Is there something wrong with people today?

None of the above surprises me, we’ve all heard stories where people were to busy taking photos to actually help someone in trouble. We’ve become a world full of narcissists, it’s not helped by our current crop of leaders who choose to divide rather than unite.

Of course there is good in the world, just wish sometimes those people would speak up more often.

1 Like

The mythical figure Narcissus was ‘living’ a long time ago. I don’t believe that mankind has changed so much. I do believe that people value things different and are - especially in context of different cultures - sensitive to different things.

1 Like

You may well be right and it may only be the fact that we’re in contact with more people these days. But it’s hard to deny that we have leaders who seem hell bent on dividing us.

As long as you are safe. A while ago, where I live, a man stopped to get a dog off the road and he was run over and killed by a car.

That’s just tragic on every level.

1 Like

Unfortunately, we also have a general problem in rural areas with people hitting cows and other animals on the road too. I once hit a farmers dog that ran out straight in front of me, it was the dog or the car rolling into a steep ditch.

Think we’ve gone off topic. How’s your SN2, are you going to keep it.

1 Like

Indeed. The SN2 is still wonderful and not broken I’m pleased to say, so it’s staying. Thinking about power supplies though…

Maybe that is a London or large city thing. Here in Devon I think that you would have got help. I have seen a few times where someone falls over in the street, or something happens, and several people go to help. Quite heartening.

1 Like

For a couple of years I commuted between my local train station and Exeter, and found people were quite willing to chat on the train.

a year or so ago as I was driving in to Halesworth with my wife we saw a Parsons terrier sitting beside the road on an s bend. On the way back some 45 mins to an hour later the terrier was still sitting there and as I was a bit better prepared I was able to pull over out of the way. I went over and spoke to the dog who seemed happy enough but we weren’t really happy leaving her there. Only a b road but very busy. Knocked on door of nearby house, no answer. Anyway we took her to local vet who scanned her, she was chipped, Vet rang owner, could we take her back well of course, where? To the house we found her outside… Owner has two houses dog prefers the one we found her by and makes her own way there on occasion.

We were guilty of dogknapping!

5 Likes

Better than doing nothing! Well done. :smiley:

Yep, better than doing nothing.

But if the owner had arrived just as you were putting the dog in the car…

Quite a few years ago (probably about 30 years ago !), whilst on holiday in Cornwall, rather late on a dark evening, we passed a cyclist stood by the roadside. We pulled up and reversed to ask if everything was alright.

It was a young lad, aged about 13 and he was utterly lost. He was also on holiday, had left the campsite where his family was, but hadn’t a clue as to which campsite or whereabouts it was.

He gave a limited description of the site. We put his bike in the back of the estate and him on the back seat and set of in search of his campsite. After a couple of wrong calls and about an hour later, we found the one with his family.

I would be terrified to think of even my eldest grandson (11 and 3/4) out in the dark alone on his bike whilst on holiday in Cornwall (or anywhere).

2 Likes

A lot depends on the value you put on a dog vs people. In some parts of the world you might be thinking more of free-range protein! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And that can go either way!

one day , making bike sport, i saw a little pig walking lost in the countryside. I put him in my back in a bag and searched the owner in all farms in the neighborhood. However he was making strange noises in my back, and i finished to be tired. I bought him a special muzzle and a lead. As i didn’t found the owner, i came back to my home with him. My wife begun to cry ! :woman_judge::weary::weary:

1 Like

more seriously, i found people more and more egocentric today and not careful to other. In autobus or métro, here in France, very few people will stand up to let an old person sit down.
When you try to get off a train, people don’t let you get off easily because they want first to get on.
These behaviors are very disappointing and i am sometimes nasty with that people.
Same with parents and children in public places: very often children are running, disturbing clients in restaurants, making noise…but the parents don’t say anything.
The use of mobile phones in the collective transports is also problematic, without respect to people sitting near.

2 Likes

So you end up raising the pig?

i have eaten him finally :laughing::star_struck: