Jazz Music Thread

A very good album (listening on YouTube at the moment):

Ackassics Hard Bop-1 2 3

6 Likes

A classics :tumbler_glass: :wink:

Two of my favourites by Art Blakey.

1 Like

Still my favourite Bill Evans …playing now…

7 Likes

Alan Broadbent’s solo piano Maybeck Recital Hall series album is not available on Qobuz but have ordered the CD from Discogs. This was my first acquaintance…

s-l500

AllMusic Review by Stacia Proefrock [-]

Charlie Haden’s Quartet West launched the ensemble that would become his most popular grouping throughout the '80s and '90s. Haden, who had made a name for himself as an avant-garde bassist in Ornette Coleman’s band and elsewhere, including the influential Liberation Music Orchestra, returned to a bop-influenced, more mainstream sound with this grouping. While the album may not be stretching many boundaries stylistically, this format does little to dilute Haden’s impressive performances, and his love for this material is made obvious with his intricate arrangements, especially on the two Ornette Coleman tunes, “The Good Life” and “The Blessing.” (“The Blessing” appears as one of two bonus tracks on the CD version, with the other being Billy Strayhorn’s “Passion Flower.”) “The Good Life,” in particular, is infused with energy, and is a showcase for some nimble, joyous, effortless playing by pianist Alan Broadbent. Haden has three originals here, the strongest of which, “In the Moment,” shows off some of the rhythmic complexity that he has displayed in his previous work. Perhaps the true highlight of the album, though, is a version of Charlie Parker’s “Passport” that brings together the whole band in one exuberant expression of energy.

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Thanks so much for posting this. I never took a listen to this album because I thought it was indeed an odd pairing but you are completely right; it’s beautifull! The Piano is in a bad condition but the music makes up for it!

5 Likes

Here is another odd pairing that turned out gorgeously; Jakob Bro / Bill Frisell / Lee Konitz / Thomas Morgan

https://www.ecmrecords.com/artists/1435047311/jakob-bro

2 Likes

I do not find anything odd at all. The trilogy ‘Ballardeering,’ Time’ and ‘December Song’ are fantastic albums. The drummer Paul Motian passed away shortly before ‘Time’ was going to be recorded and they did not replace him and went with the quartet. For ‘December Song’ the pianist Craig Taborn was added. Love all of Jakob’s work…

Believe it or not, a very good jazz track:

2 Likes

Hi @Peet just listened the Jakob Bro album you recommended. Nice, very nice. Thanks for sharing!
Iver

1 Like

my pleasure.

Don’t get me wrong I love the album, but Lee himself seems to have found it very strange music initially.
This podcast goes into great detail about the making of the album. Very interesting listening;

5 Likes

Thank you @Peet for the link, I really enjoyed the interview and saved it to give it another listen. I had read an article in the past about Jakob’s time in New York City and his playing at the Village Vanguard with Paul and other great musicians. I will need to explore other interviews on the ‘Pablo Held’ web site…

1 Like

Double LP set from the 70s with Oliver Nelson Impulse material.

1 Like

1 Like

Very enjoyable. Recommended.

1 Like

It pairs well with a glass of red.

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

39: John Coltrane: My Favourite Things (Atlantic)
Coltrane showcased his prowess on the relatively obscure and under-exposed soprano
saxophone on this, his third album for Atlantic Records, recorded in March 1961 and
released later that year. The title song recast a key number from Rodgers and
Hammerstein’s popular Broadway musical The Sound Of Music and transformed it into a
13-minute modal jazz waltz with Eastern overtones. Three other standards made up the
rest of the album, including a swinging uptempo take on George Gershwin’s
‘Summertime’ and a poignant reading of ‘Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye’. The growth of
Coltrane’s popularity in the early 60s was undoubtedly aided by Atlantic releasing a
shorter version of ‘My Favourite Things’ as a single to promote the album.

Key song: ‘My Favourite Things’

Enjoy

Dave

9 Likes