Jazz Music Thread

Thanks,will probably end up buying it just out of curiosity.

1 Like

One of Duke Ellington’s finest small group sessions from his final decade was this frequently exciting quartet date… Ellington’s percussive style always sounded modern and he comes up with consistently strong solos… Highly recommended.

• Duke Ellington – piano
  • Joe Pass - guitar
  • Ray Brown - bass
  • Louie Bellson- drums
7 Likes

From the 60’s, but I like. :+1:. Even if I prefer Joe Pass with Paulhino Da Costa from early 70’s…

1 Like

What terribly sad news today. R.I.P. Chick

Noooooo

1 Like

Chick Corea?

Yes sadly so

Very sad

I just heard it too

RIP Chick Corea
:heart:

2 Likes

Just to go back a bit to Miles in India. It’s a great record and I bought it initially on CD. I then got the LP version having seen it at a reasonable price, but the pressing is poor (and a friend who got it said the same) - the CD is my preference. I know the discussion was about finding it online, but I wanted to alert anyone who might be thinking of getting a physical copy.

1 Like

An overlooked album but a wonderful listen. Added bonus of the great Kenny Burrell on guitar, Philly Joe Jones on drums, Ray Brown on bass and Harold Land on tenor sax.
Listening on good old CD for a change, loosen up the CD5XS.

1 Like

I have tracked down a 2nd hand CD version apparently in mint condition. Difficult to find

1 Like

Yes, this album is on Qobuz now.
Just giving it a spin.

1 Like

Hard bop I didn’t know yet & worth mentioning :slight_smile:

1 Like

This always gets my feet tapping. If I ever get a turntable, this record will be very high on my wishlist.

4 Likes

I tried to listen carefully, but can’t be involved. These are very good musicians but it’s like it was lacking some soul.
You like it?

Last track from the album, live here on YouTube.

No, it’s not very good.

I listened to almost the whole album today while doing my stretching and weights.

Some of it is live versions of the previous album, but not really much different or better than the studio versions.

I do like the Black Radio albums by Glasper, and Double Booked.

And if you want soul - check out Better Than I Imagined with Michelle NGaChello.

I also just discovered his 1st Blue Note album tonight, Canvas, which Richard mentioned early on this thread.

The thing about Glasper is - he can play superb piano.

When he gets over his own ego and just gets into it, he’s great.

I like the better I imagined :+1:. I posted it somewhere above.

These are my favourite by her:

image image

3 Likes

I agree. It’s frustrating to sense that somewhere under all that BS lies real talent.
What’s more frustrating is that there are so many emerging ‘‘virtuoso’’ jazz artists that I just can’t get into for the same reason.
Seems like their attempt to sound different at all costs often ends up sounding like a hot mess (to me at least).
And, no I’m not a nostalgic jazz lover, stuck in the 60’s.

«Seems like their attempt to sound different at all costs… »
I feel it was already the case with some at the late of 60’s, with Ornette Coleman or Steve Lacy for example.
Don’t you think ?