Jazz Music Thread

Mostly Vinyl and some CD’s here, otherwise for now Tidal, I’m finding most stuff with the occasional drawing a blank, like The Oracle and the Hank Jones with Abbey Lincoln

As with all Pure Pleasure records, excellent

1 Like

Neither albums are on Qobuz - my streaming service of choice. :grinning:

Dave

Will have to do some digging

Speaking of Pure Pleasure records I bought a load of albums in their half price sale a while back.
3 titles I’m enjoying that are appropriate to this thread…

1 Like

On a bit of a Hank Jones theme today, inspired by narcoms post earlier.
My favourite piano Jazz though just has to be the Bill Evan’s trio Riverside recordings with bassist Scott LeFaro who tragically died in his mid twenties.
220px-Bill_Evans_Trio_-_Waltz_for_Debby 220px-Sunday_at_the_Village_Vanguard Bill_Evans_Trio_Portraits_in_Jazz Bill_Evans_Trio_Explorations
:heart:
Last from me today, I think I’m seriously hogging this thread, laters…

7 Likes

For the serious collector there’s also the 1960 Birdland Sessions with the same trio. The SQ is not great, but it’s available at bargain price.

Plus, of course, the complete set at the VV. Although that doesn’t contain much more fresh material than the two originally released albums (with their bonus material) it’s great to hear it in the original sequencing across the sets.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

RIP Howard Johnson

Arrival: A Pharoah Sanders Tribute is a terrific record.

1 Like

That’s a massive question, not a little one! Good listening.

1 Like

This is an album that I’ve come close to wearing out over the last 9 months. Great memories of the Jazzamatazz big top at the 1993 Phoenix festival where all on this album played live along with a few notable others like Cypress Hill…

4 Likes

Lovely coincidence Holmes, I was thinking of that album yesterday, I have the original LP and Vol2.
I was wondering if it’s been reissued, the track No Time To Play with DC Lee & Ronnie Jordan was getting a lot of play on Lauren Laverne 6Music show recently.
I dont like much Hip Hop generally but this is one fusion of Hip Hop & Jazz I really like and stands in my view as a modern classic.
GURU (Gifted, unlimited, rhymes, universal) featuring quite a roll call;
Carleen Anderson, Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd,N,Dea Davenport,Ronny Jordan,Courtney Pine,Lonnie Liston Smith, MC Solaar, Gary Barnacle, Zachary Breaux, DC Lee, Simon Law

Great shout Holmes

AllMusic Review by Marisa Brown

Though it can reasonably be argued that rap grew almost directly out of funk and its particular beat, there are a lot of overlaps with jazz, particularly the bop and post-bop eras: the uninhibited expression, the depiction of urban life, just to name two. Jazz samples have also had a large role in hip-hop, but the idea of rapping over actual live jazz wasn’t truly fully realized until Gang Starr MC Guru created and released the first in his Jazzmatazz series in 1993, with guest musicians who included saxophonist Branford Marsalis (who had previously collaborated with DJ Premier and Guru for the track “Jazz Thing” on the Mo’ Better Blues soundtrack), trumpeter Donald Byrd, vibraphonist Roy Ayers, guitarist Ronny Jordan, and keyboardist Lonnie Liston Smith, as well as vocalist N’Dea Davenport (also of the acid jazz group the Brand New Heavies) and French rapper MC Solaar. While Guru’s rhymes can occasionally be a little weak (“Think they won’t harm you? Well they might/And that ain’t right, but every day is like a fight” are the lines he chooses to describe kids on the subway in Brooklyn in “Transit Ride”), he delves into a variety of subject matter, from the problems of inner-city life to his own verbal prowess to self-improvement without ever sounding too repetitive, and his well-practiced flow fits well with the overall smooth, sultry, and intelligent feel of the album. From Jordan’s solo on “No Time to Play” to Ayers’ vibes expertise on “Take a Look (At Yourself)” to MC Solaar’s quick and syllabic rhymes on “Le Bien, le Mal,” Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1 (and what turned out to be the best of the series) is a rap album for jazz fans and a jazz album for rap fans, skillful and smart, clean when it needs to be and gritty when that’s more effective, helping to legitimize hip-hop to those who doubted it, and making for an altogether important release.

1 Like

I havent heard it yet but looks interesting from the usually reliable Soul Jazz label.
All formats including triple LP

Soul Jazz Records’ new album ‘Kaleidoscope – New Spirits Known and Unknown’ brings together many of the ground-breaking artists involved in the new jazz scene that has developed in the UK over the last few years. Featured artists include Matthew Halsall, Yazmin Lacey, Ill Considered, Tenderlonious, Theon Cross, Emma-Jean Thackray and many, many more in this ground-breaking release.

As well as sharing a pioneering spirit in these new artists’ approach to frontier-crossing musical boundaries, a further theme of this album is that many also share a determination to independent practices - and most of these artists’ recordings featured here are either self-published or released on independent labels. While the attention of this new wave of jazz artists has up until now has been London-based, this album shows how this movement is spread across the whole of Britain (and indeed beyond).

‘Kaleidoscope – New Spirits Known and Unknown’ shows that while there is commonality in these artists approach to music, there is a wide variety of styles – from deep spiritual jazz, electronic experimentalisation, punk-edged funk, uplifting modal righteousness, deep soulful vocals and much more.

Cheers Richard, RIP Howard Johnson.

How about a bit of Tuba player Theon Cross. Marvelous racket!

Tuba in the House
From New Orleans brass bands to New York avant-gardists, jazz’s original low-end leader is taking an exciting new part in today’s music
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jazztimes.com/features/profiles/tuba-in-the-house/%3Famp

2 Likes

John Surman plays sax (and clarinet) on this wonderful album:

4 Likes

My first grad job was on Baker Street in London.

Every time I came out of Baker Street tube each morning and walked down the wide street in my suit and tie with my hard briefcase in hand (and often also a hangover), I had a sense of mild resentment that I had to work all day, and also a horrid memory of the sax riff on the track Baker Street by Jerry Rafferty…

1 Like

Advice please if I may…

I would like to get DBQ Take Five on vinyl. What would be the best release/pressing to aim for?

I would also be looking to get if possible Live At Carnegie Hall.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I remember back in the day, radio dj Steve Wright put out a story many people fell for that the Sax soloist on Baker St was the children’s quiz show presenter Bob Holness :joy:

2 Likes

Classic Records re issue of Time Out
Pure Pleaures Records Carnegie Hall is good
I have both