Is there any way to connect to eduroam(802.1x)

Recently I moved into the student apartment and the network from apartment had made muso qb2 spinning the light circle for searching for network every time when I turned it on. Moreover, the room does not offer any ethernet port, so I can’t figure other alternative ways to connect to network. Could anyone share some ideas or thoughts for me? I just want that the light circle stops spinning and make the speaker to be more convenient.

Many thanks

Unlike a home network, Eduroam requires an academic username as well as a password. Not sure if Naim supports this. If not, you might be able to get a wifi to ethernet adaptor and hard wire it that way?

It uses WPAEnterprise.

https://eduroam.org/how/

Maybe you can install DD-WRT and use it to bridge WPAEneterprise WiFI to ethernet.

Create a Wi-Fi hotspot from an authenticated device( laptop/PC), or use Internet Connection Sharing (same thing, different name)

If you have an iPhone, you could try the “iOS Wireless Accessory Configuration” (like adding an AirPlay device) or “iOS Wi-Fi Key Sharing” (works by connecting your phone to the MuSo via the USB port). Since these methods transfer the wifi credentials from an already-signed-in device, they might work for WPA2 bypassing the need to enter the username… but a quick Google didn’t give any examples on such a setup so I am not really sure. Worth a try…

Check out Chapter 2 in the manual (available here: https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/mu-so%20-qb_product-manual_england_rev3i.pdf)

Does the Mu-so support WPAEnterprise, I highly doubt it does.

It’s quite a specific type of encryption, there is no mention in the specs.

Thanks for the help, I checked the post, I think the reliable one is this one Wireless USB WiFi Adapter, if this has the memory on username and password that would be nice.

Thanks for the help, unfortunately my room does not have any ethernet port, in that sense, I need to use “wireless way” to get the muso into the network.

Agree, it’s a long shot… and no mention of WPA Enterprise in the docs. I suggested only because it costs nothing to try…

I have a WPAEnterprise at home I may try and see if I can connect.

But it will be on a V1 Mu-so.

1 Like

A hardware option might be to look for a mini router with an Ethernet port, capable of joining the university WPA2 Enterprise network via wifi and repeating it over the LAN wired port. Check out the GL.iNet site for something like the Shadow; this is listed as capable of providing such a translation function. You might want to double check whether your university is okay with this or not?

would be nice, but still macbook cant share the network because of the encryption.

When our daughter was at university with a similar (I assume) set up she wanted to use a Wi-Fi only printer. The university system allowed you to log on, input the MAC address of the printer, and all then worked fine. Maybe your university has a similar system?

1 Like

Eduroam is different to a normal university student WiFi in that it is available to anyone with a university email address anywhere in Europe and in principle it covers all university buildings across all of Europe. In order to join it you have to validate your university login as being eligible in a special app and if you are successful then that arranged for a special certificate to be sent to your phone. This certificate gets updated every few months.

Once installed, it allows you to join an Eduroam WiFi network with your usual university login and your phone will automatically join Eduroam whenever it’s present.

This can be surprising. Walking past a university hospital building in Dublin a few months back, I realised that I was now on the Eduroam network (although my University is in England).

Anyway this installing the certificate part of the process needs to happen or you Eduroam network just ignores your attempt to login.

Can’t you proxy additional client devices behind the authenticated device?
Once you have the 802.1x cert installed
that device can be configured to bridge interfaces between Wi-Fi and Ethernet one would assume.
You could do that with something like a Raspberry Pi and a Switch.
You might have to double NAT to mask source MAC address so some things may not work as expected but streaming audio should be able to navigate that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.