Jazz Music Thread

:heart:

Joining you with the Essential Mahavishnu Orchestra, just to see which tracks are considered essential by those who compiled this album. I suppose it’ll include the whole of the Inner Mounting Flame. Love the Mahavishnu Orchestra!

2 Likes

Happy to share

Cant believe it’s taken me getting on for 2 years to hear this…
I love most of the new UK “Jazz” somehow this is one that I missed
Featuring some of the Jazz Re:Freshed leading lights
20210224_111452
Cassie Kinoshi: alto saxophone; Miguel Gorodi; trumpet; Sheila Maurice Grey: trumpet; Chelsea Carmichael: tenor saxophone, flute; Joe Bristow; trombone; Theon Cross: tuba; Joe Armon-Jones: piano and Rhodes (3-5, 8); Sarah Tandy: piano and Rhodes (1, 2, 6, 7); Shirley Tetteh: guitar; Rio Kai: double bass; Patrick Boyle; drums; Cherise Adams-Burnett: vocals (5).

4 Likes

Yup. As I’ve posted before for me it’s the most complete of the new Brit jazz albums - great compositions and playing; witty (the Afronaut lyrics) and moving (the Grenfall tribute). Great live too.

1 Like

If you havent already check out Kokoroko who Cassie Kinoshi is a member of. I dont think they’ve done a full length album yet but their EP on Brownswood records and a couple of singles are brilliant.
20210224_115301
:heart:

2 Likes

Just out - J Jazz 3.

Beautiful music. It is like the piano in my living room!

4 Likes

He’s a genuine innovator. Love his stuff. This is my fave - when I was last travelling round Morocco it was my constant companion.

3 Likes

Nice article about the AEC. The first album I got of theirs was the live album on ECM - Urban Bushmen - which isn’t rated here but I enjoy listening to it.

1 Like

I will listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

Listening now to my new lp just received. Dedalus/ Dedalus. Very good Italian jazz rock from 1973. It’s a Mint reissue, and sound very good.
Not warped too :laughing:
The original copies cost near 900 euros .

2 Likes

CT 6 is awesome!

1 Like

My favourite too :+1::+1:

A new thread maybe? Euro 70s Jazz Rock.

Very Good the Placebo album :+1:. Another track Dag Madame Merci also superb.
Will check Discogs now.

Straight ahead post-Coltrane tenor…

500x500

AllMusic Review by Ken Dryden

Eric Alexander is in top form throughout this 2007 quartet session with some of his favorite bandmates, including David Hazeltine, bassist John Webber, and drummer Joe Farnsworth, all four of whom are members of the group One for All and regular participants on the Manhattan jazz scene in clubs and studios. The big-toned tenor saxophonist covers a lot of bases, including several standards, works by jazz greats (all tenor players), and a bossa nova. Though John Coltrane has been an obvious influence on some earlier recordings, he has developed his own sound, blending ideas from past artists with his own. The rhapsodic treatment of “Stella by Starlight” is one highlight, and while he opts for the famous Coltrane modal setting of “My Favorite Things,” he doesn’t linger in getting to the conclusion of its theme. His turbocharged take of Sonny Rollins’ “Airegin” is fueled by his fiery rhythm section, while Hazeltine’s soulful, lush accompaniment is the perfect backdrop for the leader in the moving “Lover Man.” Another fine date by Eric Alexander, one of the best saxophonists of his generation.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

Some posted Joaquim Kuhn above. Here is one with Ray Lema. More jazz rock.

image image

1 Like

Talking about European jazz rock…

https://youtu.be/ch33CNm1VoM With Jean Marie Ecay solo

2 Likes