Jazz Music Thread

It’s about that time…

You’re right, in the 1990s he recorded in LINN .

1 Like

I posted earlier my favourite Bill Evan’s albums, unquestionably the Riverside Trio Sessions with Scott LeFaro.
This is another close favourite that doesnt feature Scott LeFaro.
Instead Chuck Israel’s Bass with Larry Bunker on Drums. Recorded 1963 (my birth year, shushhhh!)

AllMusic Review by Daniel Gioffre

Although the Scott LaFaro-Paul Motian lineup of the Bill Evans Trio is generally considered to be the strongest, Chuck Israels and Larry Bunker make a strong case of their own on At Shelly’s Manne-Hole, a 1964 release that finds the entire band in classic form. This particular trio may lack some of the sheer combustive force of the better-known lineup, but it is, if possible, even more sensitive, melancholic, and nostalgic than the previous band. The leadoff track, “Isn’t It Romantic,” is one of Evans’ finest moments, with the gently swinging theme leading into a strong, if restrained, solo from Israels. Over Bunker’s sensitive brush work, Evans comments briefly and beautifully on the theme before returning to the head. The band’s readings of such classics as “'Round Midnight,” “Stella By Starlight,” and “All the Things You Are” are wonderful, but it is the lesser-known tracks, such as “Swedish Pastry” and the aforementioned “Isn’t It Romantic,” that makes this recording so valuable. Jazz is rarely as sensitive or as melodic as this. Another classic from Bill Evans and company.
:heart:

3 Likes

Hi Dreadattcontrols,
You seem to like all the genres in the jazz world, from the 40’s to 2021. You are lucky, because you can’t say to yourself: I can’t find something new to discover this week.
Unfortunately it’s not my case.
Enjoy :+1::chicken:

1 Like

To me it’s all music, I dont discriminate
:+1:

1 Like

Yes, as classical, techno, reggae, electronica, opera…and so on.
But then there is music which resonates in your body and spirit and heart, and the rest.
You can put me Fats Weller or Django Reinhardt…unfortunately it will never shake my soul, be it 8am, 11pm, autumn or summer.
But as I said, you are lucky.

I thought I had almost obtained a degree in Monkolgy but this one had escaped me.
Perhaps it doesn’t sound too wonderful but it’s history in it. The old boy sounds in an interested state of mind.image
On Qobuz. Found from Jazzrook’s reviews on Amazon.
N

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Bought recently that one, in Mint condition, in lp from Discogs. Not cheap. My favourite Idris Muhammad album.

2 Likes
1 Like

5 Likes

I discovered her on Bandcamp. Finn Silver. Inspired voice.

Nice big band sound but melodic.

Return To Forever: The Mothership Returns (180g) (Limited Numbered Edition)

Unfortunately, I can’t hear them because my LP12 is on the jig right now and the new tonearm cable hasn’t arrived yet.

2 Likes

Bossa Nova moods-

5 Likes

1 Like

AllMusic Review by Richard S. Ginell

Mostly recorded in Paris, with two additional tracks from New York, this absorbing collection is a testament to the continuing ability of Ahmad Jamal to startle and engage jazz listeners who are tired of Tyner/Evans clones and want to hear something different. An equal mixture of standards and Jamalcompositions, some of which move through several contrasting sections, this CD reaches its peaks when Jamal and company dive in and work around a single bass ostinato and a propulsive rhythm groove. Bassists James Cammack (Paris) and Jamil Nasser (New York) provide the former, drummer Idris Muhammad and percussionist Manolo Badrena are in charge of the latter, and a tough-sounding George Coleman turns up on tenor on the New York tracks. One fascinating quirk – Jamal seemed fixated upon Oliver Nelson’s “Stolen Moments” at these sessions, for he quotes the tune several times on the album. These sessions were so fruitful that Verve was able to serve up a tasty second helping a year later.

My favourite album of him.

2 Likes

Yokai. On Bandcamp.