Isolation - this time it's speakers (and Gaias)

Likewise!

2 Likes

Any recommendation where to get the gaias where the vendor is ok about returns?

Check with AudioT, who were doing “no like, no keep” when I got mine from them.

Where are you based?

2 Likes

Online sales are required by law to allow the buyer to return an item that was purchased unseen if you change your mind after receiving it. This means that in effect you always have the right to return an item, and in practice most retailers are happy to go along with it.

North Oxfordshire

Try Oxford Audio Consultants?

2 Likes

Just installed Gaia II’s on my Sonus faber Olympica Nova 2’s
I’ll just say that they are not getting uninstalled anytime soon :sunglasses:

8 Likes

It just occurred to me to mention: The Focal Chora 816 floor standing speakers have cheap plastic feet with little rubber “nubs” as feet. There was no way to use the bases with the Gaia 3s, another problem is the tilt of the speaker was achieved with the base. Without the base the speaker sat flat. So I contacted Isoacoustics and they sent me long studs in order to get the angle I wanted. Once I had them I cut them to the perfect length as the ones they sent were too long (longer than I asked for.) So here’s the finished product:

And again…astounding difference. The bases were garbage which is why they make such a difference.

4 Likes

I am not sure they are working optimally with the speaker tilted back like that.
For one, the whole foot is now on an angle.
Two, physics tells me there is more weight now over the rear two feet.
As long as you are happy I guess.

1 Like

That matches the tilt the bases had.

1 Like

I am sure it does, but the GAIA’s are meant to sit square to the ground I believe.
The thread (in the speaker) that you are screwing the foot into is not drilled on an angle is it?
I am not trying to be a (d…k ) here, I am a machinist, so deal with holes, angles etc. every day.

The bases were flat, parallel to the floor? Youve removed the bases and put the gaias straight onto the speakers?
They are now angled so not working optimally.
May i ask could not the gaias have been fitted to the original bases?

1 Like

Has anyone tried Gaia feet with a speaker that has inherent suspension in the design (e.g. the Naim SL2)? If so, what was your impression?

I’m wondering as the design of the SL2 was to isolate the speaker cabinet from vibration via the leaf spring, and I wonder if additional isolation would be beneficial or cause other problems…

1 Like

No.

I spoke with Isoacoustics about the situation. And as I said, the improvement is dramatic. So…apparently it works.

3 Likes

I have a look at the Townshed website out of interest as hadn’t heard of them before.

One query is, how do the speakers fit on and connect to the podium bases?

DG…

Tilting speakers backwards can have significant benefits, especially where the tweeters are low down such as on my Keilidhs. Maybe a slightly different effect with Focals. Whether this is optimal in engineering terms or just a happy accident depends on whether the sound improves to your ears.

1 Like

Simple, they just sit on the Podiums.

1 Like

My Kharma DB7’s have the tilt back built right into the speakers, I will add a manufacturer side view, which shows it better than my personal photos.
Also, I did own Gaia’s at one time, they are under the Dynaudio XD 600’s (white floorstanders), so I know first hand how they are supposed to work.