Jazz Music Thread

Of course. That was a concert just around the corner where I lived at that time, didn’t attend. Sadly without Bertrami. Bass still holds up, so many great Bass players from Brazil!

1 Like

My favorite Brazilian Bass player of course:

1 Like

Will check Qobuz. Seems very promising! Thanks. Had listened quickly on YouTube.

1 Like

The man’s last performance, he suddenly passed months after. Nelson Faria has a really great coffee and jazz show on youtube by the way!

1 Like

Brilliant solo piano version of the Sonny Rollins track Pent Up House.

2 Likes

A recent Milt Jackson find. The MJQ but with Horace Silver on piano in place of John Lewis…

AllMusic Review by Richard Mortifoglio

This 1955 date is an intriguing opportunity to hear Milt Jackson accompanied by the MJQ rhythm section, but with hard bopper Horace Silver substituting for John Lewis. Not only that, it’s also a chance to hear a hitherto unknown, lushly romantic side of both Jackson and Silver, two blues-oriented players who rarely if ever recorded standards in this sort of style. With its excellent recording quality, it’s a perfect album for intimate dinners and other late-night activities. Artie Shaw’s exotic “Moonray” is rarely heard in any sort of context, while “My Funny Valentine” and “The Nearness of You” set the mood throughout.

Streaming on Qobuz via Roon.

Enjoy

Dave

2 Likes

Sorry, not sure if your referring to my reply re Sketches Of Spain.
I’m very familiar with it and as @Nick1940 pointed out to really appreciate and understand Miles inspiration, you need to hear it in an orchestral setting as the composer Rodrigo intended, and Manuel De Falla El Amor Brujo.
That’s not knocking Miles at all, Sketches is a wonderful album but without hearing the reference it’s only a small part of the picture.
Anyway, I thought you dont listen to Jazz from the 50’s & 60’s?
:heart:

1 Like

Hi DAttC,
I was not referring to Sketches of Spain album but Miles Espanol, album by Bob Belden, from 2011.
The review is average, for which I disagree completely. It’s a piece of art album.
I know sketches of Spain, directed by Gil Evans and heard also once the original version. But this reinterpretation gives more to my interest.

AllMusic Review by Steve Leggett

Producer Bob Belden has turned reinventing the music of Miles Davis into a cottage industry, taking Davis to India for 2008’s Miles from India, and more recently Belden has given us Asiento, which re-imagined Bitches Brew as a slice of electronica. Now he gives us Miles Español, which finds Beldenpairing veterans of Davis’ various bands with musicians from Spain, Morocco, and Latin America on classic tracks from DavisSketches of Spain and Kind of Blue albums. Hearing Davis compositions with oud, bassoon, accordion, and bongos is certainly exotic and interesting, but one longs for the elegant, stately grace of the original albums.

1 Like

20 years on and still producing the magic with two other jazz masters…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

This set features a notable pianoless combo: vibraphonist Milt Jackson, guitarist Joe Pass, and bassist Ray Brown. These three masterful players recorded together in many settings during the Pablo years, but only this once as a trio. The colorful repertoire – ranging from “The Pink Panther” and “Blue Bossa” to “Nuages” and “Come Sunday” – acts as a device for the musicians to construct some brilliant bop-based solos.

Streaming on Qobuz via Roon

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

No worries, crossed wires
:+1:

1 Like

The big four are spectacular as well. Pass out Roker in. Same stable.
Wonderful music. Swift ride down hill from here :cry:. IMHO of course.
N

Can’t go far today as the untreated, both by residents and council,paths are soooooo slippery.
So we were looking for new tenor saxophone masters to listen to.
Impressed with Jimmy Heath’s you tube entitled where’s the melody where’s the harmony.
He seems to have evaded most of what was going on around him and seems remarkably uninfluenced by the Coltrane bug. (Your choice to like JC mine to ignore him ((sorry Dave))). I had only thought of him as an arranger.
But he plays fluently within what I will call the Dexter school.
image image
N

3 Likes

No luck finding the album I think you are referring to on Qobuz but found this very “listenable” album…
R-4242501-1359489481-7726.jpeg

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

The quartet that went by the name “Quadrant” (guitarist Joe Pass, vibraphonist Milt Jackson, bassist Ray Brown and drummer Mickey Roker) recorded two albums for Pablo; this one has not been reissued on CD yet. For this project, the group plays nine Duke Ellington compositions, Billy Strayhorn’s “Take the ‘A’ Train,” and Juan Tizol’s “Caravan.” The four masterful musicians play up to their potential; the interplay and blend between Jackson and Pass is appealing, and there are a fair share of exciting moments on the respectful and swinging set. Highlights include “Caravan,” “Mood Indigo,” “Main Stem” and “Rocks In My Bed.”

Enjoy

Dave

That’s what I like. This Ellington tribute had escaped me.
But these hadn’t.image image image

Worth the subscription.:wink:
N

3 Likes

Love that Very Tall Band CD, great SQ too as were all The Telarc’s I have.
:+1:

Psychedelic jazz funk . 1973/1974.

2 Likes

Dirty Harry “refreshed “ :laughing:

1 Like

Tonight’s delight:

The track All The Things You Are from the album Sonny Meets Hawk.

The 2 min solo by Paul Bley on this 1963 track was revolutionary in the freedom of structure and invention it showed.

Pat Metheny called it ‘the shot heard around the world’.

1 Like

Hi,not into jazz in a big way,so some advice please.Being a Bowie fan,could do with some guidance on wether these artists are particularly well known,or has anyone got this album to evaluate the quality,both of recording and content. Wasn’t sure which thread to post it on,so have taken a punt with this one,thanks in advance.

I know only Bojan Z and Eric le Lann. As for Bowie, I like only Honky Dory.

1 Like