Jazz Music Thread

I had a paid account with Spotify up until about a year ago then switched to Qobuz when the price came down.
I have to say I have gone back to Spotify from time to time and they often have albums not on Qobuz.
It’ll be interesting when the HiFi version rolls out later in the year but I think the curation is far better on Qobuz but we can always refer back to AllMusic.com of course. :grinning:
Another factor for me now is Spotify would have to be integrated with Roon.

Dave

Not sure if I should post here or in the what am I listening to thread.
I heard a track from this last night on Jamie Cullens R2 show.

I hadn’t heard of the album so Amazon HD this am and wow what a combination of talents. Willie Nelson plays jazz, who knew?
Nelson and Marsalis with the piano of Dan Nimmer had me emotional. It’s one of those live recordings that make you wish you were in the audience.

I posted here also because of the lack of love for Amzon. Without the streaming technology and Amazon and others services I probably wouldn’t have taken the chance on ordering an unknown album from an independent supplier, not knowing whether it would arrive, the condition it would be in or the possibilities of returning it. Streaming in high quality at a very affordable price works for me. On the Amazon delivery service, I have received 10 albums over the last week from Amazon, all well packed and in perfect condition. One was the wrong album, I requested a return, printed out a postage paid label, posted it and received a refund the next day. No complaints here.
There is a complaint from me directed not just at Amazon but at all corporates that evade tax in the countries where they operate but thats not specific to Amazon.

Arrived this morning

Charlie Parker The Mercury & Clef 10" Box

Tbh the presentation is not as good as the recent Craft records Savoy set which had a heavier duty laminated slip case and individual Tip On sleeves. This Universal Music set has a lighter weight matt finish slip case and the individual sleeves are basic lightweight card but the art work appears clear and well defined. Nice booklet but probably nothing here that seasoned Bird fans wont have seen before.
If the all important sound and pressing is good I will be very happy with this, will report back if anyones interested

:heart:

2 Likes

All three parts are great and on Tidal.

1 Like

Hey @frenchrooster you cant possibly “like” my Charlie Parker post, this music was recorded late 40’s & 50’s :wink:

I wanted to reply and explain why I liked the post :joy:. You were quicker.
I like the physical aspect, the box, the nice pictures inside. You have made to you a nice gift.
Are these lps analogue work?

You know I was joking.
I very much doubt its analogue, says mastered by Alex Abrash AA mastering.
Listening now, sounds very clear and sweet. I have CD’s of Nows The Time & Strings, might do a comparison but first impression I think these vinyl replicas sound better. I dont have original or analogue re issue vinyl to compare, on their own merit these sound fine to me.
On another forum someone reckoned that these sound close to the original 10" records, I’m not sure about that.
I bought it really to partner the lovely Craft Savoy set.
I just love the reproduction 10" format, pity UMe couldnt have presented the individual records in Tip On sleeves as Craft did, but still a nice set to have.

1 Like

@frenchrooster
This article says newly remastered audio from the original analogue tapes but theres no mention in the credits of the box set

1 Like

Wow, never heard of them, but they are here to stay on my wantlist. @frenchrooster , you know this?

Nope, but will check as soon as I can. Thanks.

I think when you start, you will be on Discogs in 10 seconds only to be disappointed by the one (1!) on sale :sunglasses:

1 Like

Done :joy::chicken:

A recent reissue

1 Like

What? Where? Who? How? ??
I see, I had no idea of a reissue. Cool, will order!

1 Like

There are some on eBay. Didn’t found on Discogs. Only two at poor condition and very high prices.

1 Like

Very interesting album, sort of an odd doped mix between headhunters, marcos resende and PM’s offramp…cool

1 Like

Yes, heard it quickly on YouTube but seems very promising.

Fiume even on Apple Music

1 Like

I meant “found”

I don’t know if any of you guys will have heard it - but “Kind of Blue” by a guy called Miles Davis is a great record.

It’s not very well known - but definitely worth checking out! :joy::joy::joy:

(Could be a separate thread showing how many copies of it each of us own - I reckon in all formats I’ll probably have 15 different versions)

1 Like

Dave