Is this the beginning of the end?

Non, c’est ne pas Francois, c’est Reeeshard :grinning:

4 Likes

Oui, du Danemark.

1 Like

Decisions at Naim have been made at board level for many, many years. It seems to have gone OK so far…

3 Likes

Battery driven Mu-So (for Bentley)

1 Like

Naim is staying firmly in Salisbury, it’s not moving anywhere.

1 Like

Yes the “mainstream” stuff goes well but on the classic stuff it feels rather dead. But I’m sure it brings more revenue to the company, also moving production to the east. Depends on what success means for you.

1 Like

No, having Naim equipment designed and made by hand in Salisbury is a key part of its appeal.

9 Likes

Nothing against France at all.

Detached/ remote business decision making is usually not a good thing. And Charlie’s departure without a replacement begs the question of who will do his job in the future. I hope whoever takes over Charlie’s managerial duties sits locally, close to business operations, and that key decision making is not done remotely.

3 Likes

What a handsome young devil, out with those english wines then😉.

1 Like

You’re wrong, I’m afraid. The classic kit has being going great guns - amazing really when you consider that much has remained little changed since it was introduced.

4 Likes

Oh dear. Looks a bit like a young Poirot…

6 Likes

BMW makes cars and understands automobile - and BMW was already supplying engine and other key components to RR before licensing the brand.

What does Focal know about amps?

2 Likes

Likewise, and of businesses being asset-stripped, and of venture capitalists ruining a business, and of businesses growing too big, losing sight of the important things, and eventually collapsing. It is, unfortunately, the corporate world in which we live.

But there are also success stories (though no, I can’t think of an example in equivalent circumstances - But nor can I of failure). Change, some at least, is inevitable in the commercial business world, including hifi, and it just has to be hoped that in this case there is a vision that is able to take Naim forward building on its strengths. And in terms of existing customers I would imagine that a largely loyal customer base bringing significant repeat business is something they would not lightly discard, in their analysis and decisions on a way forward. Yes, driven by money, but that in turn requires brand success.

7 Likes

I’m not really sure what you’re saying here.

Naim make the electronics. Focal make speakers.

1 Like

The news doesn’t say that R&D goes to France. But focal is no stranger to hi-fi industry.
They have known how in other different departments . I don’t believe that they would do much changes to the direction defined by Naim:
The shareholders like to make money. And Naim is doing it.

1 Like

I think after so many years, it’s clear that in Naim and Focal’s case the venture capital investors have been very much for the good, giving them the level of investment they have needed, and allowing both companies and both brands to go from strength to strength.

6 Likes

Why does change have to be bad ? Charlie seems to have done a great job and new incumbent might take it to the next level, I will reserve judgement until I see a game plan.

5 Likes

Naim are seemingly doing well, generating income, have an excellent brand awareness and are sensibly diversifying to include more mass-market products with the lifestyle ranges. This is all good.

Keyboard warriors notwithstanding…

2 Likes

I understand your thoughts, but take a look to their website. Naim / Focal are pretty complimentary businesses. I’m not in for their hifi loudspeakers but their portfolio looks strong for sure.

1 Like

Based on my experience doing corporate M&A, when a parent company removes a local head after an acquisition without a suitable replacement, it almost always signals the parent company will be more involved in corporate decision making of the sub.

So in the future, if Focal gets to make big strategic decisions on where Naim is headed, then this will impact Naim’s DNA. Some people may well prefer the new Naim, but it may not be the same Naim.

5 Likes