Jazz Music Thread

Someone recommended that album some days ago. I received it in lp. Very good and great sound quality too.

:+1:great one!

1 Like

@narcom thanks for the Maria McPartland suggestion. Now playing !! very enjoyable
Iver

1 Like

DSD 128 native

2 Likes

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

An easy listening set of ballads (only three of the ten songs were associated with Ellington), this is a relaxing if unexciting program. On this reissue, two “new” performances (“Night and Day” and a trio version of “All the Things You Are”) were added to the original LP, but one song (“The Sky Fell Down”) was dropped and an alternate version of “Autumn Leaves” was substituted for the original; all 12 performances could have easily fit. Nice subtle music, but not essential.

Curiosity got the better of me. Sorry lifes too short. :grinning:

Dave

PS Review courtesy of Roon.

1 Like

Love this one

3 Likes

That more like it! :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

Hated by most fans back in the day when it came out (and ignored by me) but just way ahead of its time. I only started appreciating it when this 90s reissue CD came out.

7 Likes

Art Blakey, A Night At Birdland vol. 2. Blue Note 1522 remastered in 2015 mono LP.

I don’t want to enter in the “old jazz VS new jazz” debate, but one can’t help feeling a bit nostalgic hearing Blakey and his band playing at the Birdland in 1955 (?)…

SQ and pressing of this affordable LP are both impressive.

Art Blakey A night at Birdland

Claude

5 Likes

Does it help: I was in the old school Blue Note a couple of years ago and saw new school Hiromi with old school Anthony Jackson and no jazz school Simon Phillips. All sounded very cool…whatever the age of the school.

1 Like

3 Likes

An old favourite:

2 Likes

Four more recent purchases.
Ellen Rucker and Spike Robinson. Bought mainly as I have most of Spike’s cds. But Ms Rucker sounds no slouch.She looks like Carla Bleys sister.
Gerry Mulligan. I think this is the super polished band I saw at the Barbican.
Benny Carter. The King. Those Pablos always sound impressive.
Lanny Morgan.We shall see (or hear). Many of these Californian Richard*Bock productions have a sameness but Lou Levy is a master.
£5.00 each and the cd racks do hold up the sagging chateau walls.image

I have had to re-title Mr. Bock to Richard. His known by shortened name was causing offence.*
N

1 Like

Claude, would that be the original lp cover. Does it mention anywhere. I only collect cds and that front insert is very different.
I ask because I have an interest in David Stone Martin, artist on many of Norman Granz original covers and although this has some of his ‘trade marks’ it was one I was not aware of.Art Blakey A night at Birdland
Thanks.
N

1 Like

I saw Benny Carter when he was MC’ing a jazz performance in the late 1990s. Grand old chap with a walking stick, looked to be very much enjoying the occasion - by then he had stopped actually playing. Actually walked right past him and didn’t have the nerve to say ‘hello and thanks’. Been kicking myself ever since.

A very ill Jimmy Witherspoon also performed with great courage that day - a sad and moving sight.

1 Like

One of my favourites from Keith. Relaxed group performance with an appreciative club audience.

7 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

28: Lee Morgan: The Sidewinder (Blue Note)
A trumpet prodigy from Philadelphia who joined Blue Note when he was still a teenager, Lee Morgan rose to fame as a member of Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers. The Sidewinder’s title song, with its jaunty soul jazz groove and infectious horn motifs, was a hit single for Blue Note and helped the parent album become the label’s best-selling LP. Aside from the more commercial-oriented title track, the remaining four cuts offered something different, showing the young 25-year-old musician exploring deeper jazz grooves such as ‘Totem Pole’ and ‘Hocus Pocus’. Morgan’s foil is tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, whose tone is robust and earthy in comparison with the trumpeter’s soaring, gilded sound. Offering solid support is the rhythm section, comprising Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins.

Key song: ‘The Sidewinder’

Enjoy

Dave

12 Likes

Marian McPartland’s Hickory House Trio - Reprise / 1999 Concord / EU CD / CCD 48532
Recorded Live 16 / 17 Sept 1998 at Birdland NYC

@Nick1940 After reading your posts here, I borrowed this CD yesterday from my Dads collection. The disc has Joe Morello on Drums and Bill Crow on Bass, and sounds really great. I was talking to him about the time we went to see Marian play at a small venue outside Bristol a number of years ago, and how amazing she was.

4 Likes

Sunday playlist starts with this stunning one
Iver

Dad would seem a man of good,honest taste;and probably of a certain age.
I keep an eye out for that cd but it never comes up at the right price.Reprise being the important word.
N

1 Like