Jazz Music Thread

I bought recently the MOFI 45 rpm. One of my most favourite albums. Bought Wired 45 rpm too.

1 Like

It was my tongue in cheek response to the review.

1 Like

More Ernie Ranglin
Features the great Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen and Courtney Pine and Denys Baptiste along with lesser known (to me) but no less capable artists, with the vocals of the lovely Sylvia Tella
On Telarc Jazz
R-988219-1570734878-9381.jpeg

:heart:

Agree for all. The list is long…

1 Like

20210119_161658

There’s a great trumpeter over in England: a guy who’s got soul and originality and, above all, who’s not afraid to blow with fire.” So said none other than Miles Davis about Jamaican trumpeter Dizzy Reece. Also trained at the Alpha Boys School, Reece left JA for England at 16 and after making a name for himself in London and Paris, was invited to record an album, called Blues in Trinity, for Blue Note. By 1958, Reece had generated enough hype to prompt a move to the capital of jazz—New York. There Reece recorded a second album for Blue Note at Rudy Van Gelder’s legendary New Jersey studios, featuring all-star personnel Hank Mobley, Wynton Kelly (a Jamaican by way of Brooklyn), Paul Chambers, and Art Taylor (Jamaican by way of Harlem). Though Star Bright didn’t bring him jazz celebrity, he continued to record with some of the era’s biggest names, including Bobby Timmons, Dexter Gordon, and Ron Carter.

Now considered one of his era’s great unsung talents, Reece still resides and performs in New York.

1 Like

20210119_174046 20210119_170844 20210119_174046 20210119_174400 20210119_174338

Joe Harriott, born in Kingston in 1928, began studying alto saxophone alongside Wilton Gaynair and Harold McNair at the city’s Alpha Boys School. Decamping to London in 1951, he became a popular sideman thanks to his Parker-esque flair for bebop, appearing with artists like George Chisholm and the Modern Jazz Quartet. His most seminal work, though, came with the creation of his own quintet in 1958, featuring fellow Jamaicans Shake Keane on trumpet and Coleridge Goode on bass. Through Harriott’s compositions, the quintet began experimenting with free jazz at the same moment musicians stateside were as well. Their first foray into “the New Thing” came with 1960’s Free Form, released just one year after Ornette Coleman’s seminal The Shape of Jazz to Come.

Unlike Coleman, Harriott incorporated calypso into his interpretation of the avant-garde, creating a distinctive sound that earned Abstract, his second free jazz outing, England’s first five-star review from jazz bible Downbeat. The quintet performed and recorded together until Keane’s move to Germany in 1965. Harriott continued to pursue a more “out” sound, including notable fusion projects with East Indian musicians John Mayer (no, not that John Mayer) and Amancio D’Silva. Though somewhat overlooked during his lifetime, Harriott’s contributions to jazz’s avant-garde (and a recently published biography) have prompted the re-release of many of his classic recordings

2 Likes

Excellent article, well worth a read

Black British Swing: Caribbean Contribution to British Jazz in the 1930s and 1940s - Black History Month 2020

20210119_182902

Personally, I prefer a she with dirty feet than a he. But that’s just me.

Just listened to Pangaea, one of my favourite albums, hearing parts of it I’ve never noticed before.

Fast, fantastic trumpet, guitar and percussion from the start.

Breaking boundaries between categories of music.

30 mins in to the track Gondwana the band creates a hypnotic blues riff, mixed with Pink Panther-ish and funky undertones to finish.

1 Like

Yeah a super group, was just watching these guys on YouTube.

1 Like

Something to remember.

2 Likes

I shall describe this joyous album as a bit old fashioned but with a touch of more contemporary jazz spicing.

So just up my street.

I watched a video of WG on you tube from the Lincoln Jazz centre.
He played trumpet,just the mouthpiece,valve and slide trombones then sang us a song.
Plenty to hear on Qobuz.
N

2 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

Whatever floats yer boat! :grin:

Can I offer up two Jamaican gentlemen.
Andy Hamilton and Wilton Bogey Gaynair.
Both well thought of tenor players resident in UK/GB whatever.You tube is the friend of those who want to investigate.
N

The jazz crap stored away in my brain seems never ending. If only it was of some use.:exploding_head:
N

1 Like

Ralph Mcdonnald. Has Trinidad origins. Great percussionist that worked with a lot, like Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis.

PS: to follow the Jamaican / Caribbean thread.

Cheers Nick, Wilton Bogey Gaynair is in the Top 10 list I posted. I forgot about Andy Hamilton, I knew there was a more recent player but racking my brains the name was eluding me. So thanks for mentioning him!
:+1:

Theres already a thread dedicated to Jamaican music - The Reggae Thread - I started it
:+1:

He is a jazzman. I just added him to others posted above. Thanks for the reggae advice, but unfortunately I don’t listen to that genre. Apart maybe some exceptions as Ernest Ranglin or Monty Alexander.