Jazz Music Thread

Very true. I just switched it to STEPS / Smokin’ in the pit and I am completely enjoying again.

2 Likes

71MVb2lhzKL.AC_SX355

Recording Date

May 15, 1979 - May 16, 1979

AllMusic Review by Paul Kohler

Recorded live at the Pitt Inn in Tokyo, Japan this superb double-disc is one of jazz music’s finest moments. It includes the same lineup as Step by Step. None of the material on any of these three Japanese CDs is repeated on the other CDs. Buy all three, they’re worth every penny!

The album has many great tracks but, arguably, Michael Brecker’s solo on Sara’s Touch is one of his best.

Dave

3 Likes

Today’s Guardian " Chick Corea - His 10 Greatest Recordings" compiled by John Fordham…

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/15/chick-corea-his-10-greatest-recordings

Dave

How I suffered in 1961.

I cannot find a critic that does not think this historic cd a marvel for those who can appreciate the mainstream.
Zoot was never less than pretty wonderful,Ron ups his game. Only that bloody piano lets Stan down.
S’like Jazz TimeTeam.

N

2 Likes

‘One of jazz musics finest moments’ … I just wish these critics? Would have the humility to add an imho.
I played it,well some of it. It falls rather short of Louis’ Weatherbird,Most of the forties Ellington and Basie.We could poke in Diz and Bird,Miles Clifford Brown and even the unmentionable JC. Therin you could find a memoraable moment or two.
If ever I manage to get a similarly aged woman in for dinner and drinks :crossed_fingers:I think I might use it for romantic background music.
N

iyho :wink:

I had a listen now on YouTube and just bought it from Discogs on lp.
:+1:

1 Like

Ok already. I will buy a turntable.

You want to buy a turntable ?
I bought the lp for this album because, generally, recordings before 1990 don’t sound very good on cd.
It it was a later recording, i would download it .

I have collected some lp’s over the years, just for kicks. I mostly only listen to pre ‘90 stuff anyway. A basic planar 6 with an mc would do just fine I guess

Yes, it would be fine. A second hand Rp8/ Ania Pro or Apheta 2/ Aria would be top. Specially when I see your profile. It would be much better than 272 streaming, and specially more as you are listening to analog albums before cd era.

1 Like

Earlier CD’s taken from flat transfers are often OK. The problem is with later remastering and the obsession with excessive compression and the “loudness wars”
:heart:

The albums from the 80’s I have on cd are generally very average sounding. I prefer the lp version.
But I have not a lot of 80’s albums. More 70’s. And downloads from 1990 to today.
All the albums from 70’s are on lp for me.

The 272 has been sold, the nd5xs2 to replace it is stuck at the docks (brexit hassle). Will look out for a rp8, thanks for the tip. Rather like the rp6 looks matt grey though (yes, it matters :shushing_face:)

1 Like

later “remasterings” often sound worse than earlier CD’s that were transferred flat from original master tapes. Of course the original vinyl is likely to sound better if also mastered from the original tape.
In the absence of a decent vinyl pressing I would usually prefer an earlier CD issue that hasn’t been brickwalled to death by some dunderhead engineer.

Where do you go after you’ve visited all the musicians you mention? :grinning:

IYHO of course. :wink:

Dave

Enjoying some Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown.
In anticipation of the new Acoustic Sounds Series vinyl re issue.
20210216_163628

4 Likes

I bought the album above from the year of production, 1985, from Discogs. I will share on the sound but would be surprised if 1985 pressing is bad.

5 stars on your reproduction equipment of choice.

Dave

1 Like

It matters, but the step from Rp6 to Rp8 is huge. I am talking of Rp8, not the new P8 which looks different.

It comes with a cover.