Is the NDX2 streamer significantly better than the ND5XS2 which I have?

Nice write-up and very recognisable! Good to hear you have found your balanced system.

I would spend not even the same but more on the source than on the amp, finding source upgrades the most rewarding ones. But other members have other preferences (and that’s ok, there are “camps of ears” in this).

In this case adding a NDX2 to an existing SN3 without the possibility of PSUs or DACs involved is indeed a no-brainer if budget allows.

1 Like

There are half a dozen Naim dealers in NYC and even more within an hour’s drive… How come you can’t get a home demo on an $8000 device?

I am another who has tried both in the same system and written on other threads about the comparison.

I have NDX2 with XPSDR in one system and am very happy with ND5XS2 in another system. The ND5XS2is not outclassed by 82/HC/250 (and that combo is what I am listening to in Tasmania) and so will work well with SN (with or without HC).

With 52/SC/300DR, the ND5XS2 was still enjoyable, but swapping to NDX2/XPSDR showed the ND5XS2 was clearly a bit muddled and vague by comparison.

To generalise, and to my old ears, they are similarly good on boogie but the NDX2 has better control, better air/ space on female vocals and wins a bit on detail generally - if everything else is good enough to show the difference.

The summary is that I rate both and think the NDX2 is a good deal better, but it is probably less good on SQ per £ because the ND5XS2 is a real bargain.

YMMV as they say.

9 Likes

Home demos are very much a UK thing. I believe it can happen at times in the US and even occasionally here in Canada if one has spent years building a relationship (and dealers bank account) with a specific dealer, tho I have never personally witnessed this happening here. Wish it did.

Not sure how the retail system works in NYC but if you purchased an item from a store do you not have an opportunity to return it for a refund if it doesn’t work for you, within a few days I’m not talking about keeping it for weeks before returning it.
In the UK if you purchase an item online I believe you have within 14 days to return it if not completely happy and receive a refund.
Is there not anything similar in place in NYC.
Personally for you the Ndx2 would be the obvious choice if your only option is one or the other but I understand your concerns with a possible bass issue.
For me I went with the Nd5xs2 on vfm knowing I could try adding a dac and/or a ps to improve it performance later on, suited my budget.

2 Likes

The “2” can’t be upgraded with a power supply; only the original model could be used with xps etc.

1 Like

The big difference between the two is the DAC in the NDX2. Plus that same DAC benefits from an external psu.
I have had both. The nd5xs2 did sound better with a qutest. But the ndx2 and xpsdr is better again. And so it should be given the price.

2 Likes

I was referring adding a ps to the ndac if you went that way, sorry didn’t mean to cause confusion.

4 Likes

Besides Innovative Audio, please name some of these dealers
David

2 Likes

If you want to upgrade and cannot or do not trust a dealer demo look for a used ndac. You then have the new streaming platform and the top dac no longer available. Of course the 333 is another option, said to be better than the ndx2, but you can get a ndac plus psu for that money. Or a 222 as a third alternative, but only the Ndac would be wise to get without demo first.

1 Like

I have ndx2 with power suppy sn3 hcdr, if you will a pretty maxed out sn3 based system. You will hear a differnce between the two that is significant in every way, and still upgradable. The ndx2 is more than just a screen. Better box build quality, better output stage better power supply which all helps it present more information. I listened to them both a year and a half ago and i have absolutely no misgivings. I think about swapping my other gear all the time, only get more of what the ndx2 has to give.

2 Likes

I decided to go ahead with the NDX2. Thanks everyone for your comments.

17 Likes

With which power supply? Xpsdr or 555dr?

1 Like

@Thegreatroberto Neither. My dealer might have a power supply coming in on trade. If not, just the NDX2

5 Likes

It will be a good upgrade in both instances. Take your time. NDX 2 & SN3 are a classic pairing.

9 Likes

The NDX2 is better, but it uses the same digital section and power supply as the ND5XS2. The NDX2 has a more elaborate analog output stage.

I agree with a few others that have shared their opinions. The best and cheapest option is for you to add an nDAC to the ND5XS2 which would be a vast improvement.

6 Likes

In my experience (owned an ND5 XS2 and heard an NDX2 many times, did a few direct comparisons) obviously it’s not. Significantly more expensive it is.
The 2nd hand market is full of NDXs and NDX2s but ND5 XS2 are scarce. Reasons?

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I thought there would be different power supplies in them, but looking at pictures, it seems there aren’t.

I think the power supplies are similar architecturally, but the NDX2 has a larger transformer.

Do you know they’re the same? I don’t know the PSU is larger, just eyeballing them

1 Like

You are dead right: presumably, a lot more people bought a new NDX2 than a new ND5XS2.

Of course, the upgrade path is clearer (just add the excellent XPSDR), whereas the upgrade path for the ND5XS2 is less obvious and won’t help shops sell new boxes. Also, the NDX2 has a pretty screen (which I ignore).

These points may have helped encourage dealers to stock one but not the other -who knows?

2 Likes