Jazz Music Thread

I like the “ if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem “
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks, Dave. I don’t have that one - something to be rectified.

Aha! Found it on Qobuz.

2 Likes

I am never tired to listen to it, from time to time, and at high levels on my turntable.

6 Likes

Jan Ackerman solo is fantastic. And the album too.

Not on Qobuz so ordered CD from Discogs.

Thanks for the recommend.

Dave

PS It’s a Martin Taylor afternoon now. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Following Dave’s recommendation, now playing on Qobuz. I’m not a bit fan of violin jazz, but the guitar playing here is truly exceptional. Taylor and Etheridge, but who’s playing which guitar? Super album so far.

3 Likes

Its what initially made the LP catch my eye sitting in the racks back in the day.
Its reportedly a slight misquoting of Eldridge Cleaver of the Black Panthers, the full quote being;
‘There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you’re going to be part of the problem.’
:heart:

1 Like

Me too, with an intermission to play the vinyl pressing of Christian McBride For Jimmy Wes And Oliver that arrived this morning
:+1:

1 Like

And Tidal here
Cheers

Some gypsy jazz with a modern twist (and no violin)…

AllMusic Review by Matt Collar [-]

The Hot Club of Detroit’s fourth studio-album, 2012’s Junction, builds upon the group’s longstanding knack for mixing exploratory post-bop, soulful contemporary jazz, and French chanson into its foundation of swinging Django Reinhardt-style Gypsy jazz. Once again showcasing the talents of guitarists Evan Perri and Paul Brady, as well as accordionist Julien Labro, the album also introduces the new line-up of saxophonist Jon Irabagon, vocalist Cyrille Aimee, bassist Shawn Conley, and guest saxophonist Andrew Bishop. There is a more expansive, somewhat ruminative post-rock vibe on a few of the songs here, suggesting that the internal changes in the band’s lineup led them down heretofore unexplored creative avenues. Irabagon brings several compositions to the table, including the lead-off soul-jazz meets Gypsy-swing number “Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.” Also interesting is Labro’s “Chutzpah,” which deftly mixes moments of avant-garde saxophone skronk and free jazz with sections of melodic swing. French-born Aimee, who took third place in the 2010 Thelonious Monk International Jazz Vocals Competition, brings a sound that encompasses both the throaty, intimate style of the French cabaret tradition and the virtuoso chops of Ella Fitzgerald on such numbers as the breezy “La Foule,” the torchy ballad “Django Mort,” and an inspired reworking of Ornette Coleman’s “Lonely Woman.” Elsewhere, Irabagon and Ann Arbor native Bishop dive into an amiable sparring session on “Hey!” and the band sticks to its frenetic instrumental sound on the Carl Stalling-esque “Puck Bunny.” These are sophisticated recordings that make the most of the band’s varied musical abilities, resulting in an album brimming with cross-pollinated musical sounds and textures.

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

After Spirit Of Django…
The man himself 1928 - 1950 Tidal Master
20210113_173042

1 Like

Sorry for poor photo

Not sure of the provenance (Monk label?) of these facimiles but very enjoyable 1936 to 1940 Paris recordings 3 volumes.

2 Likes

Don Rendell

Bandcamp - coming out in April LP, Download - limited numbers, may be of interest to some ?!

2 Likes

Deffo! The Jazzman Landsowne re issue LP’s are excellent too

2 Likes

Definitely. Jazz In Britain offer a T-shirt with the cover art too.

Updated to say that there are only 90 odd of the 500 LPs left for pre-order with April issue. This thing is flying off the shelves !

As I am not very well versed in Jazz, I have been following this thread to check out some music I maybe interested in, then I came across this video on the ‘circle of fifths’ and Coltranes ‘Giant Steps’ composition.

Most of you guys probably already know this, but I found it very intriguing having not studied music myself.

1 Like

She is lovely. A great album.

2 Likes

Some sane music on a mad mad mad day…

7 Likes

Aaaahhhhhh…

10 Likes

With a bang, not a whimper…

3 Likes