Jazz Music Thread

This Friday night…

:grin:

6 Likes

Actually it is recorded in 1957 and 58. It was, as it says on wikipedia;

Lush Life is an album credited to jazz musician John Coltrane, released in 1961 on Prestige Records, catalogue 7188. It is assembled from unissued results of three separate recording sessions at Van Gelder Studio in Hackensack, New Jersey in 1957 and 1958. As Coltrane’s fame grew during the 1960s long after he had stopped recording for the label, Prestige used unissued recordings to create new marketable albums without Coltrane’s input or approval.

The last albums before he went ‘‘interstellar’’ ( I do like the expression :grinning: )
were in my opinion Crescent (1964) and A Love Supreme (1965).
Ascension (1966) is where it started to get a bit too much for me.

2 Likes

Ziv Ravitz - No Man Is An Island

Ziv Ravitz (drums), Itamar Borochov (trumpet) and Nitzan Bar (guitar).

I ordered this CD after having recently seen Ziv play with Avishai Cohen at the Earshot Jazz Festival. Ziv is a fantastic drummer and this is one sweet trio. I have listened to this album a few times now and I love the cohesive interplay between these three musicians. The drums, trumpet and guitar work extremely well together and reminds me of the ‘Lebroba’ album with Andrew Cyrille (drums), Waded Leo Smith (trumpet) and Bill Frisell (guitar). Worth a listen if you have the time, it is available on Tidal.

3 Likes

I like most of what Coltrane did, including much of his avant-garde output, but agree that Ascension is an aural challenge.

1 Like

This is excellent!

7 Likes

@carruthersesq …if you love Vanished Gardens then give this a listen.

Charles Lloyd & the Marvels - I Long to See You

Charles Lloyd (tenor saxophone, flute), Bill Frisell (guitar), Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar), Reuben Rogers (bass), Eric Harland (drums), Willie Nelson (voice) and Norah Jones (voice).

7 Likes

Listened and ordered! :smiley:

1 Like

Just finished listening to this Tone Poet reissue again sonically very good some beautiful restrained playing from Lee Morgan on Ceora and also the cover of ILL Wind.

6 Likes

I’m really enjoying that on LP, I paid through the nose to get the US pressing/mastering done at RTI bit worth it.

1 Like

Having collected all the Music Matters 33rpm editions, it’s great that the Tone Poet series is continuing in the same vein. AAA mastering by Kevin Gray, Gatefold Tip On Sleeve and pressing at RTI.
The best thing apart from the terrific music is that the Tone Poets are widely available and less pricey.
It’s getting costly to try and keep up with the Tone Poet series and the also excellent BN80 series which are also AAA by Kevin Gray but to keep cost down to a very reasonable £20ish have a cheaper sleeve and pressing at Optimal.

Enjoying this on LP, excellent sound and pressing as usual from Gearbox Records

1 Like

A saxophone acquaintance of mine told me to keep trying so every so often through
the last 20 years I give it a go but so far with no positive results :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s the same for me over probably a similar time period. I just had a look at what the Penguin guide has to say about it (they gave it four stars and a crown!). The guide opens: “There is nothing else like Ascension in Coltrane’s work; indeed there is nothing quite like Ascension in the history of jazz”.

At first I thought yeah, absolutely. Then I remembered Ornette’s Free Jazz - I’ve had similar struggles with that one!

Anyway, I’m going to put Ascension on again this afternoon and try and get to the end.

1 Like

Still up on the BBC Iplayer

2 Likes

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of my probably favorite, for sure my most played album. John McLaughlin, Trilok Gurtu and Kai Eckhart. Fantastic album, both from a performance and recording perspective. I’ve used this as my main test disc when reviewing or auditioning new gear.

9 Likes

‘Live at Birdland’ I would add to ‘Crescent’ and ‘A Love Supreme’.

G

3 Likes

yes you are right. How could I have left that one out?! Thanks!

1 Like

Keep us informed if you succeed.:slightly_smiling_face:

I got to the end of both versions. Version two was more melodic and, therefore, more accessible. Coltrane actually wanted the second version, but the record company initially released the first. You could try listening to v2 first - that might be easier.