Jazz Music Thread

Some excellent British Jazz from a ‘youngish’ quartet based in London lead by Saxophonist James Allsopp featuring Ross Stanley - Piano, Riaan Vosloo - Bass and Tim Giles on Drums. Both records are made up of Jazz standards and are released on Impossible Ark Records from my home town Brighton.
Even though they are both limited to only 300 copies each and are not available on any other format they are both still available for less than £20 on Discogs which is an absolute steal.

Allsopp Vosloo Stanley Giles - Once In a While - Impossible Ark Records (2012)

James Allsopp Quartet - I’m a Fool To Want You - Impossible Ark Records (2016)

3 Likes

Saw this band play this live back in 95 at a club called the Rythmic in Islington. Good stuff

1 Like

Right now I’m listening to Art Pepper’s The Trip on LP (The stunning Boplicity issue from the 80s). Such a great album, the title tune composed when he was in San Quentin.

3 Likes

Hope it’s ok to post this link, some exciting audiophile reissues on the near horizon.

Sorry csnt get link to embed. See below

Neil that link is no good. Better to just refer to the Analogplanet announcement of a few days ago, which gives all the details.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/verve-label-groupume-announces-chad-kassem-supervised-all-analog-classic-jazz-reissue-series

1 Like

Ok, Thank you Richard.

Still ripping to the hard drive and came across this forgotten cd.
Whilst I am a great fan of Milt Jackson‘s output this is about as far as I wish to follow Brother Coltrane’s career.
Must have enjoyed it as I played it twice.
N

6 Likes

Well jazzman you follow your path and I will follow mine. I have 65 years experience listening to jazz and if I don’t know what I like now I guess it’s to late to learn.
N

You’re right! Enjoying the Gershwin track on Qobuz on my office system, right now. (I’ll give it a whirl on the main rig later today.) With all the inevitable gloom and doom around at the moment, I find this a great way to cheer up.

Thanks again, Roger

1 Like

Great album. Particularly like “Night train” - bass tour de force.

2 Likes

During COVID-19 lockdown our Jazz Appreciation group, in place of the normal monthly meeting, has been reviewing an “Album of the Week”. The album is randomly selected from the list at:
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/50-greatest-jazz-albums-ever/

This week the album is…

46: John Coltrane And Thelonious Monk: At Carnegie Hall (Blue Note)

This live recording of Monk and Trane playing together for a charity benefit concert in November 1957 was thought lost until the master tape was discovered languishing in the vaults of the US Library Of Congress in 2005. It’s a perfectly preserved document capturing Coltrane during his six-month tenure with Monk, which came after Miles Davis had fired him earlier in the year (and two months after the saxophonist had recorded his Blue Train album). Both men, supported by bassist Ahmed Abdul-Malik and drummer Shadow Wilson, are at the peak of their respective creative powers, with Coltrane navigating Monk’s tricky melodies and unorthodox chord changes with consummate ease. A compelling portrait of two geniuses at work.
Key song : ‘Blue Monk’

So far we’ve listened to the following albums:

Ellington at Newport
The Amazing Bud Powell
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
The Genius of Charlie Christian
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Benny Goodman - At Carnegie Hall 1938
The Mahavishnu Orchestra With John McLaughlin - The Inner Mounting Flame
The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan
Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity

Dave

6 Likes

I wish I could join your jazz appreciation group! You’ve listened to some great albums on that list, including two which I’d take to my desert island.

1 Like

You’re right! Enjoying the Gershwin track on Qobuz on my office system, right now. I’ll give it a whirl on the main rig later, once the thunder stops.

Thanks again, Roger

1 Like

Hi @anon41143757, thanks for the suggestion. Just played the album. Very nice. I didn’t know Wynton Kelly yet, but he is a very good artist
Iver

1 Like

I have this L.p. and love it.yes, not his best known work, but a lovely listen.

I’d really like Coltrane - Ballads due for release in August I think but not at silly U.S. postage costs. You can pre order the Oscar Peterson from Amazon U.S but shipping is $28.

1 Like

Chet Baker - Peace - Enja Records (1982)
Finally got to listen to this recent purchase and it’s an excellent pressing Enja can be a bit hit and miss but this German copy is excellent.
Horace Silver’s - Peace and Jerome Kern’s - The Song Is You which are both excellent or the only non original songs the rest are all written by David Friedman who also plays the Marimba and the vibraphone on the LP. Chet has one of his very good days on this some of it has an almost ambient feel to it.

2 Likes

Art Pepper & Sonny Redd - Art Pepper & Sonny Redd - Savoy Records RE Japan (1993)
I gave this a quick spin when I first got it and to be 100% honest although the music itself is top draw that play through although more than playable it sounded a bit thick around the midrange but playing two tracks again tonight it sounds better.
Although it’s billed as Art Pepper and Sonny Redd like many reggae LP’s the two don’t actually perform together Art plays on Deep Purple and the two tracks I replayed tonight
Everything Happens To Me and Those Foolish Things whilst Sonny plays on Watkins Production and Redd’s Head and neither play on the last track What’s New which features the excellent Jack Montrose on Sax.
The mixed line up as you can see features some excellent players.

3 Likes

And my last spin earlier
Miles Davis - Ascenseur por l’échafaud - 3X10" Box Set Fontana (2018)

This is an excellent little box set of Mile’s famous French film soundtrack as well as the original release there are lots out takes etc. Well worth the money sounds excellent.

8 Likes