Jazz Music Thread

I started with Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme. Both are very accessible to any music lover. After that I think I started exploring Mahavishnu, but that was largely driven by my guitar playing at the time. From there it was probably Bitches Brew and many more Miles of exploration.

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis of course is a great record to start with as is Night Train by the Oscar Peterson Trio and Flight to Denmark by Duke Jordan.
Blue and Sentimental by Ike Quebec and the Soulful Moods of Gene Ammons by Gene Ammons are also great records to begin with these are all very melodic and less busy than a lot of Jazz as is Kenny Burrell - Midnight blue and Grant Green - Green Street.
Jazz is such a wide and varied genre and can go from sounding achingly beautiful to the sound of group of pre schoolers let loose in a room full of musical instruments.
When listening to Jazz that has a lot going on try picking just one instrument and listening to just that first.

jpeg

Another great Jazz record to cut your teeth on I have a Jasmine reissue and also an Impulse gatefold sleeved reissue from a few years back and both where reasonably priced and sound great.

9 Likes

popeye,

I would offer up these few suggestions…

Charles Lloyd & the Marvels - Vanish Gardens
Charles Lloyd & the Marvels - I long to See You
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Patricia Barber - Verse
Jakob Bro - Streams
Stefano Bollani - Joy In Spite of Everything
Elina Duni - Partir
Tord Gustavsen - What Was Said
Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
Andy Bey - Ain’t Necessarily So

A ton of variety in Jazz, that is why I love Tidal (or services like it) to sample different music. Each of the albums I did recommend I do own. Some of them were mentioned by other members on this forum in the “What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?” thread.

Good luck in your search and hope you find some artists you enjoy.

4 Likes

10 Likes

No rhythm? Try Coltrane Blue Train, Lee Morgan The Sidewinder, Sonny Clark Cool Struttin’, Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Moanin’… and many many other Blue Notes

:grinning:

And Brownswood Labels (Giles Peterson) We Out Here compilation is a great introduction to some of the fine young British Jazz talent around

4 Likes

Another vote for Jsaudio’s recommendation of Dave Brubecks Time Out. I love this record and always gets pulled from the rack when auditioning any new kit, great for pace, rhythm n timing.

1 Like
2 Likes

There is an in depth discussion of the OJC series over on Steve Hoffman where there seems to be a sizeable consensus that all the OJC’s are actually all analogue. Steve Hoffman himself insists that is in fact the case and claims to have seen evidence supporting AAA mastering.

1 Like

That wouldn’t surprise me as the dozen or so OJC reissues I have are all excellent.
The release page on Discogs for Coltrane’s Lush Life states the OJC reissue I own is digitally remastered from the original analogue tapes but of course this isn’t to say it was because none of the OJC releases I own have any information regarding remastering anywhere either on the sleeve or the record itself.

Chet Baker night tonight starting with

6 Likes

Next up is the duet LP with pianist Paul Bley on Danish Jazz label Steeplechase.

3 Likes

Live in Koln 1985

1 Like

Chet Baker Trio featuring Phillip Catherine & Jean Louis Rassinfosse
Live at Munster Jazz Festival Germany 1985
Enya Records

3 Likes

A lot of Chet’s output from this period is average and on a lot of recordings he is clearly the worse for wear shown mostly in his vocals (he’s playing never seemed to suffer much) but on some records he is just incredible it makes you wonder what he would have been capable of had he stayed sober.

1 Like

The later titles used the stampers from Analogue Productions re issues with the AP matrix number scratched out in the dead wax.
Confusion over whether digital or analogue re mastering seems also to come from apparently using the same notes from the CD re issues reproduced for the LP versions.
Many of my copied simply say “remastered by Phil De Lancie at Fantasy Studios” no mention of digital.
Whatever, I have a shed load of OJC’s cheap as chips and good SQ

New Binker Golding set for release from Gearbox Records

2 Likes

More Chet this evening - Broken Wing from 1978.
At this time Chet was known to take one off payments of as little as a couple of thousand pounds for the rights to his recordings, he needed a steady flow of cash to buy drugs and so his output was very proloific unfortunately though the quality of some of these pressings isn’t great but contained on them in amongst some mediocre recordings are some beautiful songs.

1 Like

Recorded a day later and mixed at the same studio but released on a totally different label
the aptly named Two a Day.

1 Like