Issue with my New 52's Phono Input

Yes. That’s why I bought the stage line.

Interesting. I have to say I never enjoyed either of the two Stagelines I had (an N and an S), but could be content with the onboard cards, even if I chose to use an external stage.

I used the MM with a SUT. Now use a Ypsilon vps100, vinyl is king in my house.

The 52, when properly set up for the individual user’s needs, is very good, and really doesn’t need an array of external back boxes stacked outside it. We moved on from hair shirts a long time ago!

1 Like

I use S boards in my 52 with no issues whatsoever

1 Like

When I had a NAC52, I used the internal boards with a Linn Troika cartridge on an LP12. It sounded very good indeed. I had both K and S boards, but can’t recall which I was using. I wouldn’t be in any hurry to move on to an external preamplifier, just get the boards serviced. The 52 is a brilliant preamp, only bettered in the Naim range by the 552 and S1 in my opinion.

Additionally, if you’re concerned about phono-BNC connectors, why not have the phono plugs swapped to BNC on the tone arm leads?

1 Like

I believe that they sound wonderful, I’m searching for mind blowing :wink: My Ypsilon tube phono and SUT achieves that end, the stageline M is damn good with the ypsilon sut. The internals very nice. I like to be compelled to look up and listen, or to get chills.

They are serious hifi, no doubt, just seeking the next level thats all, no disrespect meant.

Didn’t think there was any disrespect, just that we don’t agree on the relative merits of Stagelines and internal cards. :slight_smile:

I’m using a 52 with internal boards. The 52 was serviced in 2008 and the boards were serviced about 7 years ago when they were in my then 82 (my Supercap was serviced about 5 years ago). They work very well for me and are more than revealing enough for me to appreciate the a recent tonearm upgrade from a Roksan Tabrizi to a Vertere arm. My new arm has further widened the gap between my turntable and my nds/555ps which I think was already considerable. For me the nds is now not within touching distance of the tt. This with internal boards.
That’s not to say I might not think about a separate phone stage for sometime in the future, but for now I’m very content.

1 Like

Sorry to take this further off-topic - does this only apply to the Black DR?

Naim Focal Canada highly recommended to get my Olive Supercap DR’d for use with my 52 which was serviced at the same time.

Back to topic - I do have the K and S cards but unfortunately pick up RF noise (actual radio signal) where I am located. Otherwise the sound is really excellent. I will be comparing to a Superline on the 52 shortly…

1 Like

Olive cannot be dr’d

1 Like

It does seem to happen outside of the UK, done by regional distributors. Not the first time I’ve heard of a DR’d olive item; I want to say the other one was in Australia.

Interesting. No he told me any DR with the 52 Of note he had financial incentive to tell me to DR, still said no. Like I said previously I never listened myself.

Jeff

Seems very strange if distributors did things Naim says can’t be done

We tried a Supercap DR on our 52 as a possible upgrade to our serviced olive SC.

The olive SC stayed. The SC-DR brought the better hifi attributes that come with a lower noise floor but the timing went off and with it the emotional engagement & enjoyment. We preferred slightly fuzzy but fun to clearer but dull.

By way of contrast, the Superline was clearly better in every way when powered by the SC-DR than when powered by an olive SC. It was phenomenal.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

I agree. Probably someone with better search skills than mine can find it.

Edited for this link: Olive hicap discussion

I’ve seen a few Olive items advertised as being DR. Never investigated thoroughly.

Although if I’m buying secondhand I generally ring Naim to check on the service history. I assume at that point it would become obvious if it was a non-standard feature.

Not a distributor - the service was performed by Naim-Focal North America which is a fully owned operation by Naim.

Only few items can be Converted to DR: olive Supercap, XPS. However the 250 Olive cannot be upgraded.

I will need to get my second Supercap recapped - this time without DR upgrade to be able to compare.

I will get my next Olive Supercap serviced as recap only to be able to compare the Olive SC DR. I could use the Olive SC with 52 and the Olive SC DR with the Superline then :wink:

1 Like

My reply was to this:

But anyways I am surprised about what you wrote, I always thought this was not possible

1 Like