Jazz Music Thread

Thanks for the heads-up! Pre-ordered on Blue Note for the March 12th release…

Album by Leo Sidran, the music of Michael Franks.

1 Like

Thanks!

I really enjoy his later work, didnt know this one.

1 Like

As these:

3 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

22: Duke Ellington: Ellington At Newport (Columbia)
Some deemed Duke Ellington to be well past his sell by date when he appeared at the
Newport Jazz Festival alongside many of the jazz world’s modernists in 1956. With an
incendiary and inspiring performance that wowed the Newport audience, however,
Ellington and his band demonstrated that they could still deliver the goods while
asserting that big bands still had a place in jazz. His set included both old and new
material; the latter included the specially-written ‘Festival Junction’ and ‘Newport Up’,
though it was an old chestnut, ‘Diminuendo And Crescendo In Blue’, written in 1937, that
stole the show. It’s notable for a phenomenal solo by saxophonist Paul Gonsalves, who
blew 27 choruses and whipped the crowd into a frenzy. The original album only
contained five tracks, but it was expanded to a two-hour-long CD release in 2009.

Key song: ‘Diminuendo And Crescendo In Blue’

Enjoy

Dave

13 Likes

Some never lost heart Dave. We were always there.
The record has an interesting history. Much is not what it seems and had to be re-recorded because it was poorly miked at the concert.
I understand Paul’s solo is the original.
N

3 Likes

Yes when I revisited the album recently I discovered the orginal vinyl wasn’t quite what we were lead to believe when it was orginally released.

The expanded album includes the original recordings.

Dave

2 Likes

This is a quite varied album, my 1st recommendation of the year

5 Likes

Quick jazz quiz.

Name the musicians on this superb rendering of Blues in the Closet from 1959.

1 Like

Great new track released by Glasper, Hodge et al.

1 Like

I have one track from that album, “ Resting warrior “. Not bad.

Ah FR - the track Resting Warrior is from a 2018 album by the same band.

I like the track Change of Tone on that album.

R+R = Now Live is I think a forthcoming album.

1 Like

Thanks, I just checked. I haven’t seen your Glasper album. Apparently it will be out here the February 12. The only track is very good.
From memory I was thinking of the R+R…Now, you have just posted above.

1 Like

Listening now to Rachel Ferell. Smooth jazz funky album, with great musicians. Smooth, but not sirupy.

Crédits

Answer (AFAIK):
Piano - Nat Pierce
Trumpet - Harry Sweets Edison
Bass - Ike Issacson

1 Like

Tokyo '96

Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette

Release date: 20.04.1998
ECM 1666

To mark the 15th anniversary of Keith Jarrett’s Standards Trio, a sparkling live concert from Japan which maintains standards in every sense. The trio continues to make this old music new. As Keith Jarrett says, ‘Every time we play, we might be playing the same material, but it’s a new planet.’

Featured artists

Keith Jarrett Piano
Gary Peacock Bass
Jack DeJohnette Drums

Enjoy

Dave

11 Likes

Played this for the first time ever a couple of days ago, while doing stretching and weights.

Great album.

Thanks for sharing.

6 Likes

Cheers @Clive
I wasnt aware of this. Found it on Tidal added to today’s playlist
20210201_112026
Thanks for the nod

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Pianist Bill Evans’ final project for the Riverside label resulted in eight songs released as Bill Evans Trio at Shelly’s Manne-Hole. This set doubles the program by adding eight previously unreleased selections. Evans, who is in fine form playing in a trio with bassist Chuck Israels and drummer Larry Bunker, often sounded more relaxed in concert than in studios and he stretches himself on the material (mostly standards), making one wonder why all of the music was not orignally released. This is one of the finest recordings by this particular trio. Worth searching for.
:heart:

2 Likes

Hi @popeye
This one might be of interest, also from Resonance
HCD-2031-l
Bill Evans Another Time: The Hilversum Concert | Resonance Records

Not heard it yet, it’s on my list along with your posting and the recommendation above from Clive
:heart:

2 Likes