Is there any news about new pre/power amps?

And I didn’t either. But good point that there is a difference between launching and being able to supply.

Part of my decision to get my new Naim units now was that my new (from Nov 2019) NAD C658 pre/streamer had go to service (in May I think, bad time) and did not come back for several months because they could not obtain a broken chip from the supplier. They said it’s a common chip and affects many hifi manufacturers

No unauthorised commercial links in the hifi corner please, thank you.

I’ve never used my hifi more than I do now I’m working from home!

3 Likes

But do you fell the need to swap it?
I’m on the same boat then you, but don’t feel the urge to go burn money on this unsettling times

Indeed… Which leads me to query whether Naim are actually manufacturing kit to fulfill new orders in the present circumstances ? I appreciate dealers stores are closed but orders can still be placed with dealers over the phone I’d assume.

Hi Alan, I was discussing placing an order with my dealer last week. He said Naim are still taking orders but delivery times could be up to 12 weeks.

1 Like

Ah thanks for tip.

From what I last heard, the factory is working with covid precautions and distancing in place, which likely reduces production throughput. Demand is very strong though…

6 Likes

Yes I am hearing in this space (consumer Hi-Fi electronics manufacture) for several companies demand is higher than the reduced output during these Covid times… it’s pushing the prices of used up so I understand, and wait times can be longer for new

1 Like

Richard… thanks for the info.

I know what you mean about unsettling times.

I have to think of hifi as an investment where I could cash in again if I wanted to. I don’t think I’ve ever made a profit, but good second hand kit can hold it’s value pretty well. My NAC82 cost me £830 in 2005 and sold for £706 in late 2020. That’s less that £10 per year of ownership.

2 Likes

I disagree. Investment is to gain money.
What you mean is/ with my specific hobby I will loose less money then other commodities like cars or electronic gadgets

As UK inflation 2005 to 2020 was apparently about 50%, your £830 in 2005 is equivalent to £1245 in 2020, so its net cost to you was the equivalent of £415 in today’s money, an average of almost £28 a year. Still not a bad net cost, but scarcely an investment!

I buy my hifi to enjoy music, and the value upon future sale does not enter my head. It is certainly not an investment, though of course good resale value is a nice bonus, helping fund whatever replaces it. If I fell on hard times getting rid of hifi would be low on my list of priorities, and retaining some sort of system absolutely vital unless it was a life or death matter, in which situation I doubt I’d be in a position to realise maximum value from goods.

6 Likes

Cardoso - I can see your viewpoint. Perhaps I’m stretching the definition of investment.

Let’s put this in the context of a car purchase. Do I rent it monthly, or to I buy it outright. I see that as an investment decision - neither will make money, but I will get use out of it either way. Obviously the best way not to cost money is to have no car (second best is to stick with the one I’ve got or to get a cheaper one).

Bystander - you’re right about inflation, but please don’t spoil my delusion!

2 Likes

i understood. but sometimes its better to clarify the idea,
because may induce in error.

i too create some apologies to "“burn money” on my hobbys. :wink:

Good to hear that. Plenty of demands on the forum! :grin:

1 Like

When we talk of investment in, let’s call them, luxury goods, I don’t think of a monetary return, although some categories of luxury goods can produce a financial gain (fine art, classic cars etc).

I do think of my Naim (and peripheral) purchases as an investment. The return is the long term enjoyment from listening to great music reproduced as faithfully as possible in my home. There is also a pride of ownership that is quite difficult to rationalise.

Additionally, while I am listening to music at home I am not spending money on frivolous things. BTW, I have tried that argument on the wife to get the green light for planned hifi investments. Quickly discovered she is not that gullible.

7 Likes

Nigel… you’re a romantic person. :sweat_smile::wink:

Maybe I like to split hairs, but I just noticed that McIntosh launched new products in August (MC1502) 2020 and September ( MC830) 2020. And the Corona situation in the USA is such servere

Conclusion - there isn’t any news about new pre/power amps.

3 Likes