Jazz Music Thread

One of my favourite albums.

1 Like

Not all the Keepnews version tracks were available for streaming on Qobuz so downloaded the album from Presto Jazz.

Thanks to @docbot for his initial posting. George Russell is filling a gap in my jazz appreciation. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

A newly released album from one of my favourite pianists…

Enjoy

Dave

2 Likes

One of the best productions I’ve ever heard. Awesome record.

6 Likes

Just discovered that one. Excellent.

This track (and album) are brilliantly recorded.

Very real, in the room sound.

1 Like

Great suggestion and great album: thanks a lot! :+1:

1 Like

3 Likes

Wow, this is Glasper at his very best.

Great rhythms and energy.

Great recommendation. Enjoying this right now.

1 Like

It sounds awful but is worth ten minutes on Spotify just to hear this collection of masters breezin’ through the chords. I enjoy both this period and the accompanying social history.
Parker,Navarro,Powell,Blakey .

Might be on Qobuz but I am no longer a subscriber.
N

3 Likes

Found this on Qobuz. Probably the same session?

61aKXHuSoqL.AC_SY355

Dave

1 Like

Johnny Griffin Big Soul Band
OJC/Riverside 1960
It’s good!

A1 Wade In The Water 3:44
A2 Panic Room Blues 4:33
A3 Nobody Knows The Trouble I’ve Seen 2:40
A4 Meditation 8:14
B1 Holla 3:35
B2 So Tired 6:34
B3 Deep River 5:24
B4 Jubilation 3:53

Line-up/Musicians

Alto Saxophone – Frank Strozier, Pat Patrick (tracks: A1, A2, B3)
Bass – Bob Cranshaw (tracks: A1, A2, B3), Vic Sproles (tracks: A3 to B2, B4)
Celesta [Celeste] – Bobby Timmons (tracks: A3)
Drums – Charlie Persip
Piano – Bobby Timmons (tracks: A4), Harold Mabern (tracks: A1 to A3, B)
Tenor Saxophone – Edwin Williams
Tenor Saxophone, Chorus – Johnny Griffin
Trombone – Julian Priester, Matthew Gee
Trumpet – Bob Bryant , Clark Terry
:heart:

2 Likes

Washed during 1 hour and listened during 20 minutes :joy::joy::joy:
:chicken:

The very best of melodies,a wonderful pianist,super Concord sound and Steve la Spina manages to get a tone from his bass similar to that of Ray Brown.
Jerry Dodgion alto
Joey Barron drums.
I can’t find it to stream.This is a recently purchased cd.image

N

3 Likes

Have been watching the dvd of this incredible ensemble last night. Anyone know if the lp quality is worth it?

What a line up, all on one stage.

1. “Cantaloupe Island” (Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams)
  2. “Recorda Me” (Hubbard, Henderson, Hancock, Carter, Williams, Bobby Hutcherson)
  3. “Little B’s Poem” (Hutcherson, Hancock, Carter, Williams, James Newton)
  4. “Bouquet” (Hancock, Carter, Hutcherson)
  5. “Jumpin’ Jack” (Stanley Jordan)
  6. “Summertime” (Grover Washington, Jr., Kenny Burrell, Reggie Workman, Grady Tate)
  7. “Moanin’” (Hubbard, Johnny Griffin, Curtis Fuller, Walter Davis Jr., Workman, Art Blakey)
  8. “Sweet and Lovely” (McCoy Tyner)
  9. “Appointment in Ghana” (Woody Shaw, Jackie McLean, Tyner, Cecil McBee, Jack DeJohnette)
  10. “Tone Poem” (Charles Lloyd, Michel Petrucciani, McBee, DeJohnette)
  11. “Blues Walk” (Lou Donaldson, Jimmy Smith, Burrell, Tate)
  12. “The Jumpin’ Blues” (Stanley Turrentine, Smith, Burrell, Tate)
  13. “Scratch My Back” (Turrentine, Smith, Burrell, Tate)
  14. “Pontos Cantados” (Cecil Taylor)

No luck on Qobuz or Spotify but this minor gem caught my attention…

R-15107017-1586771297-3287.jpeg

AllMusic Review by Ken Dryden [-]

Marian McPartland has continued to grow as a musician over her long career, constantly exploring new songs and new styles while rekindling standards and jazz classics with her own distinctive touch at the keyboard. This pair of 1995 sessions at the Yoshi’s Nitespot in Oakland, CA, feature her in a trio setting with bassist Bill Douglass and drummer Glenn Davis. She slowly percolates a driving bop arrangement of “Like Someone in Love,” and her striking approach to “If I Should Lose You” conveys the emotion of the song even though the lyric isn’t heard. She also ventures into modern Broadway with a mesmerizing waltz interpretation of the ballad “Pretty Women” (from Stephen Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd). Songs by Duke Ellington and Thelonious Monk are an expected part of any performance by the pianist, and she doesn’t disappoint her audience with her lovely take of “Warm Valley” and a strident version of “Straight, No Chaser.” She romps through Charlie Parker’s “Steeplechase,” captures the essence of Clare Fischer’s “Pensativa,” revisits her own beautiful ballad “Silent Pool” (which has been heard on numerous editions of her long-running NPR series “Piano Jazz”), and signs off with Ornette Coleman’s deceptively simple blues “Turn Around,” which of course prompts her to choose an adventurous, improvised route. This live CD is an essential document of McPartland’s career, and no jazz library should be with.

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

She always looks and dresses like a person you might meet at the WI cake stall. But us hipsters don’t have to dress the part.Oh no.
Drummer Joe Morello’s close friend for several years. Or so it is alleged.
N

3 Likes