Jazz Music Thread

Listening to “I Love You Porgy” at the moment - gorgeous - next track is “Amandla” from the Miles Davis LP ‘Amandla - Mr Pastorius’ (which I love)
With the added bonus of Roy Hargrove on trumpet - superb !!!

5 Likes

Chet Baker & Paul Bley - Diane - Steeplechase Records , 1985
I absolutely love this record. Considered to be quite an odd pairing but to me they come together so beautifully it’s as if they’ve played together hundreds of times.
Just a piano and a trumpet no hundred note a second solo gymnastics just simple interplay between two musicians who look like two very ordinary blokes but play some extraordinary music.

4 Likes

Milan Svoboda & Contraband - Family - Lotos, 1998

Not the best recording, but a great album nonetheless

The obvious response!

8 Likes

There is a little side story on YT told by Montreal Jazzfest’s André Ménard about him trying to book the duet for the festival soon after Diane’s release. He mixes up SteepleChase and Timeless Records though!

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil. Blue Note 1964. Playing a rip of the 2013 Japan SHM-CD re-issue with the ‘bonus’ alternate takes.

8 Likes

Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser

I was going to post this on the WAYLT thread, but couldn’t think why anyone else would be interested, so as there’s no such constraint here…

This may not be Monk’s finest musically, but there’s some wonderful ideas from Charlie Rouse and the recorded sound is so three dimensional that I feel as if I could walk around between the players in the studio.

12 Likes

Thanks for this, great album that I hadn’t heard before.

1 Like

I read Chet’s autobiography and it’s full of stories like this. Like his concerts his records are also hit and miss but when he was good he was just incredible.
What people don’t realise when they think about Chet is that far from the romantic notion of a great jazz musician who took drugs Chet was a fully fledged heroin addict who played and recorded to fund his addiction which is why there are so many Chet Baker records because he would agree to do a record for a flat fee in cash no contract.
If he couldn’t get drugs on time before a performance he’d just turn up when he had or not at all if he couldn’t with Chet Heroin came first, second and third.

1 Like

Glad you liked it. The excellent Japanese Folk Song was heavily edited for vinyl, but the CD version contains the full unedited song as originally recorded. It’s quite addictive.

2 Likes

:sunglasses:
1 Like

Art Farmer Quintet - Blame It on My Youth. 1988 Contemporary Records.
Art Farmer-flugelhorn, Clifford Jordan-saxophone, Rufus Reid-bass, Victor Lewis-drums, James Williams-piano.

6 Likes

And this one.image

But best of all.image

N

2 Likes

Art Farmer/Jim Hall - Big Blues. 1978 CTI.
Art Farmer-flügelhorn, Jim Hall-guitar, Mike Mainieri-vibes, Michael Moore-bass, Steve Gadd-drums
There are ‘audiophile vinyl’ re-issues of this one out there!

3 Likes

My favourite Art:

3 Likes

Nice Art listed above @Nick1940 @Richard! Now playing:
Art Farmer Quartet feat. Jim Hall - Live at the Half-Note. Recorded 1963, Atlantic CD.
Art Farmer-flugelhorn, Jim Hall-g, Steve Swallow-b, Walter Perkins-dr

3 Likes

Jim Hall steals the show!

2 Likes

He is ‘ON’
Turning the heat up a bit:
Woody Shaw - Song of Songs. Recorded in 1972. Contemporary Records.
Woody Shaw-tr, Benny Maupin, Ramon Morris- ts, Emmanuel Boyd-fl & ts, George Cables-p, Henry Franklin-b, Woody Theus-b.

3 Likes

Woody Shaw - The Moontrane. 1974. Muse Records. 1993 CD issue.

3 Likes

Woody Shaw - Blackstone Legacy. Recorded Dec. 1970, Contemporary Records 1999 CD (his debut as leader!).
Woody Shaw - trumpet
Gary Bartz - alto saxophone, soprano saxophone
Bennie Maupin - tenor saxophone, bass clarinet
George Cables - piano, electric piano
Ron Carter - bass
Clint Houston - electric bass
Lenny White - drums

3 Likes