Jazz Music Thread

20210221_163646
:heart:

3 Likes

20210221_163811
The Story Of Miles Davis ‘In A Silent Way’ | Classic Album Sundays

:heart:

6 Likes

As a spotty youth I always imagined a life with either her or Julie London.
N

1 Like

Bill Bruford’s Earthworks (1987)

Fine fusion album.

• Bill Bruford / drums, percussion, whirled instruments
  • Iain Ballamy / saxophones
  • Django Bates / keyboards, horn and trumpet
  • Mick Hutton / acoustic bass
4 Likes

@RexManning Akira Jimbo was the drummer with Japanese Jazz Fusion band Casiopea.

That’s right! I have a lot of his music. His and Tetsuo Sakurai’s.

1 Like

I feel I have to use PayPal once more :grin:

2 Likes

Paquito D’Rivera’s string of Columbia albums (his first in the United States after defecting from Cuba) are consistently enjoyable. This LP features D’Rivera (mostly on alto but also playing a bit of soprano) performing four originals, two obscurities and John Coltrane’s “Moment’s Notice.” The Afro-Cuban jazz set (which has some more commercial sections) features among Paquito’s sidemen trumpeter Randy Brecker, keyboardist Hilton Ruiz, drummer Ignacio Berroa and percussionist Daniel Ponce among others; Brenda Feliciano has a guest vocal on “New York Is You.”

ּBert,

I am reversing the letters: I tried and tried to like this album but always got tired of it and eventually I put it in cold storage. Perhaps it is because I have other albums of Peter Erskine with much more inspired playing.

Any by their guitarist Issei Noro? I have this on LP.

1 Like

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio—or as it is sometimes referred to, DLO3—specialize in the lost art of “feel good music.” The ingredients of this intoxicating cocktail include a big helping of the 1960s organ jazz stylings of Jimmy Smith and Baby Face Willette; a pinch of the snappy soul strut of Booker T. The M.G.’s and The Meters; and sprinkles Motown, Stax Records, blues, and cosmic Jimi Hendrix-style guitar. It’s a soul-jazz concoction that goes straight to your heart and head makes your body break out in a sweat.

The band features organist Delvon Lamarr, a self-taught virtuosic musician, with perfect pitch who taught himself jazz and has effortlessly been able to play a multitude of instruments. On guitar is the dynamo Jimmy James who eases through Steve Cropper-style chanking guitar, volcanic acid-rock freak-out lead playing, and slinky Grant Green style jazz. From Reno, Nevada is drummer Dan Weiss (also of the powerhouse soul and funk collective The Sextones). Dan’s smoldering pocket-groove drumming locks in the trio’s explosive chemistry.

Founded by Lamarr’s wife and manager Amy Novo, the trio started from humble beginnings in 2015, but since then has released two Billboard charting albums and toured the world to sold out venues. The trio returns now with their second studio album, I Told You So, with even heavier grooves and more confidence. It may have been several years since their most recent studio effort, but they haven’t missed a beat.

2 Likes

This sounds lovely and hits a vein of emotion tonight.

2 Likes

Will have to see where I can listen to that, thank you.

A great guitarist, I am more lured to the other members and their cooperative approach.

Of course, Sakurai and Jimbo together in Jimsaku:

Sakurai with the rhythm monster Dennis Chamber and Greg Howe in several projects, like Gentle Hearts/Vital World:

Akiro Jimbo I have most attention to, not in the least because of his Latin/World taste,

but also for his cooperations like this work with Brian Bromberg:

1 Like

Scofield also played at Monkeys Jazz Club in Brentwood. He had a free night when he was over here touring with Joe Lovano.

I really like it - like the other albums of Erskine, but style is personal, that’s why we have such fine choices in music

No big deal, it is just a disc. There are some who spend fortunes on a new Hi Fi toy and stop liking it the following week…

Agreed. I prefer the Alaska Sessions to the L.A. Sessions. These are the only 2 I have found.

Nice, really want to audition Klipsch Cornwall with supernait 3, at the moment driving a pair of Spendor sp2/3r and like it for Classical music, but other types from what I read Klipsch has that “live” sound. I really enjoy listening to my friend’s vintage JBL 4344, I’m guessing it’s a similar presentation, even in low volume is very enjoyable, the magic of big speakers!

1 Like

Evening session-

7 Likes

The lows on this album are thrilling, shaking and somewhat stirring