Jazz Music Thread

2 Likes

Exquisitely executed. Three masters players.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Or better still…

AllMusic Review by Stewart Mason [-]

Available for quite some time as an import before the tiny Philadelphia-based indie 215 Records finally released it stateside, complete with a bonus live DVD, 2003’s Seven Days of Falling is every bit the equal of E.S.T.'s earlier records. Misguided American media comparisons to the highly overrated the Bad Plus have done pianist Esbjörn Svensson, bassist Dan Berglund, and drummer Magnus Ostrom a grave disservice, as their music is far more wide-ranging and much less gimmicky. Despite occasional forays into rock influences like “O.D.R.I.P.” and a few brief passages that skirt the edges of outside free improv, there’s an elegance and shapeliness to the trio’s work that has more in common with the cerebral cool of Bill Evans (particularly on the quietly gorgeous opener “Ballad for the Unborn”) or the effortless melodic grace of the Vince Guaraldi Trio (“Evening in Atlantis,” “Believe, Beleft, Below”). Seven Days of Falling is a ravishingly beautiful, musically captivating album. Bonus track alert: hidden after the nervy “O.D.R.I.P.” is the Sinatra-like ballad “Love Is Real,” featuring guest vocals from Josh Haden, son of Charlie and brother of Petra.

Enjoy

Dave

11 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

38: Benny Goodman: At Carnegie Hall (Columbia)
Though it was recorded on 16 January 1938, Benny Goodman’s Carnegie Hall concert
didn’t surface until 1950. It earns its place among the best jazz albums of all time thanks
to its capturing a significant moment in history: Goodman was the first jazz musician
permitted to play at a prestigious classical music concert hall. Worried that negative
reviews would derail his career, the clarinettist was apprehensive about performing at
the venue, but his fears proved unfounded and the concert was heralded as a major
cultural event. Goodman’s band is on fire, and an extra dose of fuel is added to the
flames thanks to the addition of members from Duke Ellington’s and Count Basie’s
bands. As well as showcasing new material, Goodman also offered up a history of jazz,
including some ragtime and Dixieland tunes in his set, affirming that he truly lived up to
his billing as the “King Of Swing”.

Key song: ‘Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing)’

Dave

4 Likes

Arguably the most influential post-Coltrane tenor saxophone player on his debut album, as a leader, with an all-star group…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Although he had been a major tenor saxophonist in the studios for nearly 20 years and was quite popular for his work with the Brecker Brothers, this MCA/Impulse set was Michael Brecker’s first as a leader. Playing in a quintet with guitarist Pat Metheny, keyboardist Kenny Kirkland, bassist Charlie Haden, and drummer Jack DeJohnette, Brecker performs three of his originals, two by producer Don Grolnick, and Mike Stern’s “Choices.” The music in general is straight-ahead but far from predictable; the tricky material really challenges the musicians and Michael Brecker is in consistently brilliant form, constantly stretching himself. Highly recommended.

Enjoy

Dave

7 Likes

Straight into my top-10 … what a spin !
Iver

7 Likes

I fully agree: great record!

1 Like
6 Likes

Nice smooth jazz. Good for a rainy Sunday night.

5 Likes

Still jazz ? Or rock?

1 Like

Just had this Clifford Brown/Max Roach CD drop through the letterbox.

It is in Jazzwise’s “top 100 albums that shook the world”. I don’t know about that but it is a cracking album if you are into bebop. Just think what Clifford Brown could have gone onto do if he had not been tragically killed in 1956 - possibly a Miles Davis rival?

13 Likes

Just bought this album. Thanks.

2 Likes

@frenchrooster
I highly recommend
Good Morning Suzie SohoR-497214-1495800643-4364.jpeg
And the brilliant Live In Hamburg, I have the lovely 4LP box edition

:heart:

10 Likes

I just received this lp. Fabulous album and sound. 3 blind mices label.

1 Like