Jazz Music Thread

An emotional link for me, great album, great artists!

Surprisingly snoooozy. Just before you snuff out the candle (figuratively)music.
Burrell,Carter,Tate,and Phil Woods.
Suppose it kept bread on the table.

Where they found that photo of me to put on the album cover I will never know.image
N

I went back not understanding why I was so dismissive.Apparently an attempt to recreate the previous generations Benny Goodman and Charlie Christian sound. Still think it is a lot less than the musicians are capable of but a pleasant gentle end to the day record.
N

1 Like

I just posted this on the WAYLT thread and felt it ought to be listed here too. I said on the other thread that I needed something to lift the spirits - this works every time. I must have bought this early ‘90s when I was living in London. It’s a brilliant record, which I recommend most heartily. Try it - you’ll not be disappointed.

6 Likes

Thats a great album, Love Abdullah Ibrahim, so many good records also under the name Dollar Brand.
This is another favourite
R-6369545-1417548020-9490.jpeg
:heart:

Love the album, it’s a true milestone in my opinion.

1 Like

I used to own this and the one Doctor Dread recommends.Where are they now?Probably vinyl and sold eons ago.
The mixture of South African musicians and sun together with a bit of US help did make for some uplifting music.
I will see what Spotify or Discogs has to offer.
N

1 Like

I don’t have the one that Judge Dread suggested, so I had a look on Qobuz, but was unable to find it there. However. there are several of his albums on Qobuz. Picking one at random, I’m currently enjoying ‘African Suite’, which the album image says is for trio and string orchestra. Different, but rather pleasant.

HI @BertBird , thanks for recommending Shai Maestro. I didn’t know this artists and tried the album. It’s really impressive and a very relaxed-listen. Thank you !
Very well recorded by the way !
Iver

1 Like

Now playing in blue-

3 Likes

And @Nick1940
You really cant go wrong with any of Abdullah Ibrahim imo, I’ve not heard everything but I doubt theres any real duffers.

I managed to see him live once in Brighton, I think he was a bit grumpy. After playing a couple of pieces, followed by polite but restrained audience response, he got up to the front of the stage, glared into the audience and muttered disdainfully Saturday night in Brighton…hmmm! :rofl:

I particularly like his recordings with Ekaya and Saxophonist Carlos Ward, pity The Mountain isn’t available on Qubuz or Tidal, you could probably pick up a cheap used CD. There is Sotho Blue with Ekaya (not heard this one) with different reworkings of some of their material including The Mountain.
I also like African Piano (Dollar Brand ECM), At Montreax, Cape Town Revisited, his newest recording The Balance to name just a few off the top of my head.
Like I say it’s all good really and material can vary from quiet introspective material to Ellington influenced fusion with traditional South African music from the Townships.
The record that first brought me to him was the LP Voice Of Africa

R-884799-1453422824-1705.jpeg

Anyway enjoy investigating

How about…
71AuR1nGaiL.AC_SY450

Dave

9 Likes

Then maybe try this live with NDR Big Band Ekapa Lodumo

ekapa_lodumo-1

1 Like

Abdullah Ibrahim & Ekaya: Sotho Blue

MAY 1, 2011

BYMICHAEL J. WEST

Considering that South African pianist/composer Abdullah Ibrahim founded his Ekaya ensemble as an anti-apartheid vehicle, Sotho Blue-a straight-ahead re-examination of Ibrahim’s older pieces in a post-apartheid context-is long overdue. Twenty years after the segregation ended, the album’s dominant moods are still relief and quiet happiness. It’s a triumph, one of the best works of Ibrahim’s career.

There are no fast or loud tunes; joy and hope are carefully contained, perhaps the most glaring difference from the fiery protestations of yore. The focus is on slow ballads and low-key arrangements like the solo piano “Abide,” Ibrahim playing with a gospel touch and unmistakable sense of valedictory, and the sweet, happy “The Wedding,” with alto saxophonist Cleave Guyton leading a four-part horn arrangement (Keith Loftis on tenor, Jason Marshall on baritone, Andrae Murchison on trombone) that maintains the lightness of a bride’s steps down the aisle. Subdued performances do not beget subdued emotions, however: The beautiful “Nisa,” which Ibrahim gives an Ellingtonian orchestration, carries in its gentle horn riffs and high, delicate piano line yesterday’s tears, today’s bliss and tomorrow’s hope.

https://jazztimes.com/reviews/albums/abdullah-ibrahim-ekaya-sotho-blue/

2 Likes

Africa - Tears and Laughter is one of my desert island discs

Dollar Brand Quartet: Africa - Tears and Laughter

4 Likes

Two favourite duets:

R-4753284-1398368916-9359.jpeg

R-3102138-1559380573-5900.jpeg

1 Like

I’ve just discovered theres also a documentary about Bill Evan’s with the same title.
Mrs Dread has a prime membership and I found it’s free to view (maybe other platforms too) so it’s on the watch list

Bill Evans Time Remembered Documentary Film

vertical-poster-post

2 Likes

Definitely
And together with-

4 Likes

The all music review for Time Remembered appears a bit misleading.
Something didnt sound quite right with Time Remembered and I found information on Discogs that not all of these tracks were recorded live at Shellys Manne Hole;

Tracks 1 to 4 recorded at Plaza Sound Studios, New York City, April 10, 1962.
Track 5 recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York City, December 15, 1958.
Tracks 6 to 9 recorded in performance at Shelly’s Manne-Hole, Hollywood, CA, May 30, 1963.
Tracks 10 to 13 recorded in performance at Shelly’s Manne-Hole, Hollywood, CA, May 31, 1963.

Tracks 1 to 5 taken from LP " Conception " ( 1981 )
Tracks 6 to 13 taken from 2-LP " Time Remembered " ( 1983 )

Ive compared Time Temembered to my At Shellys Manne Hole OJC CD.
Unless I’ve misunderstood something the review seems to suggest that Time Remembered is an expanded version of At Shelley’s Manne Hole “doubling the programme by adding eight previously unreleased selections”
Well the Time Remembered album I just streamed has 13 tracks none of which are on At Shelley’s Manne Hole. Not all of the tracks on Time Remembered are recorded Live At Shellys Manne Hole either.
Time Remembered then, as good as it absolutely is, is a sort of compilation of some tracks that didnt make it onto Shellys Manne Hole and some other odds n sods.
You still need to have the Shellys Manne Hole album. Pity someone didnt have the thought to put out an expanded version of Manne Hole with those tracks that missed the cut.

2 Likes

Just watched the first half of this video of Robert discussing the merits of various jazz films.

He’s a very well informed and interesting speaker on jazz in this video.

2 Likes