Jazz Music Thread

Yes it maybe very technical now and then and can sometimes be completely like listening to a foreign language when he goes deep into harmony and such, but on the other and it is so interesting to hear top level musicians have a real conversation.

Ron McClure is a great bassist.

This is a perennial album that I never tire of.

The changes of pace of the music, their relaxed enjoyment of the tunes, and the confidence of the players puts the listener in a good mood.

The album reaches a peak of achievement with the track Blues in the Closet.

And finishes on a high with Take the A Train.

2 Likes

John Goldsby — Double Bass
Billy Test — Piano
Hans Dekker — Drums

4 Likes

The Alan Broadbent Maybeck Recital Hall series CD arrived this morning.

AllMusic Review by Richard S. Ginell

When Alan Broadbent was given a chance to shine in this solo setting in the Berkeley hills, he kept things relatively spare and to the point, unlike most of the finger-busting pianists in the Maybeck series. But flashier is not necessarily better, and Broadbent gets a lot more music out of fewer notes in these 13 selections. Among them are three originals, the longest of which, “Woody ‘N’ I” (no doubt a memorial to his late employer, Woody Herman), climaxes in mighty waves closer in idiom to Rachmaninoff than jazz per se. Broadbent is especially adept at getting some great solo breaks with walking bass going, particularly on “Strollin’,” “Sweet and Lovely,” and “Upper Manhattan Medical Group.” Elsewhere, “I Hear a Rhapsody” contains echoes of “Along Came Betty,” “Oleo” relies on some unison octave work, “Lennie’s Pennies” has deliciously twisting right-hand bop lines, Horace Silver’s “Strollin’” harkens back somewhat to an earlier locked-hands era, and yes, “Parisian Thoroughfare” finally turns on the technique in a torrent.

Dave

PS For those not familiar, if you like solo piano the Live at Maybeck series is well worth checking out.

3 Likes

I have several Maybecks.
My favourite is by Jazz Wonder Woman UK.

An artist worth investigating and there are ,of course,countless NPR interviews with pianists.
N

4 Likes

Another great Marian McPartland album…

AllMusic Review by Paula Edelstein [-]

The great American composer, Duke Ellington, is honored by the first lady of jazz piano, Marian McPartland, with The Single Petal of a Rose: The Essence of Duke Ellington. Recorded live at Maybeck Studio for the Performing Arts, this great program of solo and duet compositions features McPartland opening her spontaneous program with a vivid account of “Take the A Train.” She follows it with a swinging performance of “Just Squeeze Me.” Joined by Bill Douglas on acoustic bass, the duo’s rapport is very fresh despite having collaborated for 15 years. Douglas’ solos also make the musical concepts more interesting and keep the duo in good shape with creative reharmonizations. All songs were composed by Duke Ellington, except for McPartland’s own “Cerulescence,” a serene solo piano tribute to Duke and the opening track, which was composed by Billy Strayhorn. “Take the Coltrane,” composed for Ellington’s duo album with saxophonist John Coltrane, and her lovely rendition of “Single Petal of a Rose” are but two of the obscure but marvelous Ellington treasures portrayed in a new setting. McPartland concludes her program with a slow, sensitive, insightful rendition of “C Jam Blues” in what must be one of the most masterful arrangements of this great classic. The Single Petal of a Rose: The Essence of Duke Ellington is sure to become one of Marian McPartland’s most remarkable accomplishments.

Dave

2 Likes

There is two volumes of this, both nice.

1 Like

Three😉

1 Like

Tuba Skinny.
I hear they made this weekend’s Jazz Record Requests.
I know ‘traditional style’music has no traction on this thread but it is great that youngsters want to carry on trying to recreate the music that gave us all what we enjoy today.
N

1 Like

Hzy @bpou, I tried the Massimo Farao album. What a nice surprise !! Love it !!
thanks for recommending
Iver

1 Like

2 Likes

I’ve just pre ordered these and wondered did anyone try any of the previous titles on the Classic series

3 Likes

Got a four CD Horace Silver collection on Amazon for £11, wonderful bargain.

Tim

2 Likes

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond

McLean (as)
Grachan Moncur III (tb)
Bobby Hutcherson (vb)
Eddie Kahn (b)
Tony Williams (d)

Currently the CD or LP are unavailable for anything other than silly prices. However, a Hi-Res version may be downloaded in the Qobuz sale for just £3.49. Tremendous album.

5 Likes

Hey @narcom thanks for posting the Sentiment album by John Goldsby Trio … this is exactly my taste of Jazz (never understood how this is cold … Contemporary ??) … very well recorded by the way
MerryChristmas
Iver

1 Like

Glad you like it! Merry Christmas
Andreas

1 Like

Just listening right now. Excellent. Merry Christmas!

1 Like
3 Likes

Best jazz album of 2020? Top 3 for sure…

4 Likes