Jazz Music Thread

Hidden gems-
1 3 7

7 Likes

Streaming on Tidal, vinyl re issue coming soon

Originally released on the Vertigo label, complete with collectable ‘swirl’ record centre design, this sought-after jazz-rock-fusion rarity features some of the cream of the UK jazz musicians of the 70’s. Comprised from groups such as Nucleus, Brian Auger’s band, Soft Machine, Stan Tracy group, the players included Brian Smith (tenor and soprano saxophones, alto and bamboo flutes), legendary guitarist Allan Holdsworth, Dave MacRae (Fender electric piano), and bassist Roy Babbington, to name but a few.

Seen as a benchmark point in Ian Carr’s career, ‘Belladonna’ is awash with atmospheric excursions and ethereal qualities, as well as a darker fusion aesthetic and prog-rock sensibility from Holdsworth’s exceptional guitar playing. The moody, yet funky, vibe of the album has echoes of Miles Davis’ electronic era à la ‘In A Silent Way’.
:heart:

1 Like

Also included in the excellent Nucleus ‘Torrid Zone’ CD box set.

2 Likes

Something to investigate :+1:

1 Like

A good listen and a good band. Bandcamp.

Just received

1 Like

He @PatM thank for recommending Simplicity by Carsten Dahl. Wonderful choice; just listened (and even listened a second time). Wonderful ! And also very well recirded by the way
Iver

I think we share a similar taste ! Listening a lot to Arnett Cob, Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster, next to a whole bunch of Scandinavian artists I like @PatM
Iver

1 Like

A beautiful voice. Very well tuned.

2 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

36: The Mahavishnu Orchestra With John McLaughlin: The Inner Mounting
Flame (Columbia)

After rising to fame with Miles Davis at the end of the 60s (on the proto jazz-rock/fusion
albums In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew), Doncaster-born guitar magus John McLaughlin
formed The Mahavishnu Orchestra, a quintet that married the virtuosity of jazz improv
with the high-decibel power of heavy rock to create a hybrid that was then infused with
Eastern mysticism. This, their debut album, was an incendiary confection of searing
guitar and violin lines jousting over churning rhythm tracks played in unusual time
signatures. The group’s harshest detractors damned them as pretentious and selfindulgent,
but, amazingly, they achieved mainstream success, particularly in America,
where they were wholeheartedly embraced. Recorded by the first of several incarnations
of the band, The Inner Mounting Flame is undoubtedly The Mahavishnu Orchestra’s best
album and still astonishes today.

Key song: ‘The Dance Of Maya’

Enjoy

Dave

9 Likes

Indeed.

1 Like

Not Apocalypse? Visions of the Emerald beyond? :smiley:

1 Like

No.

1 Like

Some nice tracks. Thanks. Around 11 euros on Bandcamp and 16 euros on Qobuz. Which will I choose ?

Vocalist Melissa Walker returns to center stage after an extended hiatus with a stunning new CD. Listeners will revel in this recording with all the hallmarks of her previous critically acclaimed CDs, yet delight in forging a new blues-tinged soulful mix with searing performances by special guest, harmonica player Gregoire Maret and an all-star band. One of the great singers of her generation, Walker is blessed with a distinctive sound; known as an impeccable interpreter of lyrics with a gorgeous tone, three-octave range and a commanding sense of rhythm, Walker is a genuine artist. This Juno Award nominee and brainy beauty has garnered a devoted audience captivated by her fresh interpretations and wellchosen material. Adept at drawing from her roots to pull repertoire and original compositions from diverse genres and blending them in a melting pot which includes her reverence for America’s jazz tradition and folk influences, Walker transforms each song into something uniquely her own. For her new release, Walker gathers an intoxicating mix of seemingly unrelated songs that perfectly combines her powerful yet intimate style, with the arranging palette of Christian McBride’s funkiness and world-influenced beats of longtime bandmate and coproducer, Clarence Penn.
crédits
paru le 25 août 2009

Melissa Walker - vocals
Gregoire Maret - harmonica
Aaron Goldberg - piano, Fender Rhodes
Keith Gantz - guitar
Adam Rogers - guitar
Christian McBride - bass -electric, bass- acoustic
Clarence Penn - drums, percussion

Remember listening to this when it first came out. Been a fan of John ever since. Incredible guitarist.

2 Likes

streaming is my preference but they should sound the same. enjoy!

1 Like

I was joking, because I choose logically the least expensive.

Another new arrival. George Russell’s New York. An Acoustic Sounds reissue.

Great big band jazz from 1959. Super musicians including Bill Evans, Art Farmer and John Coltrane. I did not think I would like the narration. But the narration by Jon Hendricks gives the album an enjoyable, late fifties groove.

6 Likes

Also worth checking out on your playback system of choice…

RCD-30188

Ezz-thetics - George Russell Sextet
This is a true classic. Composer/pianist George Russell gathered together a very versatile group of talents (trumpeter Don Ellis, trombonist Dave Baker, Eric Dolphy on alto and bass clarinet, bassist Steve Swallow, and drummer Joe Hunt) to explore three of his originals, “'Round Midnight” (which is given an extraordinary treatment by Dolphy), Miles Davis’ “Nardis,” and David Baker’s “Honesty.” The music is post-bop and although using ideas from avant-garde jazz, it does not fall into any simple category. The improvising is at a very high level and the frameworks (which include free and stop-time sections) really inspire the players. Highly recommended.
© Scott Yanow AllMusic.com

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes