Jazz Music Thread

20210111_151730
“a set of high-quality explorations of eight bop standards” “Jones is sensitive on the ballads and lightly but firmly swinging on the more uptempo material. Typically tasteful performances come from one of the greats”.(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bop_Redux#cite_note-Allmusic-4)
Expanded to 15 tracks on Tidal
:heart:

3 Likes

I have downloaded it some weeks ago
:+1:

1 Like

I have only one of Hank Jones

1 Like

Tidal Master
Line up includes Hank Jones

Concert Of The Century A Tribute To Charlie Parker

Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Brown, Hank Jones, Milt Jackson, Philly Joe Jones, James Moody

20210111_153854

1 Like

My favourite 60’s jazz albums :

image image image

3 Likes

We can’t have too much Hank Jones…

81cHzqvb3OL.SS500

AllMusic Review by Richard S. Ginell

For Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 16, Concord persuaded a reigning giant of the piano to record at Maybeck’s Yamaha keyboard – and the result is one of the most musical, and certainly one of the most enjoyable, concerts in the whole series. Recorded closely enough so that you can hear him grunting along with the music, Hank Jones gives full vent to his melodic gifts in a brace of pop and jazz standards from several decades, never staying on any of them for more than five minutes, and rarely falling back on the usual pianistic bop patterns. Starting out with very attractive stride work on “I’ll Guess I Have to Change My Plan” and “It’s the Talk of the Town,” he always chooses his notes with care while rarely losing touch with the pulse of jazz, which is all too tempting in a solo format. Among the more touching moments are the treatments of “I Cover the Waterfront” and “Memories of You”; “Blue Monk” and Joe Bushkin’s “Oh, Look at Me Now” have the most wit.

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

Old jazz meets modern jazz

With Melba Liston, Pharoah Sanders and of course Randy Weston

2 Likes

That looks really interesting and it’s on Tidal, thanks

Another I would like to hear but cant find on Tidal
R-6621207-1423261108-8062.jpeg

1 Like

I got this Randy Weston, originally on Atlantic but mine is the excellent Pure Pleasure vinyl re issue
R-11706875-1520990520-5755.jpeg

I was wondering if you might chip in, nice one, cheers Dave

Havent heard that particular Horace Silver. Not particularly keen on that Byrd album. Maiden Voyage, well what can be said that hasn’t already

Plenty more…

Hank Jones - Dave Holland - Billy Higgins. What’s not too like…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

One could excuse Hank Jones if, at the time of The Oracle, the 70-year-old pianist chose to stick to revivalist bop, but the biggest surprise of this very democratic date is how modern he plays. Jones is Monkish on “Blues for CM” and often sounds more like a contemporary of McCoy Tyner than of Bud Powell, whom Hank was actually born six years before. Bassist Dave Holland has nearly as much solo space as Jones (along with contributing three compositions), and drummer Billy Higgins gets more space than usual. If there is any fault to this otherwise flawless CD (which also has some underplayed standards such as “Beautiful Love” and “Yesterdays”), it is that there are no individual features. But the interplay between the three musicians is quite impressive.

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

Damn! I’ve been searching for that! Another that’s criminally missing…

1 Like

Found it, cheers!

This Horace Silver is jazz with soul music and funky touch. Delightful ! And very « futuristic « for its time.

1 Like

I have the CD. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

Didn’t know it was on vinyl. How the sound!

Very good. I had it before.