Jazz Music Thread

51lEIFdj75L.AC

Herbie Hancock - The New Standard

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

On first glance this record would not seem to have much promise from a jazz standpoint. Herbie Hancock performs a set of tunes which include numbers from the likes of Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder, Sade, Paul Simon, Prince, the Beatles (“Norwegian Wood”) and Kurt Cobain. However by adding vamps, reharmonizing the chord structures, sometimes quickly discarding the melodies and utilizing an all-star band, Hancock was able to transform the potentially unrewarding music into creative jazz. Hancock, who sticks to acoustic piano, shows that he is still in prime form, taking quite a few fiery solos. With Michael Brecker on tenor and surprisingly effective soprano, guitarist John Scofield, bassist Dave Holland, drummer Jack DeJohnette and percussionist Don Alias (along with an occasional horn or string section that was dubbed in later), the results are often quite hard-swinging and certainly never predictable. Although it is doubtful that any of these songs will ever become a jazz standard, Herbie Hancock has successfully created a memorable set of “new” music. Well worth investigating.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

John Scofield - A Go Go

AllMusic Review by Tim DiGravina [-]

John Scofield owes a great deal to Medeski, Martin & Wood for the success of A Go Go. The piano/organ, bass, and drum playing trio adds a world of bouncing vibes to Scofield’s inquisitive, happy guitar work here. A Go Go is an album of mostly breezy, sometimes tense, jam-based grooves. The album’s charm is in its “city meets the tropics” feel. The four players create such a warm, vibrant sound that resisting the urge to tap one’s feet along with the beat becomes a near impossibility. The opening song is a treat of plucked guitars and tightly packed new jazz. Other standouts are “Kubrick,” a swooning, gentle change of pace packed with background tension, and “Hottentot,” a tour de force of dynamic interplay. There’s nary a moment of filler to be found across the ten tracks. It’s clear that Scofield enjoyed the collaboration, as his guitars seem to nearly speak joy. His alternately jangling and plucking style sees him weaving in and out of the young trio’s sound net with ample confidence. As fun as A Go Go is, it’s just as well-sequenced, as Scofield and company vary their pace and tone expertly throughout the album’s running time. A Go Go is far more than four cool cats jamming together and enjoying each other’s company. It’s an immensely entertaining, enlightening ride.

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

I have now to listen to these 27 tracks, so will tell you after which are my favourites.

:+1::+1:
Have it. As the Herbie above.

1 Like
1 Like

For now I enjoyed all the tracks, however my preference goes a bit vs Jose Bertrami, these 2 albums:

image image

1 Like

Great, enjoy!!

1 Like

Meddy Gerville and Ximo Tebar , great too.

1 Like

Steve who runs the Colchester Jazz Club was a true Scofield fan boy and managed to get him to appear several years ago at our very modest premises. The only other group member I can remember was the drummer,Bill Stewart. I came away with (sore ears) and appreciation of his talents. I keep a you tube watch on his endeavours.

1 Like

The resurgence in vinyl sales leaves us cd collectors in a very favourable position. I can stream with the nd5 but prefer the fuller sound of the capped CD5.My old lugs are not worth further investment🦻.
Three gaps filled in the BlueNote department and a Herb Geller which I was unfamiliar with

£6.00 (av)each plus £3.00 postage.

3 Likes

JS item number 2 on today’s Jazz RecordRequests.
N

:+1: :+1: for Horse and Fish

1 Like

20210221_163646
:heart:

3 Likes

20210221_163811
The Story Of Miles Davis ‘In A Silent Way’ | Classic Album Sundays

:heart:

6 Likes

As a spotty youth I always imagined a life with either her or Julie London.
N

1 Like

Bill Bruford’s Earthworks (1987)

Fine fusion album.

• Bill Bruford / drums, percussion, whirled instruments
  • Iain Ballamy / saxophones
  • Django Bates / keyboards, horn and trumpet
  • Mick Hutton / acoustic bass
4 Likes

@RexManning Akira Jimbo was the drummer with Japanese Jazz Fusion band Casiopea.

That’s right! I have a lot of his music. His and Tetsuo Sakurai’s.

1 Like

I feel I have to use PayPal once more :grin:

2 Likes