James Webb Infrared telescope

Certainly, our non-contributions should be banned to darker corners of the forum, I just don’t see a bright future for a JWT thread until summer

Unfortunately there are too many posts to move now so the system just chokes.

1 Like

We’ll just shut up, anyone who wants to can open a new thread for very, very smart people about QM and the like, this thread will slowly wither and die, and a new JWT thread can be opened in time when anything interesting happens :slight_smile:

Sounds like a plan…

1 Like

Anything can happen in the Padded Cell - even when it’s a Lounge.

1 Like

Please don’t include me in musings!

The relevance of my posts is to do with the science JWT might cast light on! The concept of looking back to the early universe needs some careful thought. Importantly JWT has a spectrometer which enables emission lines from hydrogen in particular to be located thus measuring the Red Shift. The measurement of distance depends on being able to identify particular types of object whose magnitude and size fall into a narrow range. I’ve seen nothing more than red blobs. The inverse square law then enables distance to be estimated. Early stars are quite different to those we see now according to Brian Cox. I’m not quite sure how they are sure they can extrapolate Hubble’s Law. Scientific peer review will be in overdrive to ensure the results stand up to scrutiny!

I also read that JWT will take a look at asteroids and more normal stuff that may be closer to us.

I don’t think pilot wave stuff is yet the subject of serious physics. One experiment has been put in its place by Neil Bohr’s grandson!

Phil

Please don’t stop. As a total numpty who failed CSE maths (passable by a moderately intelligent chimp), but who discovered physics through the writing of Feynman and Hawking I have found this discussion riveting.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement, Badger.

Yes, maybe there’s life in this mad thread yet!

I do love Feynman, his lectures are brilliant.

Such a thoughtful physicist, and so careful, yet so witty, and not at all scared to speculate and discuss the most difficult topics in the way that he speaks.

I read the first Hawking book when it was published too.

As it happens, I passed my Maths O level a year early, but then failed my Physics O level because I was in full Punk rebellion mode by then and didn’t like the ancient disciplinary systems of my school or my Physics teacher.

They somehow made Physics boring!

2 Likes

The Blog James Webb Space Telescope covers the mirror alignment process which is going very well.

Phil

1 Like

With the first captured light as well :slight_smile:

I imagine being strapped to the :cold_face: side of the James Webb telescope.

Looking back at events incomprehensibly distant.

With this album playing:

Still life in the old dog yet…

Hubble Space Telescope spies Earendel in furthest ever look back in time

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.