Is the NDX2 streamer significantly better than the ND5XS2 which I have?

One day since installation. NDX2 with XPSDr. More detailed, yet dry or thin in tonal balance compared to my former ND5XS2.

Also Focal Utopia, one day (new) sounds thin with great ability to expose timbre variations. Using headphone amp from SN3 with Cardas Beyond Clear headphone cable. Also new.

I hope everything improves with break in time. So far not overwhelmed. There’s improvement but the streamer and headphones need more body.

2 Likes

You’ll definitely enjoy some changes over the next few days/weeks. I recommend turning the screen off for playback and leaving something playing 24/7 for at least the next week.

2 Likes

@cb01 Hopefully things will improve.

1 Like

Truly not being smug: I would be incredibly shocked if they did not improve.

I say enjoy the ride and keep us updated.

2 Likes

Indeed - tonally dry & thin could not be further away from an NDX 2’s presentation.

2 Likes

I agree, in fact I think the NDX2 tips too much the other way at the expense of accuracy… but makes for a generally enjoyable presentation.

3 Likes

I agree, I noticed it took some time for my NDX 2 to improve. At first the sound tended to be, maybe, a touch harsh. Over time it got better, much better (maybe after a month of daily listening it was perfectly settled down). What a great piece of kit it is IMO.

1 Like

I remember when I got my NDX2 after a Nova, initially I found it a bit bright and thin but I think that was just my brain adapting to the extra detail it provided over the Nova, give it time and you’ll really like it I suspect

2 Likes

Exactly. If anything it’s shaded toward the orange/brown, thick/lush/tonally dense end of the spectrum.

Almost as good as the ND5XS2, in fact :wink:

4 Likes

This is how I found the NDX2 as well. I’m sure it will get better for you but for me it just didn’t get there. The XPS helps and I hope you end up getting on with it.

2 Likes

I’ve demoed both nd5 xs2 and ndx2 without psu and actually preferred the junior model. There’re some clear benefits with ndx2 in terms of sound stage and precision but musically nd5 xs2 gives quite a lot and I’ve decided not to pay more (and with psu it was anyway out of budget). In future I will most probably try to go for nss 333.

4 Likes

I have about 250 hours of use on my NDX2/XPSDr. The sound changes from day to day. Sometimes it’s great with a significant improvement over my ND5XS2. With great tonality and bass. Other times it’s a bit thin and bright and lacking bass. When does it stabilize and stop changing SQ?

I can’t speak for the NDX2 and its break-in period but I vividly recall the break-in for the XPSDr. At first I had a serious case of buyers remorse for the first week or two.

Then a friend said the burndy could be part of my issue. He recommend reseating and massaging them (I laughed at first) however ‘relaxing’ it and having it aligned correctly helped. How much, idk.

Regardless it did seem to take about 1 month but my memory is vague after awhile it just started to sound great and I just listened to music and stopped thinking about it.

1 Like

I find, like everything in life, my hifi sounds different depending on my mood (food/drink taste different, scenery looks different) and temperature. This has never changed in more than 50 years. Listening for differences is the enemy imo. I’m going to listen to a record I love is much different to I’m going to listen to a record I love to see if my new cable etc makes a difference. The biggest upgrade is to relax I find. Relaxed, the hifi, muso, car stereo, DAB radio all sound fantastic. It’s science in the factory, art in my living room. Enjoy :ok_hand:

11 Likes

Spot on twofifty

Mood drives how we feel about music each day - sometimes good sometimes not so good

7 Likes

The new website seems to have dropped the very useful interactive user guides. Are they still there and buried, or have they been removed?

Hrm, if you’re asking about the functionality shown in the screen shot in my post, then correct, I cannot find it on the new website anymore. The only thing available that I could find is the NDX2 quick start guide, for download.

Yes as others have said this unlikely to do with any ‘burn in’ … especially after 250 hours. Mood, air temperature, air pressure, humidity, mains… all have bearings on sound replay performance and can vary from day to day.
I have found the better you dial in your setup and speakers to perform how you most enjoy then other than mood and mindset, a lot of the other variables tend to fall by the wayside or be less obviously noticeable.

2 Likes

Our hearing itself is certainly not a constant, side from psychological influences such as mood already mentioned, physiological effects that can make it vary day by day, even hour by hour, sometimes clearer, sometimes less so.

2 Likes