Is the world angrier or is it

As Charlie Brooker would say…
“Meh, your either a red ant or a black ant. Get over it”

1 Like

We are living in strange times, too much is happening in the world at the moment, people seem to be tired and less tolerant, many people are having difficulties and that also does not help, sometimes their hanger and frustration is not easily forgotten and stays present in their forum posts.

Is noticeable enough is most forums, Is not that wasn’t present before but has increased substantially in the last two years.

2 Likes

By the way does the forum have a feature to ignore certain users?

I apologise if I have offended you.

1 Like

LOL no

1 Like

There is yes :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve just set a user to ignore, coincidentally :wink:

2 Likes

I’m guessing the Forum Administrator see stats on users to see how many times someone has been flagged, and by how many different people. A challenge to police, but I’d love to see those stats over the years to see if its increased

Don’t forget that Gammon, chips, pineapple and peas :rage::meat_on_bone: :fries: :pineapple:
Has taken over as the number one nations favourite instead of Fish n chips :grinning: :fish: :fries:.

A bit off topic but these 2 comments chimed. I try not to be in any way nasty and generally just ignore people who annoy me here but occasionally I’ll try a little bit of constructive irony but am finding the forum less amenable to this these days.

Posting less as a consequence but I don’t expect a petition to encourage me to post more!

Happy New Year everyone!

.sjb

7 Likes

I know where you’re coming from Nigel but equally it’s inevitable that those who aspire and achieve the “high-end” will tend to celebrate and indeed be celebrated. We shouldn’t let envy take hold. However, what strikes me about these dialogues is that even when the very peak of hi-fi ownership is achieved the paranoia is no different, are the cables hanging properly, is the switch of the required quality, or the “run-in” will take 11 months, really!! Doesn’t make me angry but does make me smile!

4 Likes

Lindsay, as a couple of people, including your good self, have selectively quoted what I wrote, I’ll make it clear, as I wrote above, that I’m not suggesting for a moment that people with the uber-systems seek veneration, merely that some people seem to treat them that way.

We quite often see people writing ‘apologies for my humble system’ despite the fact that what they have is wonderful. Spending £1,000 on hifi is a lot more of a stretch to some than spending £100,000 is to others and nobody who owns a more modest setup should feel in any way a second class forum citizen.

Your penultimate sentence makes me smile too. The funniest posts are those that say ‘after two years my X has made a great leap forward and is finally run in’. Can anyone have that perfect a memory? Have they not considered that it’s probably the wine?

5 Likes

True. But maybe where you see “veneration” ( on treatment) could be only honest recognition?

Example: @PeterR have one ( S1). im glad for him. It must be a awsome machine.
I dont need to be a hipocrit by trying to Gain anything from it.

God I’m angry I’ve just stubbled on to this thread. :grin:

Think the last few years have effected us all, think we all need to be a little more patient and understanding. However for me the more I deal with people the more I like dogs.

16 Likes

Ahhahhahah.
Let’s put some “the wall”… as a soundtrack on self-isolation

:wink:

1 Like

Nigel,

Absolutely.

And on the run-in I’ve often wondered what the audit trail is, do they keep copious notes?! “I listened to Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes on 1 Jan and again on 1 Sep and on the latter occasion her tones were definitely more sensuous”. And on that point you’re getting greater insight to my listening pleasures!

“Just me?” I think, 1st line of thread post. (in response to Adam’s comment above). Could have sworn I’d replied to him.

I for one, am bloody outraged! :star_struck:

Mentioned this before, but I don’t think that’s necessarily true.

Someone new to hi-fi who can order a Statement based system afresh probably has the funds/deep pockets at the time to do so.

They may simply be quite well off and make seemigly extravagant purchases in many spheres simply because they can afford to do so, or perhaps they have a very well paid job, plenty of disposable income and perhaps few dependents or other hobbies. So some will have ‘deep pockets’ either long-term or at a certain time in life.

Others however will have started on the lower rungs and upgraded over many years, perhaps saving or borrowing to reach top-range Classic or Statement systems. No one actually needs this stuff, but it may have been a personal choice, rather than being interested say in a fancy car or other luxury purchases which are I’d suggest more mainstream ‘aspirations’.

I am nowhere near Statement level, but many who know me not interested in ‘hi-fi’ would be shocked by the cost of what I have, but it’s been acquired and steadily upgraded over almost 35 years. Some items were new, some secondhand or ex-demo. While I may mention I enjoy hi-fi, and occasionally the brands (no one generally has heard of them), I rarely specifically talk about the cost unless its with old friends with similar interests when we were at college…

2 Likes

I second that. Also the notion that social media is not necessarily a root cause. To me it’s more of a catalyst. Somehow I suspect the world order always did have a high level of inequality. It’s just easier to get information on it these days, and how inequality within a lot of western civilizations is growing. Add to that another list of causes, and yes, the world gets angrier. What worries me are the folks like Steve Bannon that deliberately fuel this trend. Watching American Dharma scared me.

I think it’s all a bit like angry drivers. Most these drivers are perfectly polite face-to-face, but put the behind a wheel, and in the comfort of a fortress metal box, and they feel safe to do anything.

1 Like