to read about your findings with the Utopias. I don’t often listen with headphones but have been looking at the possibility of upgrading mine. Trouble is, after many reviews etc. but no auditioning yet, I seem to be looking at DCA Expanse. Silly money so I may just stick with my OPPO PM2s.

1 Like

@daddycool My only misgivings is going into the headphone amp of the SN3. With my new gear I won’t have enough shelves for an external headphone amp. Even if I could, it made no sense to consider the Atom HE. Streaming with the NDX2 and the XPSdr will be better. Also I suspect that a significant part of the Atom HE cost is due to its streamer which I won’t use.

In addition to the Utopia, I will be getting a 4.5 meter custom Cardas Beyond Clear headphone cable. The cost of both the cable and the headphones is not cheap, but I wanted to give myself that gift.

I never took headphones listening seriously because I always used cheap headphones relative to my speaker costs. I also had just ok headphone cables and less than great headphone amps.

BTW, I read the posts on how to connect an external headphone amp with the SN3 and I don’t understand how. I assume I use the A/V inputs but don’t understand how.

Trust me. It will be for a very long while….

2 Likes

Trust - second that :+1:

1 Like

You could connect a V1 DAC to NDX2 via SPDIF, the V1 is also a headphone amp.

Of course you won’t be able to make use of the V1 optical inputs, unfortunately the NDX2 doesn’t do optical out. :grin:

@Neilb1906 The post that you refer to won’t help me. I am not interested in a Headline.

Two of the inputs are also outputs (av in/out and hdd in/out). So you can use a tape recorder, headphone amp etc. whatever you are listening to comes out of the socket and into the headphone amp.

@Fatcat Why would I ever do what you suggest. I will not be using an external DAC. Nor will I ever use a Headline. I just want to connect an external headphone amp snd hear all my sources through my headphones.

1 Like

Yes it does, scroll to the bit that says “ For 3rd party non-Naim headphone amps ……”

It’s pretty simple; 5 pin din one end, 4 rca phono plugs the other end. Din plug into the hdd socket on the back of the supernait. On the other end 2 of the 4 rca plugs will be output; plug these to the input sockets on the back of the headphone amp. Could be Lehmann audio, violectric etc etc etc they will all connect the same way with unbalanced rca input.

1 Like

We are 128 posts deep. At this point all bets are off lol.

@jaybar I meant that in a general sense, not that you should demo these alternatives. You are already set up wonderfully at the desired level with your new purchases! But several others enjoy these combinations so I included them in the demo list.

The SN3 has a very capable headphone amp (as well as a good phono amp) so I would try that first. If and when you later want and external headphone amp @robert_h provided the correct information how to hook it up. But perhaps this is all more something for another thread. Enjoy your new system!

My NDX2 and XPSDr were installed today by my dealer. Focal Utopia with long Cardas Beyond Clear headphone cable was connected to my SN3. Too early to tell about ultimate streamer SQ. First reaction out of the box is increased nuance and bass control. I am assuming it will only get better? Right now the headphones are playing internet radio. Focal says they need a long burn in. First experience with top headphones. Have not listened to headphones in years. The streamer/power supply replaced the ND5XS2.

Thanks everyone for your help.

10 Likes

Question. I have internet radio streaming. The screen stays on as long as internet radio is streaming. Is that how it works?

There’s a section on the Naim website that explains how to disable it. It’s buried in the Support section of the NDX2, here’s a screenshot of the option I think you’ll need to find, with hopefully sufficient website context to allow you to find the actual section.

I can write it out longhand if the image above isn’t legible. You’re looking for the “Display off during playback” option, I think (I don’t own a NDX2)

@Richard.Dane if that’s the interface to the support pages now, I don’t suppose you know if anyone has given any thought to their accessibility for those using screen readers? Because on Android the screen reader skips straight past the useful content :confused:

@gthack can you write it out? Thanks.

1 Like

Stuck at a swimming pool, hopefully a short delay until I’m at a keyboard that isn’t a mobile phone screen is ok :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@gthack yes

Just do it in the app. Go to Settings > Other Settings > Display and select ‘Turn off during playback.’

2 Likes