Is the world angrier or is it

IMHO it has become angrier, however you wish to define the word, since the advent of social media.
Where if you disagree there is the fear of being de-platformed and a mob with pitchforks and flaming torches turning up. The book Poverty Safari descibes all this in more detail.
There will always be those who like the sound of their own voice and shout down those who disagree.

4 Likes

My interpretation of @anon4489532 thinking is from the “form/function” perspective. In fact, the majority of people (tend to ) opt for instruments that are unnecessary for their needs.

It may depend on how one interprets ‘needs’…whether they are the ‘basic’ physiological needs, or ‘higher’ level needs - which by some may be considered more as ‘wants’…(e.g. un-necessary in their view)
Prob varies by person, given we may all be a little different based on our circumstances…

We are venturing into Maslow territory here.

5 Likes

Regarding the forum, often any post that can be taken the wrong way is best not replied to or replied to after a cup of tea. Benefit of the doubt goes a long way seeing as a lot of meaning can be lost in text only. Plus people have a natural tendency to contribute without a true grasp that there are thinking feeling people on the other end. In other words, they type things they might not say in person.

Regarding the world at large, yes it is angrier and less tolerant. I have a pet theory that much of this anger and offense is redirected at so many little inconsequential things as a way to vent a collective latent pool of frustration and anger for larger issues that mankind seems impotent to deal with. Whether that is the environment or conflicts that drag on for lifetimes or whatever. That subconscious frustration has to go somewhere and usually it goes somewhere prefixed with a “How dare you say X” After all, it’s a lot easier to get angry and worked up about some silly slight and make a mountain out of a molehill than it is to deal with any of the larger existential topics of our time.

4 Likes

Agreed with your amplitude of view,
For me ,” need “ is not “want.” Is the basic need. Although is a very personal choice.
I Will not give examples , avoiding misunderstood

1 Like

When I was new, I wanted to be at the top of the pyramid. now i just want rest of mind.

A franciscan approach.

:wink:

3 Likes

If we combine Maslow with Darwin and accept that we are merely the most intelligent animal on the planet, then needs can be defined around survival. We need food, shelter and companionship until we produce young. Anything else is want. We can develop from that as we humans like to think as well as produce young. We survive in an environment where we thrive, for way longer than our reproductive years. That is when my needs become your mere wants, or vice versa. The main needs though don’t change, food, shelter and companionship. Well that’s my theory.

2 Likes

Must we? I’ll have to revise Herzberg……

Not really. Hertzberg is motivation theory (and in a work related setting).

Maslow was originally about fundamental human needs.

3 Likes

Are we are all at the self realisation stage when we have our end game system?

Doubt it.

Never gonna happen. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes I know I was having a laff…………

1 Like

There are only two opinions: mine, and the wrong one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Awesome post, very perceptive!

I agree with you my friend, there has been a number of ‘angry’ responses or statements in the forum, I too was on the receiving end of arrogance, and I think it has crept into every day life generally too, not so nice out there sometimes!

1 Like

I used to post quite regularly on the forum but the unnecessary criticism and, dare I say it, aggression from some here were things I took personally.

I’m a sensitive snowflake perhaps, but much happier now simply reading others’ contributions and posting the occasional joke ( plus a picture or two of my late spaniel of course).

5 Likes

In general I think the issue is you have to deal with 250 persons opinion every minute of the day and many try to react to them all convincing others they are wrong and you are in a constant loop of frustration. Some people tend to amplify their opinions making them snobby triggering more anger. That’s why I never signed up for Facebook for example. It’s a place where madness grows and anger is celebrated by the algos. Fear, anger and frustration is something that is a huge money maker. Unfortunately.

I’m sorry to hear that, and no I don’t think you have to be any kind of sensitive snowflake to be affected.

I think this is one of the best forums I have been on but it can still affect us if we feel rejected or dismissed, however unintentional the original post was.

A slight divergence but I sometimes wonder if the lack of posts from those running 90/92 or 150/1112 systems are affected by the obvious wish for many of us (I include myself in this) to celebrate our own systems. It may not always be helpful to someone wanting to upgrade from a 112/150 to be told that a 552 is the best thing since sliced bread when all they need to know is that a Flatcap would improve things.

2 Likes

You are probably not wrong. The way people with say a Statement preamp are treated as if they are the baby Jesus doesn’t help. All it means is that they have deep pockets. Someone with a Nait may get massively more enjoyment from their setup. Everyone is equal, and should be treated as such. Those with the big posh systems don’t act any differently to everyone else, it’s others that put them on a pedestal they neither want nor deserve.

2 Likes