Jazz Music Thread

Nick the only mention is “Photo by Francis Wolff. Cover design by Reid K. Miles” if that can be of any help.

Claude

Thank you. Miles,no not that one,was never too much involved in frippery.

I think those generic cannabis leaves around photo misguided me.
As they have done in the past. :smirk::smirk:

N

1 Like

On the BBC IPlayer

New I think, Billie Holliday doc based on previously unheard tape recorded interviews, looks worth a watch.

in the late 1960s journalist Linda Lipnack Kuehl set out to write the definitive biography of Billie. Over the next decade, she tracked down and tape-recorded interviews with the extraordinary characters that populated the iconic singer’s short, tumultuous life.

Raw, emotional and brutally honest, these incredible testimonies ranged from musical greats like Charles Mingus, Tony Bennett, Sylvia Syms and Count Basie to her cousin, schoolfriends, lovers, lawyers, pimps and even the FBI agents who arrested her. But Linda’s book was never finished, and the tapes remained unplayed – until now.

BBC Two - Billie: In Search of Billie Holiday

BBC

BBC Two - Billie: In Search of Billie Holiday

Documentary showcasing American legend Billie Holiday.

:heart:

3 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this one FR, I found a copy last week and it arrived yesterday. The quality is great and the music very enjoyable! :+1::smiley:

1 Like

I got mine on Saturday. I haven’t listened to it yet though, hopefully sometime this week.

2 Likes

Cobham with a.o. Abercrombie, M&R Brecker, George Duke… recommended.

4 Likes

One of the last of Blue Note’s ‘Rare Groove’ CD issues.

2 Likes

:+1::+1:

1 Like

Hoff Ensembly and a fantastic album Polarity. Primarily piano jazz. Superbly recorded as well
Iver

5 Likes

This is an album which I have used a couple of times as reference for testing a new setup, in very high sampling rate - very audiophile and very recommended

2 Likes

Hi @BertBird , you are spot on; there is so much “in” in this album that makes it attractive. Like it a lot
Iver

1 Like

Fahir Atakoglu with a great group of musicians.

3 Likes

And another Atakoglu for today. Live with one of my weak spots: Alain Caron. Caron’s solo halfway in song #3 is thrilling.

3 Likes

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Benny Carter had already been a major jazz musician for nearly 30 years when he recorded this particularly strong septet session for Contemporary. With notable contributions from tenor saxophonist Ben Webster, trombonist Frank Rosolino and guitarist Barney Kessel, Carter (who plays a bit of trumpet on “How Can You Lose”) is in superb form on a set of five standards and two of his originals. This timeless music is beyond the simple categories of “swing” or “bop” and should just be called “classic.”

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

Was listening to this last night :grin:

1 Like

How about this one…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Altoist/arranger Benny Carter’s classic Further Definitions is a revisiting, instrumentation-wise, to the famous 1937 session that Carter and tenor saxophonist Coleman Hawkins made in France with two top European saxophonists (Andre Ekyan and Alix Combelle) and guitarist Django Reinhardt. The all-star group (which also includes Hawkins, altoist Phil Woods, Charlie Rouse on second tenor, pianist Richard Katz, guitarist John Collins, bassist Jimmy Garrison, and drummer Jo Jones) performs a particularly inspired repertoire. Carter’s charts, which allow Hawkins to stretch out on “Body and Soul,” give everyone a chance to shine. “Honeysuckle Rose” and “Crazy Rhythm” hold their own with the 1937 versions, and “Blue Star” and “Doozy” prove to be two of Carter’s finest originals. Although Benny Carter was not actively playing much at the time (this was his only small-group recording during 1963-1975), he is heard in typically prime form. Very highly recommended.

Enjoy

Dave

PS Thanks to @nick1940 for the earlier Benny Carter recommendation reminding me what a great composer, arranger and musician he was.

3 Likes

If we are talking about “Ezz-Thetics” there are several other versions on Qobuz with all tracks.

Very true but maybe there’s a reason?

If you compare the others with the Keepnews version its pretty obvious which is superior audio wise.

With these out of copyright albums my preference is always for the original label were possible.

Dave

2 Likes