Isolation for PMC Twenty5.23 on wood floor

The floor in our lounge is concrete with underlay and carpet. We are changing the underlay/carpet to engineered wood with a 3mm sound/damp layer under the wood. I currently have the speakers spiked through to the concrete floor. What do people with PMC speakers find best solution for use on wood floors. Spike shoes, Gaia feet or what. Many thanks in advance.

I can vouch for the Gaia III under the 25.23s. They tighten everything up nicely

3 Likes

Gaias…

Simple

1 Like

I use the spike shoes that PMC supply under my Twenty5.23s on a wooden floor on an upper floor. They well on the end of a Nova and NAC A5.

1 Like

I use Gaia 3 on my 25 26s and I’m very happy with the result. Certainly tightened up the bass and now sound very clear and natural especially in the midrange.

1 Like

I use Gaia’s on my 25.23’s on oak flooring, happy with the result.

1 Like

Many thanks for the answers, including the pic from @Gsr which shows Gaia in situ. With 4 out of 5 saying Gaia it looks like I’ll be giving them a trial.
Many thanks again.

No PMC but Monitor Audio, also with wood on concrete. Happy with the Gaias too, in particular for the price. I tried Finite Elemente Cerabase as well, but the Ceraballs (around the same price as the Gaia III) did not do it for me - very clean but also cold and boring tendency to me. I also tried the Slimline and they were quite good, but not made for speakers and hence impractical to level. Still this clean tendency but without the cold part. Still I think they gave a hint what the Cerabases can do and the Cerabase Compact would have been worth to try, but by dealer did no have them available at the time and anyway they are 3 times the price of the Gaia III and in this range the Townshend Seismic certainly have to be tried too. (But that would be more than one third of the speakers price, so I am not going there right now)

The Gaia made everything more 3D, instrument bodies more present. But sound a bit more laid back than the Cera (Slimline), a matter of taste. Apart from the sound I like their practical handling: Leveling is reasonably easy (but take care with it for best results), footprint is small (compared to Townshend …), positioning is easy (slide a dishcloth under them), and even narrow/high speakers are safely connected to floor by the suction cups and surviving a shove. (make sure to level precisely so that weight is distributed across all feet and they all move in step, then all 4 cups will have suction to the floor)

1 Like

PMC 20.23 + Gaia 3 on a suspended pine floor (with a granite slab between the G3 and the floor, as the latter is slightly uneven).

1 Like

Seems that Gaia are well liked. Will speak to my dealer to see if I can get a demo. Will have to wait for the floor to be laid first - 3 weeks to go.

There’s a dedicated thread on the Gaia’s you might find interesting as it has a few varied opinions.

I have also had a good experience with them on my fact 8s.

1 Like

Many thanks @Stampie for the link. I’ll go read the thread now.

If you don’t have to negotiate aesthetics with anyone (or even yourself dependening on taste: A concrete slab with some of that rubber material that you but in a hardware store to isolate vibrations for your washin machine. It’s not a sexy solution but cheap and does the trick. My stands needed to be 20 cm higher as well, so I’ve applied this rubber-concrete lasagna setup with 3 slabs in my study (no WAF there to take into consideration).

1 Like

Unfortunately there will be an element of aesthetics from significant other so concrete/granite slabs might not (read won’t) be acceptable.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.