Jazz Music Thread

Hope you both enjoy it

Managed to scrape tickets for rick wakeman in dec as well,

I’ll be the one surreptitiously sipping Special Brew out of a silver hip flask…

Fremer throws a wobble over Birth Of The Cool “sonic abortion” re issue

:joy:

“…and a larger striking shot of a young Miles holding his horn”.

45a456f9-c3e7-4b57-b720-cc78edcd50fe

Fantastic Analogue Productions Mono reissue remastsered at Cohearant by Kevin Grey.
Of course I’d love to own a Mono 1st press but at north of £200 for a VG+ copy this will have to do.

What a line up.

4 Likes

Recorded about the same time and using some of the same sidemen as Relaxin is John Coltrane’s - Lush Life. I can’t seem to tune my brain into anything he did after A Love Supreme but up to and including that both as a sideman and leader he was at times sensational.

Original Jazz Classics reissue from 2011and though digitally remastered from the analogue original tapes it does sound excellent and can still be had for less than £20 brand new. A bargain.

4 Likes

If you haven’t seen it already the excellent Lee Morgan biography is on Netflix.

7 Likes

My new system has been encouraging me to go back over my collection and tonight was a jazz night. Of all the albums I played this evening I had forgotten just how enjoyable this is:

41FK6NR2VDL

Cleo’s vocal range and characterisation still astonish and Dankworth’s arrangements work so well. The 1964 recording also stands up remarkably well. Oh, and the lyrics aren’t half bad!

Roger

2 Likes

Roland Kirk: I Talk With The Spirits.

I never thought that flute was a good instrument for jazz - this is the exception and one of his best records. As Roland says at the end ‘you’ve been aboard my ship - beautiful ship’.

2 Likes

Having a Gene Ammons evening
both Analogue Productions releases

2 Likes

More from Moodsville

This is a winner. From Gearbox. Pristine vinyl. AAA. Mono. Pardon the hype but it really is that good. Gearbox commentary below.

Line-up
Thelonious Monk - piano
Charlie Rouse - tenor saxophone
John Ore - double bass
Frankie Dunlop - drums

Track Listing
A1 Bye-Ya A2 Nutty B1 I’m Getting Sentimental Over You B2 Body and Soul B3 Monk’s Dream

Without a widely agreed must-have Monk release, could this fill the void as the Monk everyone should own? Recorded live in Copenhagen in 1963 at the peak of Monk’s career. A year later he was to feature on the cover of TIME magazine, one of only for 4 Jazz artists ever to do so. The performance, a mixture of Monk originals and interpretations of standards, showcases Monk at his prime: full of avant-garde flair and wit, but always with a swinging feel that explains his title as the ‘High Priest of Bebop’. The original tapes, saved from a skip and blessed with the approval of the Monk estate, have been faithfully restored, mastered and cut using Gearbox’s legendary all-analogue process.

Cut in-house with Gearbox’s 1967 Haeco Scully lathe, the exact same lathe set-up as Blue Note used back in the day.

7 Likes

I have Nitin Sawhney live at Ronnie Scotts on Gearbox Records and it’s an excellent pressing and sounds really nice for a live recording.

1 Like

Hi all

I listen to all genres of music and is dictated mainly by mood but the only genre i struggle to find any connection with is Jazz.
I find it all just to busy and never seems to have any rhythm, what am I missing?
Obviously its been going for years and appeals to many. Can anyone recommend any albums that would maybe help and draw an appeal.

Regards

popeye

Had similar sense of things regarding jazz about 6 years ago and now a big fan of most jazz but especially older 60s to 80s for now but horizons are ever expanding.
I might suggest starting with Dave Brubeck’s Time Out album, a true classic.
So many others like Thelonious Monk Brilliant Corners another “classic” IMO

I got the Nitin Sawhney at Ronnie Scott’s based on the recommendation here and it is a great recording. I am still warming up to it. I also recommend his appearance on Desert Island Discs.

We are going to a wedding in Bangalore in a few months and I intend to send them a copy of the CD.

Hi Skip,
Yes a great LP. I’ve been within a few hours of Bangalore travelling from Mysore to Mangalore on my way back up through Karnataka and unless you have been to India before you’re in for a huge culture shock (in a good way). Hope you have a wonderful trip we went to a friends wedding in Goa two years ago and though a catholic not Hindu wedding it was still a great experience be prepared to join in with the dancing they will not take no for an answer.

I sadly missed the shows that Nitin Sawhney played at Ronnie Scott’s, but I got the LP as some compensation, and luckily was able to make his concert not long afterwards at the Royal Albert Hall. My partner didn’t really know his music well, but reckons that RAH concert was one of the best she’s ever been to.

Popeye, Jsaudio’s recommendation of Brubeck’s Time Out is a very good one to start out. I would also recommend getting a few excellent compilations; Gilles Peterson’s Impressed and Impressed 2 are a superb way to sample some of the best of UK jazz, and the Martin Freeman and Eddie Pillar Jazz on the Corner compilation is also a great place to sample some groovy and soulful jazz favourites.

3 Likes

Not really Jazz but a Nittin Sawhney connection who produces and plays multiple instruments on this excellent record by Anoushka Shankar that also has three beautiful tracks featuring her sister Norah Jones.

jpeg

2 Likes

A superb album.