Isolation - this time it's speakers (and Gaias)

There certainly is something to be said for it, but hey I know….:confused:

Awaiting your call, best Peter

1 Like

Thanks, very interesting that they also perform well on concrete floors. I met the late Mr Townshend a few years ago at a London f
Hifi show. Very engaging character and grounded in the science for sure,

The video is excellent, hadn’t seen it before. Not sure I buy into all of it though. The micro tremors seems a bit far fetched to me. He mentions tremors of typically 1 micron, and then equates that to the excursion of a tweeter diaphragm, also similar magnitude. Don’t know why this is relevant. More relevant would be to compare it with the wavelength of a high frequency sound, in case it could be producing any phase effects. But the wavelength of a 10khz tone would be circa 3.5cm. In other words several orders of magnitude larger than the tremor, so no phase effects possible.

Also surprised at how “lively” he reckons even a concrete floor is. But he seems to have measured it and users on this forum confirm that the Gaias also work well on concrete.

They are effectively a system comprising a large mass (loudspeaker), a spring, and I believe some damping too. The Podiums are “tuned” to a different frequency from the Gaias, and use a fairly softly sprung base. This allows fairly large excursions of the loudspeaker, hence why they need a large base for stability.

All very interesting…

1 Like

Gaia’s II-Stunning upgrade for the Audiovector R6🙂

6 Likes

They don’t seem to sit straight under the speaker or is it just the perspective of the pic?

Can Giai work with downward firing bass drivers?

We have Sonus Faber currently on spikes onto carpet discs, but the Giai iii would be much higher than this - will it change the way bass is delivered from a downward firing port which will be much further from ground than SF intended?

I’ve also just read the IsoAcoustucs website and it says the M10 thread isn’t included as standard with iii and available via distributors so that might make it a faff to source these rather than clicking “buy now” :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Some dealers have a special offer on them at the moment.

yes indeed, they are not really straight due the Audiovector screw thread (I presume).However, normally its not so noticeable as on this picture.

1 Like

I have seen this….and then look at some of the ATC stands and wonder if they could do much better?

I use the Chord Silent Mounts under my ATC stands. They made quite a positive difference. I haven’t tried the ISO Acoustics or Stillpoints on the stands though, so can’t really say what works best, but the Chords are more discreet visually.

3 Likes

Don’t see why down firing drivers would make any difference, the Gaias simply decouple the floor from the cabinets by means of a softly sprung footing. My ProAc shave down firing ports ( though not drivers) and Gaias work brilliantly.

Paul

2 Likes

I can imagine Gaias having an impact because they change the gap from floor to driver by a kot in % terms. However, the fact that speaker makers like Neat (no stranger to full isobaric designs) seem very happy with Gaias suggests that this is not a real-world problem.

1 Like

That was my concern - it will add quite a bit to the height of port from floor which might change the tuning of the speaker positioning.

Guess we won’t know until we try and at 400 quid for two pairs it seems quite a cheap tweak compared to some options :smile:

Speakers can always be moved.

2 Likes

I use the Gaia’s with my ProAc K6 Signatures on a concrete floor. Cleaned up the bass and the mids & tweets are more detailed. A highly recommended upgrade for any speaker.

3 Likes

I got a set of Herbies as well and can recommend them for thin carpeted floors.

2 Likes

do gaias work fine on bookshielf speakers from focal,sonus faber . i have a strikt landlord she was upset when she saw my lovan spickes rack on the floor so i was thinking about gaias

If you are placing smaller speakers on a bookshelf, you should look at the IsoAcoustics OREO range.
Like the Gaias but without the threaded stud

2 Likes

Has anyone replaced the spikes on lightweight open frame stands supporting BBC speakers such as Rogers, Graham, Harbeth, Falcon etc. with isolation feet from the likes of Isoacoustics Gaia? In other words, do the Gaias work with lightweight open frame stands?

I can’t help with your question but if you don’t get a clear answer I suggest emailing the company. I found them very helpful and their answer actually meant I didn’t need to buy another set of Gaias for new speakers which I had thought I would need to do.

1 Like

Why not ‘suck and see’ ryder? ATB Peter

1 Like

I just found a Darko Audio review of the Isoacoustics Gaia III used on the exact lightweight open frame stands which I have. Reviews are positive. Looking good.

3 Likes

I use Gaias under my SBLs onto a marble slab on carpet on a suspended wooden floor. They replaced spikes and the difference with the bass - even with a sub - was amazing - tight with no overhang boom. They were tricky to fit but well worth the effort and cost for me that is.

3 Likes